Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Track Day Helmet Rules

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Track Day Helmet Rules

I see some of the track day places have a rule that any helmet with any visible crash damage will be rejected. How picky do they get on this? I've got 2 helmets that fit me. Neither have any "crash" damage, but the better of the two has some marks on it from falling off the peg, rolling on the driveway, etc. I'll bring both in case, and double-check that the other one doesn't have any visible damage at all, but I'm wondering how strick these policies are. Obviously a clearly broken helmet that's smashed off the road and broken the gel coat exposing fiberglass weave would be failed, and a minor scratch is ok, but where's the line?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Track Day Helmet Rules

The tech guys check for a up to date snell and dot and they will pull back the liner see if there is and cracks, dents or wear to the foam if all looks good your good to go.....scratches arn't a big deal but if the foam inside is damaged I would opt for another.....

post pics. My guess is that if you're concerned enough to post a thread it's probably bad enough to raise some eyebrows at tech.
    Age is a factor too. If it's near 5yrs old I'd replace it. (if it's over 5yrs I'd replace it even if it has no damage).

Just throw some stickers over the damage. Not that Id ever do that myself or condone such activity.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I can throw up some pics of at least one of them (the one I'd like to use, but am not sure about) tonight. I didn't know track days had an age cutoff though, I thought that was just for actual racing. I think it's 6-7 years old. Oh well, helmet was on the list with boots & back protector anyway, I just didn't think it was something I'd need to buy right off for track days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    I just didn't think it was something I'd need to buy right off for track days.
    The dates arent a requirement for track days, but its still a good idea. Your noodle doesnt know the difference crashing at a track day or a race.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

what he said...
    Here's the wordage from BostonMoto:

-HELMET: SNELL, BSI, ECE OR DOT APPROVED HELMET. HELMETS WITH ANY
    VISIBLE CRASH DAMAGE WILL BE REJECTED. IF YOUR HELMET DOES NOT PASS TECH, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RIDE.

It'd be a shame to get sent home b/c of a helmet that it seems you already have some doubts about.

I know I need to replace it due to age anyway, I guess this is just verification that I need to do it before the start of the season rather than mid season. Damnit. I like that helmet, too! Oh well. Good thing I didn't impulse-buy that CRF50 while I was picking up my top end at lunch today.

Mike, I agree it would be a wicked shame to get sent home over it, which is why I planned to bring the other one that has basically no markings at all. It's even older though, and doesn't fit me quite as well. I already know a helmet is nothing to play around with, I guess the thread was fairly stupid and kind of to reinforce what I already know. I need a new helmet, too, damnit.

I know I need to replace it due to age anyway, I guess this is just verification that I need to do it before the start of the season rather than mid season. Damnit. I like that helmet, too! Oh well. Good thing I didn't impulse-buy that CRF50 while I was picking up my top end at lunch today.

Mike, I agree it would be a wicked shame to get sent home over it, which is why I planned to bring the other one that has basically no markings at all. It's even older though, and doesn't fit me quite as well. I already know a helmet is nothing to play around with, I guess the thread was fairly stupid and kind of to reinforce what I already know. I need a new helmet, too, damnit.
    Yeah, it's just one of those things. I replaced a perfectly sound Arai RX7 last year when it turned 5. Not a scratch on it. If you're looking at doing it mid-season I'd try to come up with the scratch to pick something up sooner rather than later. That way you can do it on your terms as opposed to trying to scramble to find something in a hurry.

At Tony's, if your helmet didn't pass, we'll encourage you to buy a new one from our trackside vendor Street and Competition, or if you can't do that then we'll see if we can find you a loader. Good to have a spare, but if it's old, buy a new one.

Also, at Tony's we wouldn't fail a helmet with cosmetic scratches. But, if it shows ANY questionable damage, then see above.

BTW, we do check fit.

Tony's Track Days says:

HELMET: An UNDAMAGED, full-faced helmet with DOT, SNELL, or BSI rating. A high-quality "flip up" type helmet will also be allowed.

HELMET FIT: It is imperative that your helmet fit properly. There should be no space between your head and face, and the cheek and forehead pads. If anything, the pads should gently compress your face. If you can easily fit a finger between your head and the pads, then your helmet is improperly fitted and may not adequately protect you in a crash.

PLEASE ... DO NOT show up with a "too big" helmet!

Last edited by Ken C; 03-05-09 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    At Tony's, if your helmet didn't pass, we'll encourage you to buy a new one from our trackside vendor Street and Competition, or if you can't do that then we'll see if we can find you a loader. Good to have a spare, but if it's old, buy a new one.

Also, at Tony's we wouldn't fail a helmet with cosmetic scratches. But, if it shows ANY questionable damage, then see above.

BTW, we do check fit.

Tony's Track Days says:

HELMET: An UNDAMAGED, full-faced helmet with DOT, SNELL, or BSI rating. A high-quality "flip up" type helmet will also be allowed.

HELMET FIT: It is imperative that your helmet fit properly. There should be no space between your head and face, and the cheek and forehead pads. If anything, the pads should gently compress your face. If you can easily fit a finger between your head and the pads, then your helmet is improperly fitted and may not adequately protect you in a crash.

PLEASE ... DO NOT show up with a "too big" helmet!
    Cool. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to part with this one (aside from the obvious, $) is that it fits me so darn well. Very minor case of chipmunk cheeks, no shake no matter how hard I shake my head, but it's still comfortable to wear all day. I have a big head, and most helmets i've worn that were tight enough to compress my cheeks a bit and feel like they were tight enough were uncomfortable somewhere else, usually the dome of my dome. I might post some pics of it tonight just because I'm curious if it's damage would get it DQ'd, but it's pretty clear the right thing to do is to just buy a new helmet. Damnit.

At least i didn't buy a pit bike today when I was getting the top end. Sure was tempting. Anyone want an 05 CRF50 for $600, or an 01 CRF50 for $400? I almost took one of them back from lunch today.

Might I suggest a Shoei RF1000? You can find them for around $300.00 for solids and they have replacement cheek pads for a custom fit. So do other brands.

go see pat at seacoast! she fit me up for a new lid yesterday.

Thanks for the replies. Based on the shape of my dome I think I need custom pads at the point of my head on most brands though I'll definitely hit up a few shops trying stuff on, and I'll keep an eye out for said Shoei. Thanks for the tip.

Catch - Which seacoast?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    -HELMET: SNELL, BSI, ECE OR DOT APPROVED HELMET. HELMETS WITH ANY
    VISIBLE CRASH DAMAGE WILL BE REJECTED. IF YOUR HELMET DOES NOT PASS TECH, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RIDE.
    Just to be clear... The "assumed" part of the above is that if your helmet does not pass tech you will not be allowed to ride WITH THAT HELMET. You certainly could tech with a new helmet and make everyone happy. My goal was to prevent you from having to go through that on the morning of a trackday when you should just be happy about being at the track Sounds like everyone is on the same page with their advice (except for Richie's sticker idea )

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 03-05-09 at 04:20 PM.

Try an Arai if you've got a pointy head.

Sharp enough to crack a coconut on. I'll check them out, don't think I've ever worn one. Thanks.

Talk to someone that knows Arai helmets, each model has a different shape to it. Match the shape to the head, and you're a happy camper. Mismatch, and well, you know how that feels.

That I do - it's one of the reasons I'm so attached to my old HJC. Well, that and the fact that I have a big head so it's kind of stuck on/attached. Possibly the reason for the funny looks at the office?

Thanks for the replies. Based on the shape of my dome I think I need custom pads at the point of my head on most brands though I'll definitely hit up a few shops trying stuff on, and I'll keep an eye out for said Shoei. Thanks for the tip.

Catch - Which seacoast?

http://seacoastsport.com/ - they carry arai, shoei, suomy, and agv i think? patricia is on here too patricia929

I guess the thread was fairly stupid and kind of to reinforce what I already know. I need a new helmet, too, damnit.
    Yes, you do.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100