Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Re: Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    If I could afford another street bike then I wouldn't have issues, but presently money is pretty fucking short and I don't expect it's gonna get that much better come riding season. My track experience has been nothing but a 1974 cb350- I'm going to have to basically relearn the track on the sv, these two machines are like night and day. And if my competitive edge gets the better of me and I'm thinking "just a lil faster into that turn...." I dunno, guess when I set foot on the track I expect to be pushing limits, and when you're pushing limits, accidents happen. And when my street ride becomes that accident I'll become
    Wimp!

You gonna have to sign-up for a JRO SUZUKI ONLY TRACKDAY. Bikes you can ride include RMZ450 and SV650

Personally I'm all for riding your streetbike at the trackday. Just have the right mindset going in. Trackdays are so much more chill than racing. Racing is like MUST PASS DUDE NOW!!! Trackday is like "Hrm maybe I'll pass dude now, maybe I'll pit in, maybe I'll just follow, doo dee doo I'm having fun"

Riding your streetbike at trackday is GOOD because next time you are cruising down the roadway and have to dodge a car/kid/dog you know what your bike is capable of. That's good thing..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by a13x; 01-05-09 at 04:36 PM.
    Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Bikes you can ride include RMZ450 and SV650
    w00h00! Im in!

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    w00h00! Im in!
    You can ride my SV... I'M riding his RMZ...

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    trackdays are not racing. trackdays are the closest you can get to experiencing complete control of both your motorcycle and environent. with the environment controlled, all that's left is you, the rider. are you afraid to bring your street bike to a trackday because you don't have enough self control to stay within your limits? what are you doing on a motorcycle in the first place if you can't show restraint? why do you feel the need to push the limits? If you don't ride like an idiot on the street, why ride like one on the track and risk crashing? you don't have to be constantly pushing your limits to learn. trackdays aren't for everyone, but people who brush them off with the "I don't want to crash my bike" excuse are fools in my opinion. If you're worried about crashing, don't ride on the street either. think about it some more and give me a better answer. It all comes down to state of mind. If you go to the track saying "this is my only bike, I'm going to be careful", and you're able to control yourself, you'll be fine. you're runing a much higher risk every time you take your bike out on the street, even if just for a few minutes. I've crashed both my bikes at loudon, but my state of mind is very different. the way I see it, bikes are made for the track and meant to be ridden hard. I want to learn quickly, and along with that comes increased risk. I am always in control of that risk however, I keep it at my own accepted level. motorcycles can't even hold themselves up by themselves without the help of a stand. they're going to go down one way or another. they're just globs of metal and plastic, who really gives a crap?

Captain Obvious to the rescue!

Nothing wrong with people being hesitant to ride their Pride and Joy on the track. I know I was wary of it my first time on the racetrack (on a borrowed racebike that was my friend's absolute darling).

Must be nice to be equipped with so much mental fortitude, financial security, and over-abundant amounts of riding skill to never-ever worry about tossing it (however unlikely). Dude you keep your new 125 in the living room and have make-out sessions with it. Imagine if you tossed it in Turn 8 during April weekend at 100mph and then watching it flip 10x's in the air and blow into little pieces as it smashes into the tree by Turn 9? Breaking it in half? I'm pretty sure you'd be bumming and wouldn't be like 'oh it's just metal ho hum' If that's the case you'll be running 19's in no time! Self-preservation for your equipment and body is a big reason some people have trouble going faster and faster. You probably already knew that thou

Last edited by a13x; 01-05-09 at 04:55 PM.
    Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    You can ride my SV... I'M riding his RMZ...
    I don't think anyone wants to ride your taint-mobile

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

That is a good question and one I struggled with a bit before getting a dedicated track bike. My rational was a combo of the cost of crashing my street bike and the fact that I try to ride at 80% compared to the 50% max on the street. In that zone I am learning but I am not scared except on rare occasions. That said I am learning and in a space where I have some uncertainty and am way closer to my personal limits than I would ever go on the street on purpose. If I walked up to my street bike and gave it a big shove and toppled it sideways the cost might be more than my whole track bike to make it all perfect and pretty again (not sure but it could be).

I also like things on the track that I would never want on a streetbike such as rear set pegs and keeping it all prepped for the track and just trailering it around. I have used my street bike at track days and will do so again for some of the reasons you mention by 9 out of 10 will be on my purpose tweaked ride even though it is slower than my street bike (I like that on the track too!)

Dave

Alls I will say is this--> For my first and second track days I packed a street-registered Honda 929 into my trailer and drove 1200 miles to VIR. I was willing to risk anything in order to realize a dream. At that time that dream was to ride VIR.

Those of you who simply "can't" justify taking your street machine to the track but still want to be out there are completely missing out. Fact is, you don't "need" a track dedicated machine at all....no two ways about it. How deep does your dedication really go as far as becoming a proficient street or track rider?

In my situation (and to answer the question), the risk of driving 1200 miles and cracking up my bike was very real. However, I was not about to let the risk outweigh the bennies and I'm more than glad I kept that mindset.

trackdays and racing shouldn't even be compared. they aren't even in the same league. i wouldn't mind bringing my one and only street bike to a trackday...even if it wasen't a race rep. i would not use my streetbike as a racebike and expect to ever use it as a street bike again.

though it certainly can be done my father did it with his buell.

you shouldn't really be worried about trashing your bike at a track day unless you are an ass...and then you'd probably trash it on the street sooner or later anyway.

-------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Captain Obvious to the rescue!

HEY!!!

I thought I was Captain Obvious!?!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Alls I will say is this--> For my first and second track days I packed a street-registered Honda 929 into my trailer and drove 1200 miles to VIR. I was willing to risk anything in order to realize a dream. At that time that dream was to ride VIR.

Those of you who simply "can't" justify taking your street machine to the track but still want to be out there are completely missing out. Fact is, you don't "need" a track dedicated machine at all....no two ways about it. How deep does your dedication really go as far as becoming a proficient street or track rider?

In my situation (and to answer the question), the risk of driving 1200 miles and cracking up my bike was very real. However, I was not about to let the risk outweigh the bennies and I'm more than glad I kept that mindset.
    I forgot to mention that I do miss the ease of riding my BMW to track days and back. From Boston I can easily ride up and do a track day and ride home the same day. I can bring an extra suit, helmet, boots, tools, tape, and whatever else I want and it all fits in the waterproof locking bags. Sooooo easy compared to towing the SV with my MINI.

VIR is FAR! I seriously never want to drive my MINI all the way there with a motorcycle behind it so that might be a BMW track. Stay nuts Bergs!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    ...though it certainly can be done my father did it with his buell.
    Just realized something. PM sent.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    trackdays and racing shouldn't even be compared. they aren't even in the same league.
    I think this is where a lot of people that don't know anything about track events get confused or nervous, thinking that trackdays are the same as a race practice or something. I can understand the insurance worries and would definitely check, but aside from that I would encourage anybody that really enjoys riding their motorcycle to at least TRY a trackday. If you never do one again thats fine but even that one day will make you a MUCH better rider. If you're like myself and 90% of the other people that go to the track, we'll gladly welcome you to your new addiction.

I have a dedicated track bike, but if I had not bought it I would still be at the track with my street bike. I did a few days with the 675 and then decided to get a toy.

Why did I by the dedicated track bike?

Mostly because I wanted a project for the winter. Got myself a retired first gen r6 race bike, tore it down some and replaced a few parts, cleaned it up, and repaired and painted all the body work with my father (last time out with the previous owner binned it).

With all that said, I agree...I have no problems bringing the 675 back to the track and people should not worry about the street bike and the track. Like others have said, knowing it's your pride and joy should help keep you focused and conservative.

It's getting to the point now with a baby in the house that I may just lose the street bike and pick up a dirty bike to go along with the track bike. Too many stupid people out there..

Last edited by Hoss; 01-06-09 at 09:25 AM.
    2006 Triumph 675
    2002 Yamaha R6 Track Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Do YOU want buy buy a worked 1000 for an obnoxious amount of money?
    Sure, Ill take the bike in lieu of the cash for our little trade

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

My track bike is my streetbike and vice versa.

I do miss having a track-only bike, though. it was nice feeling free to push a bit harder without the anxiety of trashing the bike.

But, realistically, I don't need a track bike. My ZX6 allows me to push plenty while remaining well within the "no-crash" zone.

Quote Originally Posted by hammadown View Post
    Sure, Ill take the bike in lieu of the cash for our little trade
    You get one lever. Clutch or brake... You're choice. :

Quote Originally Posted by davemon View Post
    VIR is FAR! I seriously never want to drive my MINI all the way there with a motorcycle behind it so that might be a BMW track. Stay nuts Bergs!

Dave
    It's not about being nuts. It's about no-bullshit-gettin'-it-done.

I laugh a little every time I hear people saying how they'd love to ride at a trackday but follow it up with 10 excuses why they won't make the commitment to do so...

It's not about being nuts. It's about no-bullshit-gettin'-it-done.

I laugh a little every time I hear people saying how they'd love to ride at a trackday but follow it up with 10 excuses why they won't make the commitment to do so...
    Maybe youre one of their excuses after the last trackday we were both at. You know what Im talking about

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    My track bike is my streetbike and vice versa.

I do miss having a track-only bike, though. it was nice feeling free to push a bit harder without the anxiety of trashing the bike.

But, realistically, I don't need a track bike. My ZX6 allows me to push plenty while remaining well within the "no-crash" zone.
    Ken, is that like, "Riding in the Zone?"

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    lol, I've been toying with the idea of trailering my bike(s) to laguna for a long time... just to say I've ridden it
    Fly out and rent one.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Fly out and rent one.
    california superbike school.

thats the way we did. well worth it.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Maybe youre one of their excuses after the last trackday we were both at. You know what Im talking about

I thought we were having fun, no?

Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. You mean the mistake I was making about passing on a certain side in one of the passing zones (to which I corrected once it was brought to my attention)?
    Other than that, it was that one and only dude who seemed more concerned about what I was doing everytime I passed him (followed by a complaint)rather than worrying about himself.

I Dance With Will

im with cerberus and i dont care what anybody says. tracks are for special ed. it's like having all this special skills and can't use it... unless you can recruit all the c*suckers to ride like squid with you. it's really no fun.

i didn't learn how to ride on track because well you know the reason... went down 3 times but i bet you do too. part of learning i guess...

"fuckit!"

I thought we were having fun, no?

Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. You mean the mistake I was making about passing on a certain side in one of the passing zones (to which I corrected once it was brought to my attention)?
    Other than that, it was that one and only dude who seemed more concerned about what I was doing everytime I passed him (followed by a complaint)rather than worrying about himself.
    I was having a great time One of the better times I had out there was with you. But you do remember judging by your post.

James

I Dance With Will

oh shit im in the wrong forum.

"fuckit!"