Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Some vids from the Penguin track experience July 20, 2012

Some vids from the Penguin track experience July 20, 2012

http://youtu.be/vA_F-PHy228

http://youtu.be/V6ojAmICGOc

http://youtu.be/-T3VXoyXzC4

I'm posting these for a few reasons. I met some people at the track day that wanted to see them. Also, I'm looking for any tips, tricks, pointers, criticism, judgment and hate. This is my second complete track day and my only one in which I didn't crash, it's also my first ride on a bike with suspension which may have helped. So, please if you have any sort of idea where I can approve and when I suck feel free to let me know. These videos are pretty raw, please skip around.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by maxim_X; 07-22-12 at 01:25 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Re: Some vids from the Penguin track experience July 20, 2012

I believe this would be you

yup, thats me holding you up in the 3rd video

Last edited by ecd2004; 07-22-12 at 12:34 PM.

You gonna be at BoMo on the 30th? I remember you bidding on an auction.

Quote Originally Posted by ecd2004 View Post
    I believe this would be you

yup, thats me holding you up in the 3rd video
    Your not holding me up. Your giving me an opportunity to make a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    You gonna be at BoMo on the 30th? I remember you bidding on an auction.
    No, but I am signed up for the 27th. I wanted to go but I am taking some time off at the end of the week to go to a wedding so work would be upset it I took Monday off too.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

You look good, like you've spent more than a couple days at the track.

haha nice viewpoint

You looked good out there. A couple passes were a little close for my taste, but nothing unsafe and you were dealing with a lot of traffic. Definitely way better lines than I'd expect for your second day at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    You look good, like you've spent more than a couple days at the track.
    Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    You looked good out there. A couple passes were a little close for my taste, but nothing unsafe and you were dealing with a lot of traffic. Definitely way better lines than I'd expect for your second day at the track.
    Thank you. I have many hours logged on youtube watching videos on NHMS. It must count for something. The racers videos are very inspiring.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Gotcha. See you then.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post

No, but I am signed up for the 27th. I wanted to go but I am taking some time off at the end of the week to go to a wedding so work would be upset it I took Monday off too.
    I'll be up there on the 27th, can work with you a little if you want.

You have the classic: right amount of butt movement, but not enough shoulder movement. If you make a concious effort to keep your shoulders both square, and inline with your ass you'll be spot on. Otherwise, you're well on your way to getting around efficiently.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I'll be up there on the 27th, can work with you a little if you want.
    I would love to have some 1 on 1 aid. The more I can take in from the experts the less i have to find out on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You have the classic: right amount of butt movement, but not enough shoulder movement. If you make a concious effort to keep your shoulders both square, and inline with your ass you'll be spot on. Otherwise, you're well on your way to getting around efficiently.
    I can absolutely see it in the video but when riding I feel like I'm doing it right. It seems worse in left turns than right. Should I tuck my head more as well?

Side note: A penguin instructor was concerned about pushing my pilot powers too hard. Should I be worried? I only really felt the front loose trailbraking into 6.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I would love to have some 1 on 1 aid. The more I can take in from the experts the less i have to find out on my own.

I can absolutely see it in the video but when riding I feel like I'm doing it right. It seems worse in left turns than right. Should I tuck my head more as well?

Side note: A penguin instructor was concerned about pushing my pilot powers too hard. Should I be worried? I only really felt the front loose trailbraking into 6.
    Well I'm far from an expert but I'll help if I can. As far as the Pilot Powers go, I used them when I started doing track days and liked them for a while. The problem I ended up having was the tires would still look fine after a couple track days, but would lose grip. I was fine until I got to a 1:25ish pace I guess. This was in '06/'07, so I'm not sure how tire compounds have changed, but I stay away from using those tires on the track now. If you're going to use that SV as a track only bike I would move on to a better tire. You can buy take-offs for short money that will last a few track days.

To be honest I bought the bike for my wife to learn on and it just so happens my track bike is stuck in the basement not running. So needless to say I don't ever plan to make the SV track only. She may be upset with that move. I'm a long way away from 1:25. I may try to find something more aggressive that will work on the street for the next set.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Two immediate things come to mind: concentrate on dropping your inside shoulder, and moving your head over. This should square you up. Make sure you lean a bit forwards as you're doing this so you aren't over extending the arm going to the outside grip. (you want it bent still, ideally)
    With this should come really monkeying your head inside even more as you pick the bike back up when you accelerate out of a corner, so you aren't overdriving the traction you have when leaned over...particularly coming out of 2, through 4, 10, and 12. The corners you really want to pin it out of.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Help you? Shit, you're faster than me already! Disclaimer- I've only done 4 trackdays, but I do ride a similar SV (1st gen actually). The thing that jumps out at me is your shifting, it's inconsistent. Sometimes you get it right, but then the next lap you miss a couple downshifts and just Luuugg it up over 4-5 and coming out of 12 all down the front straight. I had trouble with it too, some sage SV fellas clued me in. Presuming you're topping out 5th at the end of the front straight, down 1 for T1 (4th) down 1 for T3 (3rd) up 1 at the crest of T5 (4th) down 1 coming into T11 (3rd) and up 2 on the front straight (4th, 5th). With a few sessions of practice it becomes easier to time it so you're not leaned over or moving your body when shifting, helps with not yanking the bars.

Thanks for putting these up. I caught a glimpse of myself a few times, ha. Unfortunately, I think the red flag was me in the grass at turn 1 (on the thruxton). Nice meeting you.

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Looks like you picked up on a lot that Scotty was teaching you. Overall, a very good place to start. The only things that jumped out at me right away were your tendency to look behind yourself every so often (which is not a huge deal - but I definitely prefer looking forward all the time) and your entrance into turn one will likely want to tighten up a bit (come in slightly more shallow - under the pink square at the transition) as you start driving in deeper and trail braking more.

Nice work - I look forward to seeing you more. If you get to where you are comfortable enough to ride with some Novice racers, I think you're getting ready for an advanced school. We're now opening that up to anyone who feels they are ready and has done at least three track days in a 12 month span. Nice work!

Last edited by Woodcraft; 07-23-12 at 09:44 AM.

My shifting could absolutely use some work. I think I was caught up in the moment and often forgot my shift plan for the track. I should make stickers and put them on my tach. "drop your shoulder" and "shift you ass" should remind me.

It was good to meet you Damien. That triumph is a real beast. Keep it up on the track.

Eric I'd love to hop in the ring with some faster guys. I feel like it would help me improve to see and talk with other faster riders. But, I should work on a few more track days before that. One instructor of yours worked with me for a few sessions. I didn't catch his name but he was riding a beat up black EX. He showed me what fast really was when I tried to follow him through 6 and he later told me he was only at 7/10ths. He was very helpful, and really pumped me up to stay at it.

Last edited by maxim_X; 07-23-12 at 08:52 PM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

http://www.owenstrackdayphotos.com/p677731185/h10a690b4

Body position doesn't look that bad in the picture. I'm itching so bad to get out there again.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

That looks decent.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet