Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
Results 276 to 287 of 287

Track bikes for large humans?

  1. #276
    Rookie Rada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Granville, NY
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?


    I have not been following the bouncing ball here..

    I thought I would chime in. I'm bigger than average and ran my Duke 790 the last two days at Palmer. Yeah. It's dandy for big lads.
    I'm beyond in love with this bike.

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #277
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    masshole
    Posts
    24

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    I have not been following the bouncing ball here..

    I thought I would chime in. I'm bigger than average and ran my Duke 790 the last two days at Palmer. Yeah. It's dandy for big lads.
    I'm beyond in love with this bike.
    I saw a pic of a guy on duke and a guy on a motard on the facebook group of instructors. Is that you?. Do you have to alter the suspension to fit the bigger folks. i hate to spend a few thousand for a brand new track purpose bike.

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #278
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,011

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    Yes, that's him.
    Joel was the instructor next to him on the Husky 701 Supermoto.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #279
    ^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,194

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    Quote Originally Posted by satz View Post
    Do you have to alter the suspension to fit the bigger folks.
    As Colin mentioned that was me on the 701SM and Adam on the 790.

    To answer your question about suspension, the sad truth would be yes. The bikes are designed and tested with a much lower rider weight in mind. Even if you were the same weight rider as the bike was designed for you might want to have the suspension done though. The manufacturers are balancing a lot of things when they spec out a configuration to be sold to public at a certain price point. Having a reputable suspension shop get the correct springs and redo the valving to your riding style/preferences will always work out to be better. The 790 apparently comes stock with some pretty basic suspension components and so people that are buying them for track use have been upgrading their bits to more adjustable components. I haven't even looked at what I should do to my 701 suspension as of yet. For the pace that I am trying to ride at I have been pretty comfortable with what it came with. That being said, if I were to have the suspension done I am sure the difference would be night and day.

    1 Not allowed!

  5. #280
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,011

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    You haven't even done springs, have you?
    Are you still running the stock tires?!

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #281
    ^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,194

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    You haven't even done springs, have you?
    Are you still running the stock tires?!
    I have not modified the suspension in any way from delivery.

    The stock tires carried me through most of the first season of track riding this bike and I have been on Pirelli Rosso Corsas since then and just about ready to go to my second set. I do have a set of the stock Conti Sport Attack tires in my garage in the event that I have an emergency need for tires.

    1 Not allowed!

  7. #282
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    masshole
    Posts
    24

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    As Colin mentioned that was me on the 701SM and Adam on the 790.

    To answer your question about suspension, the sad truth would be yes. The bikes are designed and tested with a much lower rider weight in mind. Even if you were the same weight rider as the bike was designed for you might want to have the suspension done though. The manufacturers are balancing a lot of things when they spec out a configuration to be sold to public at a certain price point. Having a reputable suspension shop get the correct springs and redo the valving to your riding style/preferences will always work out to be better. The 790 apparently comes stock with some pretty basic suspension components and so people that are buying them for track use have been upgrading their bits to more adjustable components. I haven't even looked at what I should do to my 701 suspension as of yet. For the pace that I am trying to ride at I have been pretty comfortable with what it came with. That being said, if I were to have the suspension done I am sure the difference would be night and day.
    Thanks even in my previous bikes, i usually buy front springs and rear spring for 200 or so and swap them. that seem to fix most of the issues for me. Probabily do it, even though it not as good as custom work. Its cheap.

    my current sv has damping rods drilled, race tech springs and preload adjustors i installed form a part out race bike which i got for 90 bucks and a 30 dollar zx636 shock so i am not bottoming the suspension...Its night and day between before and after.

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #283
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    masshole
    Posts
    24

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    Yesterday track day was fun. the bike fit has improved. i was afraid i am going to touch down the peg so was hanging off alot. the boots did touch down.

    werid, my elbow and knees are touching while hanging off... i felt my elbow is going to touch before my knee haha would that be something
    the clipons gave me the upper body length and the pegs felt good ...

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #284
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    masshole
    Posts
    24

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    I quit trying to fit the sv650 and put it on facebook market place for 1200 and sold it in an hour.....

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #285
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    9,827

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    First track day this season a while back. Iíd bee doing stretches but my knees still didnít have enough flexion to move very well on the bike [GSX-R with 1Ē taller seat]. First couple sessions were rough, and I demoted myself to Red group.

    By noon they were loosening up. Brought a bicycle and riding that between sessions helped. Really been working on them for the days coming up in August.

    Lost 20 lbs since last season, I feel better but it didnít help with my knees.


    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 07-29-19 at 06:44 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

  11. #286
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    masshole
    Posts
    24

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    What about a KTM 690 there is a cheap one near me and yes its not the 790 but what the heck i am bald,old and creaky so.... i will do a spring upgrade. i have a 1.0 race tech brank new spring for a sv650 so cut the washer and fit that sucker. I think the ktm is also a 43mm fork.
    put a heavier spring out rear and go track riding... will keep me slow and cheap. any thoughts.

    Also, as i do not have my fjr i can take it with me every where with a hitch rack on my truck in the winter during winter vaca down south

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by satz; 09-03-19 at 09:43 AM.

  12. #287
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Track bikes for large humans?

    I have a 690 duke for sale set up for 200 pounds with quality shock and fork internals. Pm if interested

    1 Not allowed!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Similar Threads

  1. best track-only bike for a large monkey?
    By Frankenstein in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-12-09, 03:49 PM
  2. Track days that rent bikes?
    By bostongixxer in forum General Track Day Talk
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-27-09, 11:42 AM
  3. track bikes
    By imkindafkedup in forum For Sale
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-25-08, 11:32 AM
  4. DOG'S PET PEEVES ABOUT HUMANS:
    By oreo_n2 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-02, 01:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •