Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trackday one on one coaching?

Trackday one on one coaching?

I've been doing trackdays now for 7 yrs and have progressed quite nicely up to advanced with Fishtail. Problem is i feel like i have hit a "wall" and find i'm not actually gaining any distance/laps in any given amount of time. In each 20 minute session i'm still going the same distance and/or number of laps. Since nobody is timing me i have no idea if i'm getting faster. How do i get off the plateau and move forward? Does anybody offer one on one coaching? And would it actually help? Anybody ever have the same issue? You're passing other riders and getting passed, so you know you're close. But need a boost of confidence to progress.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

Re: Trackday one on one coaching?

TTD Personalized Instruction
    I've done three over the years. They will help you break some bad habits and help you move forward.

I did this and it really tuned up my riding and opened the door to another level of riding.. Well worth the money.. Especially if you have that kind of track time and have hit the wall.

Penguin advanced is nice. Get a lap timer or a gopro or both and see how fast your really going. Then you can make improvements on that.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I want to do a personal day at nhms with Mr Oreo next year

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I did a 1-1 session with Ken Condon and dropped three seconds from morning to afternoon.

When I got to the point where you're at I started mixing in some Penguin days. Even at other track days I would ask an instructor to follow me for a couple laps and then tow me around. It doesn't always take a full day of instruction to progress, but it never hurts IMO. It depends what you want to do. As far as my riding is concerned, the coaching is what brought me to where I'm at. A lot of, for me, was about being led around by someone who would ride fast enough to have me out of my comfort zone, but not so fast that I was riding over my head. If that makes sense. What was scary fast becomes the new normal, then you try to go a little quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    When I got to the point where you're at I started mixing in some Penguin days. Even at other track days I would ask an instructor to follow me for a couple laps and then tow me around. It doesn't always take a full day of instruction to progress, but it never hurts IMO. It depends what you want to do. As far as my riding is concerned, the coaching is what brought me to where I'm at. A lot of, for me, was about being led around by someone who would ride fast enough to have me out of my comfort zone, but not so fast that I was riding over my head. If that makes sense. What was scary fast becomes the new normal, then you try to go a little quicker.
    The way we teach now works so much better that I rarely have a student follow me for more than a lap or two. The communicators work so well for some people it's like cheating. I feel like the puppet master.

I learned the way you did. Following faster guys. It works to some degree, but the risk is high because I might just ride over my head with the same crappy techniques till I wipe out, or learn better. The "instructor" is nothing more than a carrot. They can't even tell what I'm doing right, or wrong from out in front.

Riding behind the student with the ability to give timely prompts can get the rider actually riding better, not just faster. This allows development of muscle memory for the correct sequence of actions. Now when they add pace, the risk is lower because they are doing it right.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

That's the problem i have, trying to keep up with a faster rider until i get in over my head. I then find myself way out of the correct line just trying to hang on.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Time to try a 1 on 1 with us.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The way we teach now works so much better that I rarely have a student follow me for more than a lap or two. The communicators work so well for some people it's like cheating. I feel like the puppet master.

I learned the way you did. Following faster guys. It works to some degree, but the risk is high because I might just ride over my head with the same crappy techniques till I wipe out, or learn better. The "instructor" is nothing more than a carrot. They can't even tell what I'm doing right, or wrong from out in front.
    Riding behind the student with the ability to give timely prompts can get the rider actually riding better, not just faster. This allows development of muscle memory for the correct sequence of actions. Now when they add pace, the risk is lower because they are doing it right.

I can see how riding with a communicator would be a huge benefit. Part of what I meant about following someone faster was when I would have an instructor follow me, come into the pits and talk about my riding/lines, and then go back out and follow them to be directed onto the line. Not getting over my head as much as having my eyes opened as to which corners I was parking it in.

Wirelessly posted

Where are you riding?

Why are you doing trackdays?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by FAST GSXR750 View Post
    I've been doing trackdays now for 7 yrs and have progressed quite nicely up to advanced with Fishtail. Problem is i feel like i have hit a "wall" and find i'm not actually gaining any distance/laps in any given amount of time. In each 20 minute session i'm still going the same distance and/or number of laps. Since nobody is timing me i have no idea if i'm getting faster. How do i get off the plateau and move forward? Does anybody offer one on one coaching? And would it actually help? Anybody ever have the same issue? You're passing other riders and getting passed, so you know you're close. But need a boost of confidence to progress.
    All you have to do is ask! Fishtail does one on one stuff all day, every day. Seriously, just grab Tim, Robbie, Roy or me. Any of us would be happy to talk about what your goals are and pair you up with the right instructor.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricky Mike; 08-12-14 at 09:53 PM.