Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Who here is going to NYST 27-29?

Dic on

Re: Who here is going to NYST 27-29?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Well, that experiment is over: Iíll never use all that power. Everything else in the last year has gone wrong so why not this? Dropped the bike entering a corner in the last session before the lunch/storm break.

When I crashed last year it was after two days of riding, pushing the pace, and knew why. This time very purposefully started slow, in the Red group, to try and build back my confidence and learn the track. So wasnít pushing hard. Entering a corner and down I went.

So A. Didnít get to meet any of you in person and B. Now have a 2016 GSX-R750 with lots of expensive suspension and Woodcraft parts and cosmetic crash damage on both sides.

Banged up my shoulder so my neighbors helped me load up and was home by six. Bummer.
    Ugh, that sucks. Sorry about that. What Loudbeard said, almost always adding braking (or even just rolling off throttle) is what causes front end loss of traction entering corner. Get back on the horse, battle scars are cool.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Damn Dana. Hope things improve.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000R. Past: 2010 Streefighter S, 2006 Monter S2R1000, 2003 RC51

Or steering input once leaned over can wash the front pretty quick. There's a few ripples in a couple of the corners at nyst that can upset the front pretty good too.

A bump in turn three right at the apex, ripples at 11 and some at turn 13.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I’m not even certain it was turn 3 but I believe so. It was an uphill right hander. Have to go back and find the scar in the pavement....

As far as cause still unsure. Could have added throttle, may have hit the brake for some reason. Think you are probably right about throttle as IIRC it was second gear. Really surprised to go down because everything felt OK until then.

Haven’t looked at the bike yet, but have a telemedicine call tomorrow with the doc. Who will again chastise me for riding motorcycles. And I’ll respond I don’t drink, don’t smoke, now cancer free, don’t have high blood pressure, I’m gonna die from something....

Last edited by Garandman; 06-29-20 at 04:20 PM.
    If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

Turn 3 is the right hander after the straight if you were running counter clock wise.

I completely agree with your response to the doctor, too.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Tough break but glad to hear you’re mostly in one piece.

Iíve got a remarkable ability to screw up my motorcycle, especially right before a trip or a track day.

Was looking forward to trying my DR650 sumo on the track. Iíve had a Cogent shock and fork cartridge emulators I picked up a couple months ago, track day coming up finally gave me motivation to find time to install them. Started with the shock, pulled the rear wheel, out with old, in with the new, pretty straightforward. While the rear wheel was off, figured Iíd give the chain a good cleaning even though itís not really dirty. Dropped the back end of the chain into a tray of kerosene with an old paint brush, sparkling clean. Reinstall the rear wheel, figure Iíd take it for a little ride to evaluate the difference.

Roll it out of the garage, start it up, hop on, dang this shock is stiff, will back off some preload when I get back. Hit a couple manhole covers leaving my neighborhood, wow this really is stiff. Get onto the main road, hear a whirring noise, pull over thinking itís a fire truck in the distance, nope. Little further down the road, still there, take my earplugs out. Sounds like itís coming from the front, wtf havenít touched the front yet, Rain evaporating off the header? Pull onto a side road as itís getting louder and something definitely rubbing. Coast a little in neutral with engine off, still there. Walk alongside the bike, chain noise, wtf I just cleaned it. Whatís that black shit in the chain? Oh crap.

Who here is going to NYST 27-29?-6ea8859c-bcc9-43b7-a567-8dd59e0e154d

During that unnecessary chain cleaning, the chain slipped from above the lower roller to underneath it. I was still able to reinstall at the same tension marks. The shock stiffness I was feeling was actually the chain being pulled tight and limiting my swingarm travel. Ate the shit out of the lower roller and was rubbing against the bolt. Limped it home at walking speed. Chain initially looked in ok shape, thought I could get by with just replacing the roller. This is late Saturday afternoon. Dealers still open didnt have it in stock.

Sunday morning I met a guy way out in Eastern CT who had a roller. Installed that. Installed the emulators in the forks, straightforward as well. Looking good, but pouring rain means no shakedown ride at the moment. Well letís swap to the sumo wheels. Usual hassle dealing with the larger front rotor, whatever. Get the rear on, go to set the tension, oh shit. Come to find out the chain is really stretched, and itís missing all the O-rings on the inner side of the chain. At this point itís early evening, Iím stressed out, the garage is a mess, would have to prep another bike, load up the trailer in the rain, and be awake in like 7 hours for a 3.5 hour drive to NYST. Final straw was the baby just went to sleep in his bedroom above the garage, so cant turn on the compressor to air up the tires. Decided to cut my losses and my wife made a giant margarita. Was really looking forward to getting back to NYST for the first time since the year they opened.

-Matt

So what does “giant” Margarita mean? We talkin mixing bowl, punch bowl, or aquarium?

Last edited by Garandman; 06-29-20 at 11:07 PM.
    Will Rogers

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

sorry to hear about the mishaps. was was great to ride with a bunch of you.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

So what does “giant” Margarita mean? We talkin mixing bowl, punch bowl, or aquarium?
    Kiddie pool

Who here is going to NYST 27-29?-858940d1-f7f5-4875-8170-0089bc59d82d

I never got to say, “I had to lay ‘er down.”

Now that my shoulder is a little less sore I’m like “F-it, gonna get back on this horse.” Woodcraft is going to be able to build a new wing if so keep it up.

But we’ll see.

Will Rogers

I never got to say, “I had to lay ‘er down.”

Now that my shoulder is a little less sore I’m like “F-it, gonna get back on this horse.” Woodcraft is going to be able to build a new wing if so keep it up.

But we’ll see.
    Attaboy. Sometimes traction is a fickle mistress. There is often no way to determine if it was too much, or too little load on the front that caused it to tuck, but it's always one of the two. And usually there are several mistakes made that compound each other leading to the loss of traction. Don't think about it it too much. Just get back on the horse.

Paul_E_D

My 17yo son is as sympathetic as youíd expect....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who here is going to NYST 27-29?-bd13e345-1090-4bfa-90f6-94aca98b1f46  

Last edited by Garandman; 06-30-20 at 09:37 AM.
    Will Rogers

Where are yíall? Iím in the bottom corner of the square.
    I am in the same boat. Didn't get to ride day 1. went out second session day 2.

took 2 easy laps to warm up the tires, then crashed badly breaking for turn one. I know i didn't lock the front because I was progressively braking. On later inspection, turns out my pressures were in the mid 30s, which probably led to my tires still being cold.

I set them to 28/28 before I went out, so I guess my motion pro gauge is faulty. BOOOOOOO!

busted helmet, bodywork/rearset, shoulder (not too bad) and suit. Really pissed that my A* suit airbag did not deploy. Not sure why, I was upright and definitely not going slow.

I got lucky

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Or steering input once leaned over can wash the front pretty quick. There's a few ripples in a couple of the corners at nyst that can upset the front pretty good too.

A bump in turn three right at the apex, ripples at 11 and some at turn 13.
    I did that a couple years ago there turn 3 I think downtown. Leaned and added a bit of bar pressure and there it went.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/AXXrT7j7VW8

I know you really want to lay it down.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I am in the same boat. Didn't get to ride day 1. went out second session day 2.

took 2 easy laps to warm up the tires, then crashed badly breaking for turn one. I know i didn't lock the front because I was progressively braking. On later inspection, turns out my pressures were in the mid 30s, which probably led to my tires still being cold.

I set them to 28/28 before I went out, so I guess my motion pro gauge is faulty. BOOOOOOO!

busted helmet, bodywork/rearset, shoulder (not too bad) and suit. Really pissed that my A* suit airbag did not deploy. Not sure why, I was upright and definitely not going slow.

I got lucky
    Dang! That stinks Aria. The bike looked beautiful. It actually still looks really good. But you left a LOT of scratches on the track for sure. I also wonder why your astars didn't deploy. I assume it was charged and armed? I know you can upload the data and send it to them. There might be a 24 hour limit to how long the data is preserved.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Dang! That stinks Aria. The bike looked beautiful. It actually still looks really good. But you left a LOT of scratches on the track for sure. I also wonder why your astars didn't deploy. I assume it was charged and armed? I know you can upload the data and send it to them. There might be a 24 hour limit to how long the data is preserved.
    Well, I just called seacoast and adam ran me through the check, seems it did deploy and i just didn't feel it. I was wondering why I didn't break my collarbone and scalpula!

Oh, yeah, Kris and I have both had that same experience! It's hard to even know it went off. It's not quite like the GP guys who look all inflated. But also, when we crash it's hard to have awareness of what's going on inside your suit. LOL

Paul_E_D

Had XRay Tuesday and met with doc yesterday.

Broken collarbone - spiral fracture. Going to be in a splint for 4 weeks but surgery didnít seem warranted.

Probably going to sell the GSX-R as-is. Canít get replacement body parts right now. The bike is fine mechanically, just looks ugly. But I wonít be able to ride anytime soon.

Will Rogers

Been there, no fun, but all things considered, a minor bump.

Cover the GSXR in bed liner and stunt it, you could be part of the bike life crew - master’s division. Same hijinks, but they start at 3:00 PM and hit the early bird special at 4:30.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12