Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Track riding improvement plans

Re: Track riding improvement plans

Any idea where to start as far as determining machine problem or rider error for the low top speed? I would say I am getting an average drive out of 18 and rolling off at a reasonable but not aggressive point. Bike is stock w/ slip on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The answer is inevitably some of both.

The easy part is to dyno the bike and see "how" down on power it is. Assuming that it is "significant" the next test is figuring out where the power loss is happening.

Rule of thumb for a car is a loss of 1HP / year of age. IDK for a bike, but it will depend on how hard it's been flogged. Assuming it is down, obvious candidates are fuel delivery (clean / tune the carbs), spark delivery (coils and plugs), and then compression (which is the most expensive to repair). Compression could be as simple as valve adjustment or as complex as pistons and cylinder problems.

Carsick, you hit 122 going uptown? Somehow I doubt that. 110, 115 maybe for the best SV riders out there. Pete, that speed is normal IMO for this track.

Paul_E_D

Nevermind, I don't know what I'm talking about, missed the uptown part. Plus my Qstarz is a Canadian model

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Ride it downtown and you'll learn to turn right. Thompson will help out a lot too. It was difficult for me also for a bit. I think having the throttle on that side makes it a bit sketchier early on. I found keeping relaxed and allowing my right elbow to drop helped a bunch. I know it's cliche but the "grip it like a screwdriver" tip helps a lot. That said, I don't think I was able to really grip like that until I relaxed on the bars. Bottom line is you just need more experience going that direction. If you get a chance to do a day or 2 at NJMP, that'll help a lot.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

I've read a few posts here, and I'll offer two cents worth of input.

To get body position right, it takes time for some people - particularly when you've done tens of thousands of reps doing things a certain way. The way that you burn in any new pattern of muscular movement is to do it with precision every time. If you need to slow down a little bit to do it, then that's time well spent. Most riders cannot ride full speed and make a body position change on the bike. Many racers get stuck several seconds off the pace (forever) because they are unwilling to go slow for a bit (take one step back) in order to raise the ceiling of traction for their bike (two steps forward). It does not matter if you ride at 1:11 at Loudon or 1:41, riding right makes all the difference in the world. Racers use the grip to win, track day and street riders use it to have bigger margins of error everywhere they ride. You can even make progress using visualization and doing reps on an bike that is on a stand.

NJMP is a great place to learn body position, and the long sweeping corners provide opportunity to make adjustments and really feel what is going on....and they have long corners in both directions to boot. We've got spots open at our event this Thursday/Friday if you want to try .

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Woodcraft; 09-09-14 at 11:07 AM.

Lifer

QStarz is neat.

My data shows my best drive NYST uptown got me 107 MPH. As you know, this is a gen-1 SV geared 15/45 with a fairing.
    Best downtown is 115.

I don't think there is a damned thing wrong with your machine. Run it!

The 'tarded DRZ topped out at 93 downtown. Did not move the timer to it for the one session I ran it uptown on Sunday.

My gosh that place is fun! Missed you Monday doode.

Last edited by nhbubba; 09-09-14 at 08:15 AM.

Off season:

Get flexible
    Get otherwise in shape
    Read Tony Foale's book

Lifer

In before Jason: Round is a shape

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456