Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Who What When Where

Re: Who What When Where

"Here is a vid from 2011 when I was a Blue group rider on my nearly completely stock SV650."

NICE!
    Very impressive to see that many passes in blue group, safely, on a bike that likely had less power than most of the others, especially if the rider/bike combo is heavier than the others too...Its clear to me I will need to carry much more entry speed for many corners next season when I plan to change my trackday ride from an inline4 (triumph speed four) to an SV I already bought.
    Could you elaborate on "nearly" stock? I have the same bike I think (06sv650s); it is entirely stock now except for 1.0 springs with gold valves in stock forks, and Pirelli Rosso Corsas. I weigh about 220. What did you do to your sv?
    Sorry if this question is too far off the topic here, pm would be ok or a new thread...Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That bike has a slip on and suspension upgrades. 1.0 Springs and Emulators in the front and a Penske twin in the back with a 600 spring. Everything else about the bike is stock. Including the foot pegs, bars, and brakes.

At the time I weighed about 240 without gear.....

At the time I think I was on Diablo Superbike slicks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Never!!!!!

You've seen me right?

On a SV...

I started racing at 42

I'm almost as heavy and started riding on the track at 43, racing at 45.

Adam and I are about the same with lap times, but Adam is a little better of a rider. I say this, because he ran a completely stock motor to my aging somewhat built motor.

Last edited by The Snowman; 12-02-12 at 11:02 AM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Never!!!!!

You've seen me right?

On a SV...

I started racing at 42

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    I'm almost as heavy and started riding on the track at 43, racing at 45.

Adam and I are about the same with lap times, but Adam is a little better of a rider. I say this, because he ran a completely stock motor to my aging somewhat built motor.
    Have I mentioned how much I do not like either of you?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Slicks and full suspension isn't exactly stock. Regardless I love the aggression. Especially late braking into 6. It was impressive and inspiring. It kinda looks like my vids too, only mine are in the middle group.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Until then.
    Here is a vid from 2011 when I was a Blue group rider on my nearly completely stock SV650.
    Fun video. Seems awfully fast. (This is going to be a long winter.)

How deep into T6 are you allowed to pass in red group? The rules say "No passing on any corners" but the track diagram kinda says you maybe can do so under braking, maybe up to tip-in?

I did not experiment taking 6 wide. I always dove from the tip in marker all the way down to the apex and back out the other end... grinning the entire frickin' way! Hard to pass that rush up in exchange for a measly pass.

How about T1?

And with regard to the "All passing must be on the outside" and the stretch after T10. Which side of the track is considered the 'outside' there? The part inside T10 or outside 11?

Behold... passing rules. There are actually a couple posters of this up in various places during the track day. http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...r-speedway.htm

Most of the transitional corners (2-3, 4-6 10-11) are considered straights and you can take what's given. If the passee favors the right take them on the left and vice versa.

Adam does a great job braking late and in the video is where I think he's gained most of his advantage.

Yea, I never tried 6 wide either. Based on the fact that I'm a wimp on the throttle I always had plenty of room after 6 it is an interesting option. I actually had to force myself to get "out" to the X after 6 (because I had trouble carrying corner speed with stuff scraping) , but a higher line and / or more throttle would carry me out there.

Yeah Jason. That wider line will keep some of the non rubber parts off the track. I have tracked my FJR and the wider line with a little throttle helps keep things from scraping.

The real reason for running wide off the turn up toward the bleachers is to make the run through T7 much straighter.

Bubba, For red group in T6 you can pass up until the middle of the turn. The biggest thing you don't want to do is to suddenly appear in someones way after tip in. Making a pass on the outside on entry into T6 is pretty safe as long as you don't pull back in front of the rider you are passing. As you can see in the vid you can make a pretty wide run through there and still make good time.

T1 you can pass up to about the orange box in red group. Again the outside is the spot to do it on the brakes.

The nice thing about a smaller bike is that you can make up for your lack of HP with good brakes and good braking technique...

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Behold... passing rules. There are actually a couple posters of this up in various places during the track day. http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...r-speedway.htm
    I was referring to that page when I posted my Q's. As I point out, the words say "No passing on any corners" yet the diagram suggests (and Adam seems to back this up) that you can pass going into some corners, ie T6 and 1. (Although I can't remember where the orange box is...)

I did miss the little print on that diagram which answers my question re: T10-11. It seems the 'outside' is considered the left there. I know I personally violated this rule.

I also observed the "pass on the right" rule on the front straight break down somewhat as the day progressed the day we were out there.

When the bikes are fairly straight up and down, then you can pass on either side. Between 10 and 11, you can do either side - depending on what the rider in front of you does.

Sometimes turning harder at the bottom of 9 and going on the right side as you accelerate out of 10 is easier and safer.. all depends what the PASSEE gives you for track. Same is true going up over the hill before the bowl.

At the very bottom of the bowl, the pass should be on the right. As you go down the hill however, either side is fine as both bikes are straight up and down still.

The main thing to remember in any of groups - the GOLDEN RULE, if you will - is that the rider in front owns the inside of the corner once the tip in point has been reached and all the way to the apex.

Other than the area around the Tree House (Turns 7 and 8), we are pretty easy going as long as you don't stand someone up. Passing in the Turn 7,8 area will get you a warning at minimum - and booted out if you cause someone else to crash.

The reason is pretty simple too. That is a 100mph area with bikes trying to go curb to curb. So a pass on the left side of 8 quickly becomes the inside of 9. If two bikes tangle entering Turn 9 - bad stuff usually happens.

Sorry... just realized this is not in the TTD section - so this info ONLY applies to Tonys Track Days. Other trackday org's have different rules and you should know those before riding at them.

Last edited by TTD; 12-03-12 at 11:46 PM.
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123