Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What will a trackday tell me?

Re: What will a trackday tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I was about 5 days in when I borrowed a Qstarz, and thought " Oh man, that's slow."
    Yep!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    It's like love. It doesn't speak with words. But it will make you feel like you never have before.
    You had me at love!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Back off Tony...

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

What a trackday will really tell you is how broke you are.
    I mean, if you aren't broke now, you will be soon.
    But it's SO worth it.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Soon enough you will be spinning the tire in 6th down the back straight in the Rain Slidewayzzzzz.....

Quote Originally Posted by stanga5o View Post
    ...lap times at certain tracks like NHMS (where I'd do a trackday).
    Since everyone else covered the whole trackday experience pretty well, I'm going to hit on this one.

You say you are planning to do a track day at NHMS. Just don't forget about the new track (or re-built track I should say) in Thompson, CT at Thompson Speedway. It should be about the same distance from Boston, as NHMS is. If you get hooked and feel like traveling a little further, there is NYST also.

Lifer

My advice for a first day is to forget the lap timer, forget the onboard cameras, forget all that crap. Tape over your speedo. Ignore all measurable metrics. They are a waste for a noob.

Measure your success by how much fun you have. Try to pick up reference points. Try to put together 1 or 2 consistent laps. Worry about line and body position. Forget everything else. Shut your mouth and open your ears.

Everyone says it and it is completely true: Your first time out on the track is a blur. It is nearly impossible to remember which corner is coming up, never mind where the line or ref points are. Concentrate on slowing the whole show down and focusing on the task at hand. Looking ahead. Seeing the place. All that.

Nobody cares how slow or fast you are riding. You are not the hot-shot natural you think you are. Someone has gone faster on the same bike you're on. Save the measuring for later.

One thing that is fun to compare is the photos. If a pro is there taking photos, try to preview his shots through the day. John Owens is great this way. He sets up his bank of computers with shots you can go check out at lunch or between sessions. Your mind will be blown at what a crappy rider you look like.

The body position session late in the day was a complete eye opener for me. After ~17 years in the saddle, that one session completely changed my life. Cwazeh eh. (Thanks Adam!)

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 01-16-14 at 08:27 AM.

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Your first few sessions on the track are going to be such an information overload that worrying about extra data during the day is likely to just add to the clutter. Until you can close your eyes and tell me exactly where you are going (not "about" here or there, but with some precision) all the way around the track (and why) then there is plenty to focus on. If you think you need more to do, throw in some body position checks in key areas while you're at it.

There - we've just consumed your first few days on the track. If you want to do something like a GoPro or a GPS timer that's fine....but that data is best played with at home, after the day, and you can use it to help make a plan (and generate some anticipation) for your next day at the track.

Lap times and all the other data are very valuable down the road, but you need to worry about the important stuff first.

A lot of good advice in this thread.

Here's something to consider:
    If you really want to get fast the best thing you can do in the beginning is forget all about it. The reality is that, all things being relative, we're all slow anyway
    The one thing I see time and time again is that new riders who show up and don't care about how fast they are, and instead focus on learning the racing line end up going faster at the end of the day (and doing it much SAFER) than those who arrived and just tried to go fast.

Time invested early in the fundamentals pays HUGE dividends later on and doesn't leave you with bad habits that you'll have to go back and work on once you discover that they have become the limiting factor. I'd suggest forgetting about laptimes entirely in the beginning if you can, and focus on the things that will actually pay off in the long run. Instead of thinking "go fast" think "be smooth" and you'll end up being fast(er). The old "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" exists for a reason.

I think the bottom line is: Come do a trackday, meet a bunch of great folks, listen to your instructors, leave with a huge smile and think of nothing else for the days immediately following. I think you'll get what everyone here is saying once you have one under your belt.
    It's an amazing experience and the only kind of riding I do these days.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Love hearing this stuff from people who've been there before!

I'll forget the timer, I might bring the camera (but not necessarily use it on the bike, but I agree it's a big distraction), and just learn..

I forgot about the CT track and I'm certainly open to it. To my knowledge the other closest tracks are in NY and NJ? So I just assumed I'd end up at NHMS.

My desire to have a timed lap has nothing to do with my ego. I know I'm not fast! It's just something I'm interested in, but of course I'll wait until the time is ready (if ever). I was actually going to ask when everybody decided to use a timer, and I've seen 2 different people post (1 person waited 5 seasons and the other waited 5 trackdays). I bet there are some people who got a timer for their first day... and maybe they were also the ones who needed help picking up their bike!

Money is the prohibiting factor for me so it's doubtful that I'd spend the extra money for a timer anyway.

The excitement is building man! I have visions of that first "good" lap where things start making sense. I've had only a couple instances riding on the street (in 2 full seasons) where I just felt like I was in the flow, smooth gas/brake, turns without line adjustments, and just an overall feeling of being "one with the bike".

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My advice for a first day is to forget the lap timer, forget the onboard cameras, forget all that crap. . (Thanks Adam!)
    VERY GOOD ADVICE HERE!!!!!

OP- you also mentioned learning the "racing line". Going into your first track day you will not be on the "race line" because the "race line" is for riders who are much faster then you will be. You will find the marker indicators on the track which indicate there the "race line" is will be way off for you. Dont worry about it! Dont feel you need to follow them.

My suggestion is go into the beginner group and absorb as much as you can. You will find many of the control riders will be very willing to take you under their wing and provide you guidance on how to ride at the beginner group pace. What you need to focus on is smooth throttle (ractcheting the gas NOT grabbing a fist full) and looking through the turn.

Just because you think you are a good street rider doesnt mean you need be concerned about lap time and how many bikes you can pass on your first session. If you are more concerned about passing bikes and trying to drag a knee I can almost guarantee you will be kissing the pavement before lunch.

Also, NHMS is not the most ideal track for a first timer IMHO. it is a very technical and rather unforgiving track. I would suggest New Jersey (NJMP) for a first timer. But that is just my opinion. It is far harder to crash by rider error at NJ then it is in NH.

Last edited by Lxpony; 01-16-14 at 09:04 AM.

I ended up getting one after 3 seasons or so... Maybe 4?
    My special lady friend gave it as a gift and even now, most days I don't turn it on.

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

track days are invaluable for learning just how little you are using the bike to its potential on the street, and how to use more of its ability by developing your skills.

the down side of this is that if you (like me, when i had a bike) ride for the adrenaline of it.. the 'pay off' (adrenaline) will be significantly decreased on the street unless you push harder than you used to, which is arguably a very stupid thing to do on the street.

basically, it may rob you of some of the fun of riding on the street, but if you have self control and are not an adrenaline junkie, the skills learned could well save your life someday

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by stanga5o View Post
    I have visions of that first "good" lap where things start making sense. I've had only a couple instances riding on the street (in 2 full seasons) where I just felt like I was in the flow, smooth gas/brake, turns without line adjustments, and just an overall feeling of being "one with the bike".
    That is a wonderful feeling....(says the red group rider who has no lap timer, no gps, and no gopro to measure progress, but just goes fr the fun of it).

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    OP- you also mentioned learning the "racing line". Going into your first track day you will not be on the "race line" because the "race line" is for riders who are much faster then you will be. You will find the marker indicators on the track which indicate there the "race line" is will be way off for you. Dont worry about it! Dont feel you need to follow them.
    I'll disagree with this part.

Regardless of everything else you do out there try to stay on the line. Go slower if you need to. Stay on the line. Brake early if you need to. Stay on the line.

Staying on the line makes you predictable. It allows other riders around you to get an understanding of what you are going to do in a given situation.

Being unpredictable is much (much) worse than being slow.

Will you make mistakes and miss, yes, you will. Don't worry about that, it's done, now get back on the line and try to stay there.

I guess I mostly disagree with the "Don't feel you need to follow (it)" part. Feel you need to follow it. Messing up is OK, but you should try to follow it.

Last edited by jasnmar; 01-16-14 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I'll disagree with this part.

Regardless of everything else you do out there try to stay on the line. Go slower if you need to. Stay on the line. Brake early if you need to. Stay on the line.

Staying on the line makes you predictable. It allows other riders around you to get an understanding of what you are going to do in a given situation.

Being unpredictable is much (much) worse than being slow.
    It also teaches you the line that you should be following as you get faster. Why re-learn a whole new line as you get faster? Why make the track harder than it is? You will feel really slow following the proper line at the start, because it IS meant for a faster pace.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

...that you're not as fast as you think you are...

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Gharam makes the point that if everyone is on the same line than it is a lot harder to collide with another rider with any real velocity. That, by itself, was enough to convince me to stick to the line. That was all they had to say to convince me.

Lifer

Do you have a household budget? Throw it out now. The progression is well established.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    It also teaches you the line that you should be following as you get faster. Why re-learn a whole new line as you get faster? Why make the track harder than it is? You will feel really slow following the proper line at the start, because it IS meant for a faster pace.
    I was always under the understanding that the race line will not make sense to someone who is significantly off the pace of what a racer would be running. The little white "x" going into turn 6 in Loudon comes to mind. The "x" is rather far to the right for someone at red group pace.

Maybe Tony or a CR/INSTRUCTOR can chime in here.

As far as the "line" goes, at beginner trackday speeds it is about 6 feet wide in most places.

In other words, when exiting a corner you don't need to drift all the way to the very edge of the pavement - leave that for the faster guys.

You definitely want to follow the general shape of the line at all times though.

As for TTD's and where we put our X's... they are generally in the middle of this 6 foot "window". As beginners, we'd like you to leave room for others so that's how we decide where to put them in some places.

Also, another thing we teach is that when exiting a corner, the laws of physics should force you to the outside edge of the pavement... you should not be intentionally steering there. If you can hold a tighter line when exiting, then that means you could have gone faster.

Last edited by TTD; 01-16-14 at 11:16 AM.
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Lifer

Expect to see this..

What will a trackday tell me?-anim-gif

For what it is worth, Jason and I thought we were hauling ass when this happened.

Last edited by nhbubba; 01-16-14 at 12:38 PM.

Expect to see this..
    I still remember my first time on track!

I was passing 90% of the people in my group pretty easily... then I was going around Turn 9 in Loudon faster than anyone can possibly go... and suddenly an instructor appears on my right... looking back at me and giving me the Thumbs up!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Measure your success by how much fun you have. Try to pick up reference points. Try to put together 1 or 2 consistent laps. Worry about line and body position. Forget everything else. Shut your mouth and open your ears.
    This. For me, trackdays aren't about trying to be faster, it's learning to be a better rider. When I do track days, I'm not going WOT on the straights, as I'm trying to focus on my cornering, body positioning, and consistency - who care's if I don't get to that next corner a second faster.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    ...that you're not as fast as you think you are...
    I'm surprised it took 42 posts for somebody to say that ha!

I already think I'm slow so I'm going to be really disappointed after a trackday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast