Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good track day tires

I checked out pirellis on mtags site last night. Looks like be goin with the dragon supercorsa pros.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Good track day tires

Quote Originally Posted by Alvecchio View Post
    I should have been more specific with my own details.

Beginner (2 full track days under my belt in red group at tonys) just started getting a feel for traction but that was on a really round profile street tire.

2003 sv650 dedicated track bike. No street use at all. Just looking for a tire that'll be good enough to not have to be thinking about out riding the tires capabilities for a while.

By the sound of it I'll be looking into pirelli as I know they're at ttd and that's where I intend on riding.

Thanks for the input thus far guys :-)
    I'm almost in the same boat and got Pirelli Diablo Rossos for my SV650. The Corsos are newer but the data I had showed they are faster, but only at lean angles of over 30%. I will wear them out before I spend much time running in excess of 30 degree lean angles. But if you are buying now they may not even be available and there's really no downside to going to the Diablo Rosso Corso, and you will find many running them.

Perhaps more germane, I went to a 120/70 sized front tire, which is a pretty common change for SV's. They are far more available in that size than the standard, 120/60. Trackside vendors, TTD etc are likely to have a 120/70 but not a 120/60 without special ordering.

If you go to svrider you will find many threads on this topic.

Stock Dunlop on left.

Another comparison showing the difference in profile. Not surprisingly track-oriented tires tend to be more triangular in shape rather than the stock touring tires.

Last edited by Garandman; 01-21-11 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvecchio View Post
    I checked out pirellis on mtags site last night. Looks like be goin with the dragon supercorsa pros.
    Those are awesome!

As for Garandman's comment on profile (120/70 or 120/60 etc)... don't get hung up on it.

The tires we sell at the track - like most vendors - are the "right" ones and will work great.

Just remind yourself that just about every rider out there passing you is on them. Virtually no one is special ordering any size and bringing it with them.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Dont get too anal about tires if you ride in red/Yellow groups. Any sportbike tire is going to offer you more then you will ever need at red/yellow group speeds. Personally, I run B'stones B016 on the street and at track days and am satisfied with them. They gave me good traction in October when it was 40 degrees out in NHMS and at NJMP in late August when it was 95 degrees out.

I would focus on tire PSI more then the manufactorer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12