Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Re: Using Your Own Bike at a TD

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    im with cerberus and i dont care what anybody says. tracks are for special ed. it's like having all this special skills and can't use it... unless you can recruit all the c*suckers to ride like squid with you. it's really no fun.

i didn't learn how to ride on track because well you know the reason... went down 3 times but i bet you do too. part of learning i guess...
    don't say you're with me and then start spouting shit..

look, as i said, i've been to loudon a few times, i loved it.
    if i could have afforded it, i would have done every track day available from then on.
    but i honestly believe that the skills you learn on the track are really only applicable to street riding if you are riding too aggressively on the street to begin with(which admittedly, most of us are).. and btw, you won't be riding so aggressively on the street anymore.. since almost everyone slows down significantly on the street after going to the track.. and some even quit street riding entirely..

and lets not forget the cost of track riding versus street..

edit: how many more times can i say street?

street street street.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Cerberus; 01-07-09 at 01:27 PM.
    Get out while you can

Find your own path

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

if i could have afforded it, i would have done every track day available from then on.
    but i honestly believe that the skills you learn on the track are really only applicable to street riding if you are riding too aggressively on the street to begin with(which admittedly, most of us are).. and btw, you won't be riding so aggressively on the street anymore.. since almost everyone slows down significantly on the street after going to the track.. and some even quit street riding entirely..

street street street.

wtf man. spouting shit? what do you think i meant. fuck you im not with you anymore cock sucker.

"fuckit!"

wtf man. spouting shit? what do you think i meant. fuck you im not with you anymore cock sucker.
    mission accomplished.

and who the hell knows what you ever mean?

Get out while you can

Find your own path

I Dance With Will

only you dont know.

"fuckit!"

street street street.
    +10000000

I've only done 1.5 track days, but to me, they are 2 completely different experiences. People ride for different reasons. Some want to go as fast as they can, some want to relax and experience their environment in a different way, I fall somewhere in the middle. I loved the challenge of the track and how much I was able to learn and accomplish in a short time. At the track, there's always more to learn, always more to improve. I think it will continue to be a place where I do that, but the street is where I'm most comfortable and happiest. I can ride within a comfortable margin for my skill level, fast or slow and just enjoy being outside. I would never stop riding on the street, nor do I think I will ever enjoy the bowl more than I enjoy a rip up 100 in VT. There's something about a combination of the sights, sounds and smells of nature combined with riding that can't be replicated or replaced at the track.

Street riding is very zen-like for me, though as I write this it occurs to me that perhaps most of you track junkies have gotten comfortable enough at the track to feel that way.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I was having a great time One of the better times I had out there was with you. But you do remember judging by your post.

I proclaim my innocence!

Yeah, that 2nd day was out of this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus
    i honestly believe that the skills you learn on the track are really only applicable to street riding if you are riding too aggressively on the street to begin with(which admittedly, most of us are).. and btw, you won't be riding so aggressively on the street anymore..
    I'd say yes and no.
    The skills one can learn at the track can and will definitely transfer to street operation but to say "only" is something I disagree with. While a rider may be trying to work on a certain aspect of their skills, other less noticable things take place as well....maybe the rider is performing smoother or getting an earlier drive. Other skills are being honed even though that rider may be concentrating on something totally different.
    Biggest change I noticed after riding at a track was my new found comfort in realizing what I have available for performance should an emergency situation arise....and by "performance" I mean the entire package...brakes, lean angle, accelaration, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Biggest change I noticed after riding at a track was my new found comfort in realizing what I have available for performance should an emergency situation arise....and by "performance" I mean the entire package...brakes, lean angle, accelaration, etc.
    i definitely agree with that.. but the emergency situations where those realizations came into play were when i was admittedly playing way too hard on public roads.
    maybe that is just me, i don't know.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    Street riding is very zen-like for me, though as I write this it occurs to me that perhaps most of you track junkies have gotten comfortable enough at the track to feel that way.
    Funny you should mention that. It certainly didn't happen over night, but I realized that on my last track day this past year, I was totally relaxed and comfortable. I really had a lot of fun (too bad my bike wanted to end the season earlier then I did). Only a year and a half ago, while on my way to do the Penguin school, I threw up just before getting to the track because I was so nervous from crashing the year prior. It seems like just putting my suit on now calms me.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    Funny you should mention that. It certainly didn't happen over night, but I realized that on my last track day this past year, I was totally relaxed and comfortable. I really had a lot of fun (too bad my bike wanted to end the season earlier then I did). Only a year and a half ago, while on my way to do the Penguin school, I threw up just before getting to the track because I was so nervous from crashing the year prior. It seems like just putting my suit on now calms me.
    maybe its cutting off blood flow to the brain?
    (totally kidding)

Get out while you can

Find your own path

People ride for different reasons. Some want to go as fast as they can, some want to relax and experience their environment in a different way, I fall somewhere in the middle. I loved the challenge of the track and how much I was able to learn and accomplish in a short time. At the track, there's always more to learn, always more to improve. I think it will continue to be a place where I do that, but the street is where I'm most comfortable and happiest. I can ride within a comfortable margin for my skill level, fast or slow and just enjoy being outside. There's something about a combination of the sights, sounds and smells of nature combined with riding that can't be replicated or replaced at the track.

+1000000000000000

Street riding is Zen to me too. Track riding is still exciting for me. Not really calming... Not as Zen like.

Or we can look at it in terms Jackie might understand.

Trackdays are like great sex. I get done a session and I feel good and I am glad I did it. I am tired and happy and I can't wait for the next session.

Every race is like first time sex with that hottie you have wanted for a long time. It is exciting and a little scary. You want to do a good job so you will get the chance to do it again. If you fuck up you are not happy and you feel dejected. You kick yourself and try to figure out what you did wrong. If you are successful you are all excited but still spent. You tell all your friends about it and you are very glad you did it. You make plans for the next time and you relive it in your dreams until you can do it again. :

Street riding is like sex in a long term relationship. Very Satisfying and awesome yet calming. I can wait a few days, sometimes weeks (even months if I have to) between sessions.

Last edited by Doc; 01-07-09 at 04:23 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Mmm, I need to try this "sex" that Doc is refering to. If its half as good as track riding, Ill be happy.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

The most dangerous thing on the track is your own ego
    ....or a rider not paying attention and rear ending you while still in the pits.

Quote Originally Posted by redwinger View Post
    ....or a rider not paying attention and rear ending you while still in the pits.
    Who the hell did that?

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

or a sasquatch loose from the woods and on a rampage

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Street riding is like sex in a long term relationship. Very Satisfying and awesome yet calming and satisfying. I can wait a few days, sometimes weeks (even months if I have to) between sessions.
    well for me it translates like this. it's like going to a nudity bar. you can't touch but can only watch. so you have to be sneaky. same fuckin point as cerberus was trying to make... said he can't understand me. where the fuck is his philosophy skill that he claim? i think he really is a cocksucker.

"fuckit!"

well for me it translates like this. it's like going to a nudity bar. you can't touch but can only watch. so you have to be sneaky. same fuckin point as cerberus was trying to make... said he can't understand me. where the fuck is his philosophy skill that he claim? i think he really is a cocksucker.
    i think you need to learn how to more clearly express yourself and not sling insults at people.
    Luckily for both of us, i have to know you and like you before i will care what you think.

And btw, Philosophy has nothing to do with linguistics skills.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by seth505 View Post
    or a sasquatch loose from the woods and on a rampage
    oh fo sho.
    That's the real reason Loudon is seasonal. Goddamn yetti's ruin everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Street riding is like sex in a long term relationship. Very Satisfying and awesome yet calming and satisfying. I can wait a few days, sometimes weeks (even months if I have to) between sessions.
    I was going to say street riding was like oral sex... you can just sit back and enjoy the ride

Original

maybe its cutting off blood flow to the brain?
    (totally kidding)
    You may be on to something there. I did put on about 15-20lbs since buying this suit.

I Dance With Will

i think you need to learn how to more clearly express yourself and not sling insults at people.
    Luckily for both of us, i have to know you and like you before i will care what you think.

And btw, Philosophy has nothing to do with linguistics skills.

shutup man. dont tell me what i need to learn. you started it. why dont YOU ask first instead of accusing.

here's explaination inline

- im with cerberus and i dont care what anybody says. tracks are for special ed. // joking on special ed. who the hell wouldn't want to ride on the track if they could?

- it's like having all this special skills and can't use it... // as you said with all the skills but can't use it on the street because of all the limitations. it really is no fun.

- unless you can recruit all the c*suckers to ride like squid with you. // joking

- i didn't learn how to ride on track because well you know the reason... // yes no $$$

ok who didn't understand?

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    You may be on to something there. I did put on about 15-20lbs since buying this suit.
    Its like you're being swaddled!

Original

Its like you're being swaddled!

That looks like my kid!!

shaddup... I don't get it either.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

No... THIS looks like your kid.

Original

shutup man. dont tell me what i need to learn. you started it. why dont YOU ask first instead of accusing.

so, you call me a cocksucker repeatedly (which in and of itself makes me want to bury my size 12 boot so far up your ass you'd need it surgically extracted), then tell me to shut up, and then I ask you to explain yourself?

where the fuck is that ignore button..

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    kham trackdays are about advanced rider training period. nothing has to be special about it, i feel everyone on two wheels should do it no matter the bike. given some of the rides I've been on (and lead) with the same group of people you ride with, we could all use every bit of training we can get. every single thing I've learned at a trackday I can directly apply to the street, and I don't go fast enough to drag my knee on the street.