Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Track Day Lap Timing

Track Day Lap Timing

I am considering using my Garmin 230 running watch as a lap timer. Anyone done such a thing? I was considering buying one of the many GPS based lap timers, but then thought *wait* I have this watch that I use when running with a GPS and it might work as a timer. There are many pluses, like now I can spend the money on a different item for the bike ... my running times will be out of this world! The one concern is how to mount it on the bike so it doesn't fall off and it can lock onto GPS. Curious if anyone has tried this ...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Track Day Lap Timing

I haven't, but there are apps that I've read some okay reviews on out there. There's options besides a dedicated lap timer if you don't need the times to be suuuuuper precise. I'm sure someone here will be able to point you in the right direction

Just going to mention that trackdays are not racing and I have seen a few folks that were more worried about lap times than improving their skills at trackdays end up in less than ideal situations because of it. Not saying its a bad idea, but just be aware that it's not what matters at trackdays...and don't get caught up in thinking that faster laps are what counts.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The QStarz software allows you to slice up the track into sections, the shows you the “theoretical fastest lap” based on the fastest section time in the session.

Would be nice if you could download the tracks from the Garmin.

Nice of you to offer unsolicited advice and come close to assuming you understand his approach.

I suppose the most obvious place to mount it would be on your fork tube assuming it can lock onto GPS being potentially obscured by the fairing. If you're concerned with it being secure, it should be pretty easy to safety wire the clasp.

Lap times are a great way to measure your progress...even if you're not racing! Usually the problem is going to be getting a clean lap without other traffic factoring in. What you will likely end up with is a bunch of data that isn't entirely usable. If you're able to break it down into splits, you'll have more usable data for given sections of a track but it will be that much more complex to sift through. The Garmin Virb is a cool tool to give you video and GPS data if you're considering adding a new piece of equipment.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

It's the internet, my opinion needs to be taken seriously by all

Related to topic, I don't run a GPS but I do run a GoPro and you can pull lap times from them, as well as get video. And then you also have video to send to the guys you catch on your GoPro running off the track trying to beat their best lap times....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by onenut View Post
    It's the internet, my opinion needs to be taken seriously by all

Related to topic, I don't run a GPS but I do run a GoPro and you can pull lap times from them, as well as get video. And then you also have video to send to the guys you catch on your GoPro running off the track trying to beat their best lap times....
    I also just use my gopro timestamps to get an idea of lap times.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Put it in your inside breast pocket?

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle