Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Re: Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Somebody in the thread said that cars are fairly safe at the track but i would rather ride a bike (and i've crashed with more that 140 km/h on the track).

http://darkness78.multiply.com/photo...Serres_Circuit

here is the video on the time after the crash. it is a pity though it was a nice new toy.

http://darkness78.multiply.com/video...res_Race_Track

Stay safe, and best regards to you all fellow riders.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Wanna buy a worked GSX-R1000? For an obnoxious amount of money?
    LOL! NO!!!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    Some people don't realize that the reason some people are hesitant to do track days is because of the level of snobbery around them on NESR.
    Snobbery? Everyone I've met from here that are into the track are really supportive about getting new people there. Some people have even offered to let me use their gear or their bike at the track the first time I met them. Maybe they were being snobs to you to keep you away from the track

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    I know I should do a track day on my street bike, but I still have hang ups about it. I kinda feel like hey, I already have my race bike, why put my street ride on the line? I would be the grumpiest person alive if I dropped my sv on a track day and lacked the funds to fix it and had to go an entire riding season bikeless......for me its not worth the risk.
    Get another street bike so if you bin one you still have another for the street

Seriously though, with the track experience you already have shouldn't you be the last person to be worried about trashing your street bike at a track day?

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

Quote Originally Posted by BCT748 View Post

Get another street bike so if you bin one you still have another for the street

Seriously though, with the track experience you already have shouldn't you be the last person to be worried about trashing your street bike at a track day?
    If I could afford another street bike then I wouldn't have issues, but presently money is pretty fucking short and I don't expect it's gonna get that much better come riding season. My track experience has been nothing but a 1974 cb350- I'm going to have to basically relearn the track on the sv, these two machines are like night and day. And if my competitive edge gets the better of me and I'm thinking "just a lil faster into that turn...." I dunno, guess when I set foot on the track I expect to be pushing limits, and when you're pushing limits, accidents happen. And when my street ride becomes that accident I'll become

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

If I could afford another street bike then I wouldn't have issues, but presently money is pretty fucking short and I don't expect it's gonna get that much better come riding season. My track experience has been nothing but a 1974 cb350- I'm going to have to basically relearn the track on the sv, these two machines are like night and day. And if my competitive edge gets the better of me and I'm thinking "just a lil faster into that turn...." I dunno, guess when I set foot on the track I expect to be pushing limits, and when you're pushing limits, accidents happen. And when my street ride becomes that accident I'll become
    Typically any different bike is night and day on the track. Ive ridden a bunch of different types and it always takes me a few laps to figure out the bike and maybe a session or two to where I can find its breaking points. The weirdest was going from my R6 to a motard. I would break at my normal markers at first and realize I could get back on the gas a little bit before I needed to turn in. So if you just feel it out for a bit before really getting on it then youre good.

I think this thread was aimed more at first time track goers. You already know what its like up there. For someone that has never been up there even to watch it can be a bit intimidating at first especially if you dont know anyone. I think I knew two people before I went up there for the first time and one of them was Kates. If you have had a lesson in riding from him then you know youre probably better off not knowing him your first time up there. So now youre up there with a lot of people that have been there before that you dont know with your street bike. Its a lot of nerves.

The best arguement I can give for riding your street bike if thats all you have is you know that bike. You know what it does and how it rides so its one less thing you will have to process. you wont have to figure out the track and a different bike all at once.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    LOL! NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Typically any different bike is night and day on the track. Ive ridden a bunch of different types and it always takes me a few laps to figure out the bike and maybe a session or two to where I can find its breaking points. The weirdest was going from my R6 to a motard. I would break at my normal markers at first and realize I could get back on the gas a little bit before I needed to turn in. So if you just feel it out for a bit before really getting on it then youre good.

I think this thread was aimed more at first time track goers. You already know what its like up there. For someone that has never been up there even to watch it can be a bit intimidating at first especially if you dont know anyone. I think I knew two people before I went up there for the first time and one of them was Kates. If you have had a lesson in riding from him then you know youre probably better off not knowing him your first time up there. So now youre up there with a lot of people that have been there before that you dont know with your street bike. Its a lot of nerves.

The best arguement I can give for riding your street bike if thats all you have is you know that bike. You know what it does and how it rides so its one less thing you will have to process. you wont have to figure out the track and a different bike all at once.
    I thought you wrote that in invisible ink for a second.

I think riding your streetbike at the track if that's your only bike is a good thing but if you have a racebike why bother?...the skills learned involve you...an adept rider can jump on any bike and get in tune with it fairly quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jc r6 View Post
    I thought you wrote that in invisible ink for a second.

I think riding your streetbike at the track if that's your only bike is a good thing but if you have a racebike why bother?...the skills learned involve you...an adept rider can jump on any bike and get in tune with it fairly quickly
    I'm with Pittenger5...
    riding a full on "race bike" at a track day can be hard hard work - set up for racing they only work well at 10/10th's, back off a bit and they act like pigs..... While a street machine set up well is more forgiving and less wicked tiring for all day stuff...... a dedicated trackbike is/ another thing and can-be differnt to a full on race bike.

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 01-04-09 at 07:20 PM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Would your insurance cover you if you trashed it at a track day? If not I'm sure there are a more that a few people that would swear that they saw you dump in on the street when a car nearly T-boned you

I'm going to start going to the track this year just to see if it can curb me from riding like an asshole on the street. It'll probably just make it worse but it's worth a shot.

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

Would your insurance cover you if you trashed it at a track day? If not I'm sure there are a more that a few people that would swear that they saw you dump in on the street when a car nearly T-boned you

I'm going to start going to the track this year just to see if it can curb me from riding like an asshole on the street. It'll probably just make it worse but it's worth a shot.
    First, insurance companies are smart.....(about dragging your bike out on R106 etc:-).
    On collecting bike insurance from a track day incident you have to check your individual policy...they are getting tougher and include fine print in the exclusions such as "no closed course activity." Saying it is a school, training etc..... in the past has sometimes worked. But the exclusion clause above can kill that approach...

BTW guaranteed a bunch of track days will have you chillin on the street...ask anyone...

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    BTW guaranteed a bunch of track days will have you chillin on the street...ask anyone...
    Yea I ride like a pansy on the street nowadays. Any time I pick up the pace and become more aggressive all I can think of is how the risk just isn't worth the reward. On the street I just enjoy cruising around chillin with friends and the gf and stuff. Instead of bringing the same mentality as the track to the street, its two very different activities/goals/approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Yea I ride like a pansy on the street nowadays. Any time I pick up the pace and become more aggressive all I can think of is how the risk just isn't worth the reward. On the street I just enjoy cruising around chillin with friends and the gf and stuff. Instead of bringing the same mentality as the track to the street, its two very different activities/goals/approaches.
    x1000

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Once you have a racebike, you might as well sell the streetbike, get a cheap dirtbike, and bank the rest for tires and food. It's inevitable, just do it.
    Paul, its like you are writing my biography.

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Quote Originally Posted by hammadown View Post
    Paul, its like you are writing my biography.
    Do YOU want buy buy a worked 1000 for an obnoxious amount of money?

No, he doesn't! You're gonna hafta cruise sites wwhere people don't actually ride to sell that one.

Paul_E_D

And as for the if you have a racebike why would you bring your street bike to a track day.
    Its a totally different mindset. I'm the type of person that theres no way I could EVER ride my racebike during a track day. Im just totally in a different mindset when I throw my leg over that than when I'm on my street bike. A track day is a good relaxed time. You don't hafta worry about laptimes, you can go out, and only ride at 75% and still feel like you're flogging your street bike, but dont feel the pressure of trying to get every last bit of performance out of it. I just enjoy riding the track, and like I said, if I was at a track day on my race bike, I'm sure I would be asked to leave very quickly. I can take it easy and just relax and flog on the street bike a bit and have fun with friends.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Would your insurance cover you if you trashed it at a track day?
    Mine did.
    +10000000000

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Mine did.

+10000000000
    who do you have for insurance?

State Farm. Unfortunately for most, they don't take new customers in MA anymore, only previous customers or people who have moved into the state and had them elsewhere.

My family has been using them for everything for over 50 years and they are by far the best to deal with. Hassle-free, curteous, the works. And the prices aren't bad at all. I wouldn't save $100 bucks a year to go to one of the cheap companies and have them dick me around.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Puckered would best describe my last street ride. It was an easy choice to come off the street all together after that.

Edit: Racing was more inline with my riding goals. I just noticed that I was more concerned about riding on the street after spending a couple of years on the track, and I wasn't really having fun anymore.

Last edited by eboos; 01-05-09 at 02:27 PM.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

I have thousands of hours on a race track and I feel that I am safer on the track than I am on most roads. If something should happen to me there will be experienced ambulance help next to me in seconds. If I crash on a back road they may not find me till I smell bad in the spring. I tell people that use your own bike because that is what you ride every day and you want to find its limits in a controlled arena not on the road. YOu will be able to handle your bike much better after a track school than many years of just riding on the road. I had been riding sense I was 8 years old with my dad who sold bikes and I feel that I really learned to ride at my first school. I also teach with Eric Wood at the Penguin school and he was my first instructor. I still feel if you goal is to race he has the best school for that. We like to think at our school we make road riders faster and safer. Bring your own bike and you will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    motorcycles can't even hold themselves up by themselves without the help of a stand. they're going to go down one way or another.
    Not to split hairs here, but you need to take a physics class Joel...

A motorcycle in motion is an inherently stable object. YOU have to do something to fuck up it's stability and cause it to crash.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Splitting hairs ceo.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    and thank you for helping prove my point. slut.
    That's what I was getting at

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

I just called my agent. They said it's covered and I may even get a credit on my insurance for take the "safety course". I think he meant the MSF course, but I specifically asked about the closed course thing and he said it was absolutely covered.

I may email the Insurance company specifically to confirm that.

Does Tony's issue certificates of completion?