Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Re: Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    Why doesn't just "anyone" rent a race track for the day...? It's expensive and I don't mean just renting the track?
    In dealing with tracks you need your own liability insurance for closed course activity - without it ,you and everyone "involved" in running the event are exposed. Tracks are now asking to site coverage letters (to protect the track owner(s) - then you need to check if the liability insurance covers timed events.... having it just silent on this point is not the right answer. Everything is fine until there is trouble - Your insurance company will abandon you if closed course activity is not covered etc....

Question-guess why tracks like NHMS call their open practice sessions, set-up or suspension days and don't offer timing?
    Answer-Their own insurance would increase for that day.
    I'm still jonesing to try and setup a proper mini event at NHMS... if you know the numbers, mind PMing them to me so I can see just how far my jaw can drop? I'm hoping I can talk them into letting me use either one of the parking lots to lay something out, or the frontierlands... any place I can get a good road course and have plenty of parking area for attendees and their trailers/ez-ups.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I'm still jonesing to try and setup a proper mini event at NHMS... if you know the numbers, mind PMing them to me so I can see just how far my jaw can drop? I'm hoping I can talk them into letting me use either one of the parking lots to lay something out, or the frontierlands... any place I can get a good road course and have plenty of parking area for attendees and their trailers/ez-ups.
    I'd suggest you start by contacting Betty at bfrench@nhms.com. Betty could get you pointed in the right direction. I have no idea how much the parking lot events cost. They do seem to have lots of them through out the season.

The average I hear from event orginizers, for the road track, is $10,000.00 per day. This includes the track rental, insurance, abulance(S) and corner workers. Of coarse, that all depends on how many abulances and CW's, ins. rates etc.

" In the name of the Spedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by palanon View Post
    I'd suggest you start by contacting Betty at bfrench@nhms.com. Betty could get you pointed in the right direction. I have no idea how much the parking lot events cost. They do seem to have lots of them through out the season.

The average I hear from event orginizers, for the road track, is $10,000.00 per day. This includes the track rental, insurance, abulance(S) and corner workers. Of coarse, that all depends on how many abulances and CW's, ins. rates etc.
    The $10k number matches my ballpark estimates when I was toying with the idea of using the road course for this last year... hoping the parking lot will be cheaper.

PM sent......

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by palanon View Post

First there are many more costs to run a race event...
    Lliability insurance is always a big stumbling block for a "promoter" The promoter has to find it - this is why race events are run typically under sanctioning bodies (more big $;s).

I can't see any track "underwriting this insurance", In fact, contracts with the track demand you have this coverage and they must site the contract.
    This is just one of many issues to worry about.....I don't wish to cover them in an open forum but maybe "Kurlon" might want to mention how he is feeling after my pm?

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

First there are many more costs to run a race event...
    Lliability insurance is always a big stumbling block for a "promoter" The promoter has to find it - this is why race events are run typically under sanctioning bodies (more big $;s).

I can't see any track "underwriting this insurance", In fact, contracts with the track demand you have this coverage and they must site the contract.
    This is just one of many issues to worry about.....I don't wish to cover them in an open forum but maybe "Kurlon" might want to mention how he is feeling after my pm?
    BTW, running under a sanctioning body - you still need liabilty insurance- but now you can get it - trying to run an event without a track record - nobody will touch the insurance.

i think this thread has been shanghaied - enough from me

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 12-29-08 at 12:34 PM.
    Graham

I don't wish to cover them in an open forum but maybe "Kurlon" might want to mention how he is feeling after my pm?
    I was ok till you started using broken glass to drive the point home... : )

I was ok till you started using broken glass to drive the point home... : )
    But far be it for me to deter you.... move on – knowing the issues is half the battle…

Graham

I still haven't done a track day, and have wanted to since I started riding. I guess the whole crashing-your-bike-while-pushing-it-too-hard thing has been in the back of my mind, but it was more of a financial problem for me.

I also just picked up a ZX-10 and was planning on selling my 636...but that 636 would be a blast at a track.

Decisions, decisions...

Financial problem but you just bought a ZX-10?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by bove View Post
    I still haven't done a track day, and have wanted to since I started riding. I guess the whole crashing-your-bike-while-pushing-it-too-hard thing has been in the back of my mind, but it was more of a financial problem for me.

I also just picked up a ZX-10 and was planning on selling my 636...but that 636 would be a blast at a track.

Decisions, decisions...
    I can advise on how to solve your financial issues.
    Take your bike off the street - the +$1000 annual insurance savings will buy a bunch of track days....

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by bove View Post

Decisions, decisions...
    I remember our backroad jaunts at UMass. You didnt seem so concerned with binning it then : Now get your ass to the track or I will stab you. Hows that for motivation?

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Financial problem but you just bought a ZX-10?
    Had some extra cash in December - no track days then

I can advise on how to solve your financial issues.
    Take your bike off the street - the +$1000 annual insurance savings will buy a bunch of track days....
    I only pay about 200 a year for insurance...don't have all the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hammadown View Post
    I remember our backroad jaunts at UMass. You didnt seem so concerned with binning it then : Now get your ass to the track or I will stab you. Hows that for motivation?
    those were so much f'ing fun. i have nothing like that near me now. i took the 10 out for a few quick spins, but nothing really fun.

such a different bike though

Last edited by bove; 01-02-09 at 04:15 PM.

Now people are going to tell you that you should have done the pre-buys of track days.

Some people don't realize that the reason some people are hesitant to do track days is because of the level of snobbery around them on NESR.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    Some people don't realize that the reason some people are hesitant to do track days is because of the level of snobbery around them on NESR.
    Shut up, Im always right and youre wrong.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Schwhaaaat?

Now people are going to tell you that you should have done the pre-buys of track days.

There is snobbery?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I think that if anyone was offended by the snobs here, they wouldn't have stuck around long enough to be turned off of track days.

Speaking as an overly sensitive pussy myself, I can say that nothing that I've read here has turned me off from getting more involved with anything.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

I more than happily took advantage of the prebuy. Provided the postal folks did their part I will be at my first track day on 7/20 just after my birthday.

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

I'm starting my trackday experiences this year with my 01 Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by MVOUS View Post
    all cop.... all cars... free turn
    yeah, but at your pace you don't have to worry about any of those things.

-------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

I know I should do a track day on my street bike, but I still have hang ups about it. I kinda feel like hey, I already have my race bike, why put my street ride on the line? I would be the grumpiest person alive if I dropped my sv on a track day and lacked the funds to fix it and had to go an entire riding season bikeless......for me its not worth the risk.

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Once you have a racebike, you might as well sell the streetbike, get a cheap dirtbike, and bank the rest for tires and food. It's inevitable, just do it.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Once you have a racebike, you might as well sell the streetbike, get a cheap dirtbike, and bank the rest for tires and food. It's inevitable, just do it.
    Wanna buy a worked GSX-R1000? For an obnoxious amount of money?

I have 2 racebikes. I take a different kind of enjoyment out of bringing my street bike to the track. Different mindset, different type of enjoyment. I had my new street bike for a week when I brought it to my first track day. Thing was barely out of break in.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.