Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: What type of track time do you prefer?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bare-bones, all day, open track time for more money

1 7.14%
  • Typical track day with instruction, etc for less money

12 85.71%
  • Beet and bemused

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

track day preference

Re: track day preference

Same as you guys. I usually skip 1 or 2 sessions with the current format of most organizers. Having an open swim would have no benefit to me to justify the cost.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I must be a loon then. I rode doubles ALMOST every td, and triples regularly too, while cr-ing. I felt pretty relaxed during the nov & int groups, and could go as fast as I wanted in adv without issue, and sure while it was a TON of laps, I never felt like I was overdoing it. Like forest gump, if I got tired, I rested, if had to go, I went, if I got hungry, I ate.
    Ya'all need to get on your bicycles and do some pedaling. If I were lucky enough to attend an open swim event, I'd strap on a camelback, and only stop for gas.
    I think many of you'd be surprised at what you could do KNOWING you could ride forever, vs trying to go as fast as you absolutely could for 20mins.
    I like this idea, can ya tell?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

As much as open track sounds appealing its just not worth it in any aspect. Even at the expect level at LRRS there are many skill levels and speeds. I certainly dont feel feel comfortable being out there on my motard with people like Scott Greenwood on his r6. Even if we get it 100% he still has around 50mph on me going down the front straight and coming into t1 with the different lines and different braking areas would be a bit hairy.

The three groups is the way to go. It breaks up the day a little for everyone. It helps build a customer base with newer guys. The street guys are the ones that are more likely to pay for multiple days a year not the race guys. I know my bank account for race track time is pretty thin the further the year goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    don't be shy about demoting anyone causing trains or frequent red flags
    This is a good idea but you need to be very careful about demoting people. Track days are as much ego boosting as they are about going fast. I would wager a good number of the people that were to get demoted from the fast group with one organization would just go to a different one and ride with their fast group. Everyone wants to feel fast. Ive ridden around the big bikes with my 450 supermoto like they were standing still. I would often go up to the people to offer some advice to help them improve. Some take it and other talk about how their tires were slipping every where which is a bunch of BS. Only reason their tires might be slipping anywhere is because they are riding too slow on race rubber to keep heat in them. Bump those people down they will go to a different trackday next time.

James

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Ya'all need to get on your bicycles and do some pedaling.
    Yeah yeah, tell me something I don't know..

I imagine the perspective on this is very different if you are a 'fast guy' vs not.

I am far more comfortable and happy with a track packed with people I can predict and trust than sparsely speckled with a few riding wild, inconsistent lines that I can't get a read on. And the ego pass block thing sucks the most. Keep your fucking line.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Yeah yeah, tell me something I don't know..

I imagine the perspective on this is very different if you are a 'fast guy' vs not.

I am far more comfortable and happy with a track packed with people I can predict and trust than sparsely speckled with a few riding wild, inconsistent lines that I can't get a read on. And the ego pass block thing sucks the most. Keep your fucking line.
    Bahahaha! It's the track packed with slowskis that are taking the unpredictable lines and swimming like a school of fish.
    The fast guys generally use pretty consistent lines. The ego pass block thing is less of an issue as the speeds go up too. There's much less of it, actually.
    There are certainly exceptions to every rule, you see your swoopers, but you learn quickly what to expect, and in turn, quickly where it's safe to go around seamlessly.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I agree that the swoopies swoop more consistently in the intermediate groups than in the noob sessions. Not sure I'm sold on the ego bit. Maybe that curve is bell shaped.

One bit of oddness you see is when noobs teach each other bad line. Hey, he went way the hell over there, so I probably should too, right?

How long 'til spring?! This thread is making my throttle hand twitch.

Last edited by nhbubba; 01-02-14 at 09:36 PM.

Hint: only noobs and vintage racers use the big swoop. It's the "street" line that's taught by some td orgs.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I must be a loon then. I rode doubles ALMOST every td, and triples regularly too, while cr-ing. I felt pretty relaxed during the nov & int groups, and could go as fast as I wanted in adv without issue, and sure while it was a TON of laps, I never felt like I was overdoing it. Like forest gump, if I got tired, I rested, if had to go, I went, if I got hungry, I ate.
    Ya'all need to get on your bicycles and do some pedaling. If I were lucky enough to attend an open swim event, I'd strap on a camelback, and only stop for gas.
    I think many of you'd be surprised at what you could do KNOWING you could ride forever, vs trying to go as fast as you absolutely could for 20mins.
    I like this idea, can ya tell?
    as Denzel said in training day; "MY NIGGA"

Move out west and never pay too much again. A trackday at CoTA is same price as Loudon! Lots of places are well under $150. A friend of mine in AZ won't pay $100 for a td and he goes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Some people like the idea of only having 40 people at a track day, though.
    Didn't read the whole thread yet, but people like the idea of only 39 others at a track day, because they either don't understand how to pit in mid-session, or they don't feel comfortable passing. In reality, having 30+ people on track at the same time almost always means there's 1/2 a track wide open. People also like the idea of only 39 other people at the TD until they have to pay for it.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread yet, but people like the idea of only 39 others at a track day, because they either don't understand how to pit in mid-session, or they don't feel comfortable passing. In reality, having 30+ people on track at the same time almost always means there's 1/2 a track wide open. People also like the idea of only 39 other people at the TD until they have to pay for it.
    I'm pretty comfortable passing, which I'd rather do vs pitting in, but I'd really like to not have to worry about either.
    You are awarded no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

And getting back to something that caught my eye earlier, where are these insurance free track days?
    I'm pretty positive no such thing exists.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Yeah, even the "bare-bones" option would have an ambulance (probably 2), corner workers and need to carry an insurance policy.

Hence the less people=more expensive scenario. It seems like besides those few sick bastards (Chip and Sav) most people are on the same page and prefer the standard set up of a track day.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I have found that when I cr, I do ride more sessions in a row. Something about riding at a beginner pace just makes you need more speed.

I've also been cycling like crazy this off season to try and keep the weight down and build up some muscle endurance so I can do gp races next season.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12