Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: What type of track time do you prefer?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bare-bones, all day, open track time for more money

1 7.14%
  • Typical track day with instruction, etc for less money

12 85.71%
  • Beet and bemused

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

track day preference

track day preference

Okay... It's cold and snowing and I'm bored.

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day. Here was his idea for a track day: 40 people. $300 per person. Open track all day. Experienced riders only. Newbies will have to be aware that it is a full speed day, but there would be instruction for them with a staff of about 5.

My argument was that a more structured track day with more people and less track time at a lower price (like $225) would sell better than an all day open track day for more money.

Sooo nesr, who's right?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Re: track day preference

IMHO this idea will again only cater to the racers..and in theory the racers make up less that 1/3 of normal trackday attendance. Seems like you'll still fall short in filling the day. I certainly wouldn't attend a free for all type day, though it sounds like it could be a fun idea if it were just a group of the same people you normally ride with

Yamaha

The numbers and details are examples, so please don't get caught up in semantics. I'm just curious about the option, so plug in your favorite track day provider if that helps. It just comes down to tons of track time with nothing else at a higher rate or less track time and more riders but with more provided at a lesser price.

Discuss...

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Considering a regularly priced td is 240-270, you really aren't paying too much more for open swim.
    I agree that it would certainly be more intimidating for slower riders, but if policed right, could be an absolute blast.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

In the past I've heard of track days with a similar scenario to the open track idea. It'd be a blast to ride if everyone was of similar abilities and behaved courteously. Realistically I'd be worried it'd turn dangerous very quickly and I wouldn't sign up for one. "Experienced riders" is a very broad category and could very easily produce very different closing speeds and lines.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I dont think it would attrack as many people, its hard as it is to get the original 40 the way its done, now you throw in the intimidation...

CCS #31

I'm of the opinion that most people (myself included) get tired quickly. I personally would rather pay less and get less track time than more and get more track time.

LRRS/CCS #66

In all reality you would probably go the same if not even less time out on track if it was open track...i think i would at least

CCS #31

Some people like the idea of only having 40 people at a track day, though.

LRRS/CCS #66

I guess, i mean it really comes down to personal preference....when i do a trackday, unless I'm practicing, i usually go out with someone else to help them, so from my perpective, i would rather the less money and helping people out....if I'm doing a trackday just for doing a trackday

CCS #31

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    In the past I've heard of track days with a similar scenario to the open track idea. It'd be a blast to ride if everyone was of similar abilities and behaved courteously. Realistically I'd be worried it'd turn dangerous very quickly and I wouldn't sign up for one. "Experienced riders" is a very broad category and could very easily produce very different closing speeds and lines.
    If it was invite only that would alleviate a ton of that. There would still be varying ability levels, but if you knew the slower riders, and knew they wouldn't get spooked, you could have a successful recipe.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I've done some days that had two groups, 20 minutes on and then 20 minutes off. I liked that schedule and was pretty spent by the end of the day. I think one group on the track all day would turn into a cluster fuck.

Lifer

The invite only thing would be great.. as long as I'm on the invitee list.

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that most people (myself included) get tired quickly. I personally would rather pay less and get less track time than more and get more track time.
    I'm with you entirely. An 8-9 hour track day with 3 groups running @ 20 min each results in around 3 hours of track time. That's plenty for me, at the stage I'm at now.

I lack the filter and self discipline. As it is I go out and ride hard. I come into the garage in need of a breather. By the end of the day I am wiped. I'm okay with this. Hell, it's my goal. In a day-long open swim session I'd have worn myself out after an hour or two and then either have to sit out the rest or worse; do something stupid.

I'm okay paying less for less in this case.

From a noob/intermediate perspective: Having groups is far more inviting and accessible too. You'd loose out on the entire beginner demographic altogether.

I know it's hard without exact details, it could be two 30 minute sessions an hour. Let's focus less on the details and more on the concept.

More track time/less people, no features = more money

Or

Less track time/more people, full features = less money

LRRS/CCS #66

Lifer

Sorry. Features: I don't need 'em. I'm kind of torn on this one. On one hand I put immense value in the instruction I have received. It really has made me a FAR better rider. On the other, I would be open to doing some without any instruction if the price were lower.

If one program offered some days one way and others with instruction, I'd probably split my time and money 50/50.

I definitely don't put any value in lunches or any features like that. I'll always favor the program that is cheaper but requires I pack a sack lunch vs the one that feeds me but costs more.

^ you'd still be able to find people to ride with, give you a tow, or evaluate at an event like this, I think. If I were there, I'd certainly help ya

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

If it were about racers paying premium prices for open track time, it's unlikely that many track day organizations would be trying to market to non-racers.

The business models have developed the way they have for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    If it were about racers paying premium prices for open track time, it's unlikely that many track day organizations would be trying to market to non-racers.

The business models have developed the way they have for a reason.
    Tell us about the trackdays you've done that haven't conformed to the typical day.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 01-02-14 at 06:30 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Open track is the balls but it requires experienced riders! You can't compare it to a regular TD. I would definitely be game though.

If I had a LOT of money I would be buying days for my 40 best (rider) friends all the time. If I were collecting money from people, I would not go that route.

Paul_E_D

I'd prefer fewer riders to most anything else, even if it means less time.

I'd much rather 3 hours of open track than 8 of getting hung up by roadblocks 90% of the time.

Yeah yeah, just pit in, done it. Ruins your grove. I like my grove to flow. I like riding an open track, or open enough that this doesn't become an issue.

Last edited by TheIglu; 01-02-14 at 07:41 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Not that you'd need one, an ambulance or two? Or was that already figured in the original non insurance track day? Just askin...

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Tell us about the trackdays you've done that haven't conformed to the typical day.
    The 2 vendors that I've ridden with have offered very different programs as far as structure and organization.

Both programs were aimed at "non-racer" types, but approached it very differently.

I get plenty of laps with 3 groups=20 minutes per hour, and I like being grouped with the same group every session, of somewhat similar speed. It's more interesting to able see where people who you know are faster, slower, or the same speed as you.

Therefore, no need for me to pay more for more track time per hour, although it's always nice not to have TOO many other people out there. I'm likely in the minority on this next thing, but I prefer SOME other riders in view rather than an empty track, as long as they are in the ballpark with me speed wise.

4 groups, 15 minutes per hour IS pushing it close to not getting as many laps as I'd like, especially if there are red flags

So my preference is: 3 groups in an hourly rotation, and don't be shy about demoting anyone causing trains or frequent red flags

^^ My feelings exactly.

3/20 leaves me pooped but grinning, and I like the structure of groups of similarly-skilled riders.

For me, the extra dough for the extra time would be a waste.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast