Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Track Day

First Track Day

Looking to book my first track day for sometime in September, any recommendations on first company to go with (Penguin, TTD, Fishtail, ect)?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #473
    Thanks to my 2017 sponsors: Dunlop, Sidi, Woodcraft, Bell

Re: First Track Day

I've only done one with TonysTrack Days. I like the way it was run, the staff and whole experience. That being said, I believe all the organizations run great days, some more suited for racers.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Ive done a handful of Tony's and a handful of Fishtail. Both are really good, but I preferred the Fishtail crowd. Penguin is more of a racing school, which never interested me.

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

I did TTD and TPM and I liked my TTD experience better. That said the TPM experience was at NYST which is still under construction and has really crappy facilities for watching the bikes and for pitting and classroom areas. With TTD I was at NHMS which is a much easier track to ride and safer and the facilities are much better because its been around a long time and they have nascar races there. I've heard NJMP is also a good first track and its less technical than NHMS, but I've never been.

Every track day company at NHMS has an intro to track day program. Along with that they have a beginner group where the pace is very moderate. Boston Moto has an even August 12th. I'm not sure about the other company's dates but TTD usually has an even in September and October. I think Fishtail has another event this year as well. Don't discount Penguin. Their Friday events include their 'track experience' which has lots of class time.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Any of the 4 track day vendors for NHMS will give you the experience you're looking for.

My advice? Try them all once and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I'd highly recommend the Penguin Track Experience for a first time track rider. The instruction is really top notch.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

For a beginner I'd say TTD. They really cater to beginners. They are all overall pretty good but for a first trackday IMO ttd almost goes out of their way for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'd highly recommend the Penguin Track Experience for a first time track rider. The instruction is really top notch.
    Really? Iv never done it but I'd assume that they are focused more on people with some track experience.
    Plus BoMo and TTD have intro to track programs.

Lifer

I agree. I've done a couple Tony's and a Penguin. The Penguin was quite an experience, and I learned quite a bit without doubt. But it would not be my first recommendation for a track day newb.

I've not ridden at any trackday program other than Tony's. I won't speak to them.

I can tell you that I have no problem recommending Tony's to anyone who is a comfortably fast street rider looking to improve their skills.

This is not a replacement for an MSF course. You need to be comfortable on your bike regardless of which you decide to go with.

All of them have slightly different gear and machine requirements. No major differences, and for the most part the differences wouldn't take more than a few minutes to change, but just because you are ready for one doesn't mean you will pass the other.

At this point I'm doing a Tony's in September and am discussing having one of my daughter's (19 year old) friends join me, because I know that it will improve his skills and that he will be comfortable with it.

Again, I've only been to Tony's, but it is an extremely professionally run program. I can recommend it.

Every td company is hungry for you as a first timer. Because no matter the company, you'll make a post just like this afterwords. Tony, Bostonmoto, fishtail, penguin, no matter the org, if you make it known you are new, and put the effort into learning, you will be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I've not ridden at any trackday program other than Tony's. I won't speak to them.

I can tell you that I have no problem recommending Tony's to anyone who is a comfortably fast street rider looking to improve their skills.

This is not a replacement for an MSF course. You need to be comfortable on your bike regardless of which you decide to go with.

All of them have slightly different gear and machine requirements. No major differences, and for the most part the differences wouldn't take more than a few minutes to change, but just because you are ready for one doesn't mean you will pass the other.

At this point I'm doing a Tony's in September and am discussing having one of my daughter's (19 year old) friends join me, because I know that it will improve his skills and that he will be comfortable with it.

Again, I've only been to Tony's, but it is an extremely professionally run program. I can recommend it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I just posted a thread in the Penguin sub-section of the forums here.. check it out.

I'm new to the track as well, and have done days with BOMO, Tony's and Penguin. All are very similar with great instruction and a controlled pace, one thing that's nice about BOMO is that for an extra fee you can get one on one instruction all day which I found very helpful for my first time out there, but no matter what event you choose you will have a blast!

Just FYI, but at TTD we have a Personal Instruction program also.

I will mention however, we dissuade first time riders from participating in this as our normal program offers plenty of instruction for the first timer to absorb.

Here's the link to the Personal Instruction page for the more experienced rider that has hit a plateau.
    http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...nstruction.htm

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I'm new to the track as well, and have done days with BOMO, Tony's and Penguin. All are very similar with great instruction and a controlled pace, one thing that's nice about BOMO is that for an extra fee you can get one on one instruction all day which I found very helpful for my first time out there, but no matter what event you choose you will have a blast!
    You may be referring to the "intro" program.
    It's limited to 2 riders per instructor, but often it's less.
    Advanced one on one is often offered too.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 07-29-13 at 02:50 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

2 riders per coach

Fixed.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Really? Iv never done it but I'd assume that they are focused more on people with some track experience.
    Plus BoMo and TTD have intro to track programs.
    the Penguin Track Experience is a track day for first timers. its held on the same day as the race school but they are kept separate from the race school people on track and in the classroom.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 07-29-13 at 03:58 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    the Penguin Track Experience is a track day for first timers. its held on the same day as the race school but they are kept separate from the race school people on track and in the classroom.
    When I was there they opened the track for 'open swim' when it started raining. First time track riders were sharing the track with expert racers doing practice.

Even before the track was opened (before the rain), there was no division between experienced (fast) riders and total noobs within the track experience program.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    When I was there they opened the track for 'open swim' when it started raining. First time track riders were sharing the track with expert racers doing practice.

Even before the track was opened (before the rain), there was no division between experienced (fast) riders and total noobs within the track experience program.
    I thought they were a separate session under normal days. I know they don't normally run expert/amateur fast guys with the beginners. I know they combine novice racer practice with basic school people in the afternoon sessions but I don't know if the track experience people are included in that. the rain and doing open track in the afternoon is a situational thing that was dictated by the weather.

asking Eric would be the way to go.

I've done BOMO....excellent. TTD...excellent. Fishtail i've done so many i can't remember the #...excellent. All of those will help a new track rider. Did a bunch of NESBA days with mixed feelings at best. NHMS, NJMS, Pocono, NYST are all great places to do a day or two.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

What's a trackday?

Every experience is what YOU make it! Pick one and go have the time of your life!

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynnus View Post
    Every experience is what YOU make it! Pick one and go have the time of your life!
    This

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

"Open swim" is only something that we do when it is raining and there are very few bikes on the track. This is not super common, but if it's raining at the end of the day and no one is really going out, we will open up the track and let anyone ride that wants to ride. There are large gaps between riders in this case, and generally only 5-6 out there in total.

Our Track Experience Course is for anyone who wants an introduction to the racetrack. There are no racers in that class at all, and there are passing rules (unlike our other groups). It is true that there is no division between the brand new riders and more experienced ones - but the class size is always less than 25 making for very comfortable track density.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast