Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Track bikes for large humans?

Re: Track bikes for large humans?

ride it as is until you find out what you like and/or hate...the stock 'spenders and tires might be faster than you...(i have absolutely no idea of your abilities or lack thereof) oxx's sv1k has stock suspension (i think), he's a big dude (with a loud mouth), and he rips it pretty dang fast (like way faster than me)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Well, the search is over. Just gave a deposit on a pristine 2008 SV650SF. Going to try and get the truck down there this afternoon to pick it up.

Suspension is definitely too soft, working on upgrades now. FWIW distance from pegs to seat on the V-Strom with Tall saddle is 21", SV650S 18".

1. Is there anyplace locally to get a rear stand?

2. Should I replace the Suzuki frame sliders with Motosliders?

3. Should I order swingarm sliders before I hit the track (literally and figuratively)?

4. Are stock brake pads OK to start? They're virtually new.

5. Tires are low miles but three or more years old. Replace?

6. A buddy is adamant that I need a steering damper. True?

Last edited by Garandman; 08-31-10 at 11:31 AM.

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

you settled for a 650? why not a bigger bike?

Put some proper sporty tires on it and ride it before you bother with anything else for track days.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.734 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman
    Well, the search is over. Just gave a deposit on a pristine 2008 SV650SF. Going to try and get the truck down there this afternoon to pick it up.

Suspension is definitely too soft, working on upgrades now. FWIW distance from pegs to seat on the V-Strom with Tall saddle is 21", SV650S 18".

1. Is there anyplace locally to get a rear stand?

2. Should I replace the Suzuki frame sliders with Motosliders?

3. Should I order swingarm sliders before I hit the track (literally and figuratively)?

4. Are stock brake pads OK to start? They're virtually new.

5. Tires are low miles but three or more years old. Replace?

6. A buddy is adamant that I need a steering damper. True?
    Support the businesses that support NESR. Get your pit bull rear stand from boston moto or your woodcraft one from Duncan Moto.

i could sell u my 2004 sv1000 with all the goodies on it and gmd suspesion, I raced it in august and had a hard time cuz its to big for me, im only 5'8 and i need a 600

Quote Originally Posted by ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן View Post
    you settled for a 650? why not a bigger bike?
    Because about 90% of the suggestions on three different forums were an SV650. There was a small but vocal SM contingent, but few riders familiar with NHMS thought a more powerful bike would benefit me at this stage, even with my immense mass. It's an experiment in progress: I've been to a total of three track days in my life, so this is a big step up compared to my last three bikes: a KLR650 and two V-Stroms.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Support the businesses that support NESR. Get your pit bull rear stand from boston moto or your woodcraft one from Duncan Moto.
    Wilco!

Last edited by Garandman; 09-01-10 at 05:26 AM.

leave the suzuki sliders, they're already there.

yes on axle sliders.

leave the stock pads in the rear. get good ones for the front.

the tires have any dry rot? if not, i'd run em at least to shake the thing down. maybe get a td or 2 out of em.

i don't think you need a steering damper. maybe something to put on the list for the winter. it's nice to have, but not necessary.

edit. all this stuff is available through duncanmoto. if you're like me, you'll walk out with a new helmet too. fitted with magic hands.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 09-01-10 at 05:22 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchy21 View Post
    i could sell u my 2004 sv1000 with all the goodies on it and gmd suspesion, I raced it in august and had a hard time cuz its to big for me, im only 5'8 and i need a 600
    Thanks, that would have been appealing, you are exactly 24 hours too late!

I have another question. Do I need to worry about this bike getting stolen? We live on a hill so park on the sidewalk facing uphill in front of the house. It's between two trees so it doesn't inconvenience any passers-by, and is always covered. The question has been asked on stromtrooper and to my knowledge the number of V-Stroms stolen per year in North America is zero.

But an almost-sportbike is a different story. Should I chain it to a tree?

Last edited by Garandman; 09-01-10 at 09:19 AM.

What's your address?!

Jk. I think you know the answer to that 1.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

I'd lock your steering so thieves can't just click it into neutral and roll down the hill into their getaway vehicle. I would 100% chain (along with several other means of security *rotor lock, security system) it to a tree every night if I were forced to leave it outside, don't underestimate people's wants.

I'd definately look into storage options especially over the winter. Look further out of the city and prices will drop. There's a place in Saugus that has 10x10's for about 75 a month. Other than that, yes if you leave your stuff outside chain it, with a good chain... and claymores.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    What's your address?!
    YouTube- Gran Torino - Get Off My Lawn _HD

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I'd definately look into storage options especially over the winter. Look further out of the city and prices will drop. There's a place in Saugus that has 10x10's for about 75 a month. Other than that, yes if you leave your stuff outside chain it, with a good chain... and claymores.
    I have a basement and winter storage, in fact this bike will only be there a few days until I put it away. Just want to get some break-in miles in and make sure everything is OK as it has been sitting since last summer. Then it goes to GMD Computrack.

Still have to decide about tires. I could get a few bucks for the OEM (Dunlop D220?) takeoffs as they only have 1,300 miles on them. Advice on keeping them or replacing them is split about 50/50.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-01-10 at 09:31 AM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My suggestions are as follows: (this is based on what you will eventually have to do as you get faster)

Do the front end: either have gmd race tech it or put a gsxr front end on

Do the rear: don't fall for that shock swap crap. Spend the $ and get a penske or a elka or similar

Gearing: I run 14/44. You can do the same it similar (15/47) I did the front because it was cheaper but if your doing a 520 conversion then either one will do.

Good brake pads are your friend, especially since the stock calipers are only 2 piston. Getting a radial master for the stock calipers works wonders. If you swap to gsxr forks/brakes this won't be necessary.

Stock tires on the sv are sport touring tires, they suck. If this is a track only bike then either spend the $ on some some track rubber or buy some take offs from someone (DOTs)
    I don't use a steering damper. I just put some sand in the steering bearings...j/k. With the bike power, or lack there of, I think it just preference. If you want one get one.

Swingarm sliders are a good idea and they double as rearstand spools.

I also suggest that once you figure out what front end youre gonna run and if this is going to be a track only bike that spare wheels are a great idea and eventually some rain tires mounted to those time just in case your trackday gets damp it won't ruin your day. And again if this becomes a track weapon then sell all that nice shiny bodywork and gas tank to buy some race bodywork and a rashed tank.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 09-01-10 at 11:09 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    My suggestions are as follows: (this is based on what you will eventually have to do as you get faster)

Do the front end: either have gmd race tech it or put a gsxr front end on

Do the rear: don't fall for that shock swap crap. Spend the $ and get a penske or a elka or similar

Gearing: I run 14/44. You can do the same it similar (15/47) I did the front because it was cheaper but if your doing a 520 conversion then either one will do.

Good brake pads are your friend, especially since the stock calipers are only 2 piston. Getting a radial master for the stock calipers works wonders. If you swap to gsxr forks/brakes this won't be necessary.

Stock tires on the sv are sport touring tires, they suck. If this is a track only bike then either spend the $ on some some track rubber or buy some take offs from someone (DOTs)

I don't use a steering damper. I just put some sand in the steering bearings...j/k. With the bike power, or lack there of, I think it just preference. If you want one get one.

Swingarm sliders are a good idea and they double as rearstand spools.

I also suggest that once you figure out what front end youre gonna run and if this is going to be a track only bike that spare wheels are a great idea and eventually some rain tires mounted to those time just in case your trackday gets damp it won't ruin your day. And again if this becomes a track weapon then sell all that nice shiny bodywork and gas tank to buy some race bodywork and a rashed tank.
    Thanks, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for - you guys are my new best friends!

Ordered the Penske two-way shock from GMD Computrack on 8/31 as they were on sale. He has the emulators and springs in stock so when the shock comes in I'll bring it down to him.

Gearing, I was thinking of going to a V-Strom (15 tooth) countershaft sprocket - I can probably use the stock chain with that. Think that's worthwhile?

I think the guys at Duncan Moto stock Galfer pads - good choice for the front?

Think I'll check out some of the track day tire deals and just ebay the stockers. I know this is a religious argument but, Dunlops?

I'm planning to get spools/sliders for a stand.

Over the winter perhaps I can look for another set of wheels on eBay and go from there. Presumably the front should have rotors, or do you swap those as well?

Last edited by Garandman; 09-02-10 at 12:42 PM.

Kind of excited about something I learned today.

The DL650 is too long (90") to fit in our Ford Transit Connect. The TC is a compact Ford van built in Turkey.

Even when I pushed the front wheel up to the console.

We have a Chevy Express van, and while a great tool the load floor is higher, the roof is lower, and it doesn't get the kind of mpg the TC does. But I noted that the spec sheet for the SV says it is only 82.5" long.

I pushed the SV all the way in.

It fits!

So now driving around with it for upgrades, events etc is much more convenient! Built in wheel chock!

Last edited by Garandman; 09-02-10 at 02:37 PM.

I kinda want one of them lil vans.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ted will take care of you on the pad thing
    When shopping for wheels try to get them with rotor
    Stock gearing on that is like 15/44 or 45. Like I said, 14/44 or 15/46,47 is good for NHMS and a lot of other tracks also. I use 3-6 at NHMS with this gearing

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I personally like dunlops but you need to see what you like.

Trackday tire deals are good. I've ridden the contis that BOMO sells and they are a good TD tire. As you start going faster then you can start trying other brands (take offs are good for this and way cheaper than buying new) this will allow you to jump from tire brand to tire brand without going broke and still get a feel for the differences that they all offer.
    Talk to Duncan MOTO about steelbraided lines too

Last edited by SVRACER01; 09-02-10 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Because about 90% of the suggestions on three different forums were an SV650. There was a small but vocal SM contingent, but few riders familiar with NHMS thought a more powerful bike would benefit me at this stage, even with my immense mass. It's an experiment in progress: I've been to a total of three track days in my life, so this is a big step up compared to my last three bikes: a KLR650 and two V-Stroms.

Wilco!
    Did you by any chance stop earlier this summer by Street and Comp and ask for suggestions for what bike would be good for a track bike for NHMS?
    congrats on your new toy

Quote Originally Posted by dudutzu View Post
    Did you by any chance stop earlier this summer by Street and Comp and ask for suggestions for what bike would be good for a track bike for NHMS?
    congrats on your new toy
    Wasn't me. Where is that business?

Ive got a 2004 sv1000 thats big for me and im 5'8, its race ready with all the goodies u could think of. Ifyour interested i would be willing to sell or trade if you have anything in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Stopped by Duncan Moto this afternoon and bought some swing arm spools and some other stuff.

Well, still feel like a circus bear on a tricycle but I've been having fun. Cranked up the suspension and I've been about wearing out Wampatuck Road, though not at any speed.

My left knee has some damage so it's mighty tight. Have to try one with rearsets and see if that feels better. Until then I'll just take Vitamin I and deal. Think these would help? VFW Vario footpeg mounts. Or should I try a bike with rearsets?

The mirrors offer a great view of my elbows....

I can't remember the last time anyone approached me to talk about the V-Strom. Now it seems everyone wants to stop and chat. Just met a guy who is probably in his late 60's: hew owns a BSA Gold Star and a 2001 SV650. And told me he's looking for an FI bike because he's had problems with the carbs after the bike sits.

Then, a dude got off a full-dress Harley and walked up. Turns out his other bike is a Ducati Monster - wouldn't have guessed in a million years.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-06-10 at 07:00 AM.

I'm going to get some more track day oriented tires while the OEM tires are still relatively new and thus salable.

Seems like a lot of SV riders go to a 120/70 instead of the stock 120/60. Any reason not to do this? Sure seems to make tire availability a lot better.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast