First Palmer, MA trackdays filling up fast

First Palmer, MA trackdays filling up fast

Just an early warning... we'll be at the Palmer track on May 13,14 (Sun and Mon), and spots are very limited.

My guess is we'll be SOLD OUT by the end of the weekend.

1 Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Re: First Palmer, MA trackdays filling up fast

How is Memorial Day looking? Keep hearing good things about Palmer, planning to trailer a bike up to RI when I visit for the week and hit at least Monday!

Anyone else on the forum intending to go that Monday?

Also, no gas available on site?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Zolden; 05-02-18 at 09:18 AM.
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    2007 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Cat herder

Quote Originally Posted by Zolden View Post
    How is Memorial Day looking? Keep hearing good things about Palmer, planning to trailer a bike up to RI when I visit for the week and hit at least Monday!

Anyone else on the forum intending to go that Monday?

I'll be there both days and I'm sure a bunch of others will as well.

I've seen photos of a fuel truck but don't know current status. There hasn't been gas in the past, but it's a short drive to town so no worries. Fill your bike's tank and a 2.5 gallon jug on the way in and you should be fine for the day.

What's special about the Memorial Day event is that they're running backwards, so the track has a whole different feel to it. They did that once last year IIRC but that's all.

If you can, try to do both days... or at least get there Sunday afternoon and camp. The track walk at 5:30 Sunday evening is spectacular.

0 Not allowed!

if that's what it says on our website, I will update it.

They started bringing in a truck last year that parks near the white tent. I think it's about 5 buck for 93 octane, and mainly available at lunch. Otherwise, there is a phone number to call, and then someone stops by to open the pump... and you pay via CC on a cell phone

0 Not allowed!
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    if that's what it says on our website, I will update it.

They started bringing in a truck last year that parks near the white tent. I think it's about 5 buck for 93 octane, and mainly available at lunch. Otherwise, there is a phone number to call, and then someone stops by to open the pump... and you pay via CC on a cell phone
    Thanks Tony, I do see that on your site after digging into the track pages. I was going off the Palmer site. The process sounds a bit... loose lol.

I ask about gas based on doing two days since I don't have a great way of transporting additional gas. Usually I can't burn through an entire tank in one day but the last couple track days we had some crashes that made us lose sessions. If I can swing both days I intend to (I am supposed to be up visiting family, oops). The track looks like a challenging skill builder and I'll be coming off two back to back days with superbike school so it seems a solid investment.

What is with the objects in the middle of the track after coming out of a turn in the videos though?

0 Not allowed!

Cat herder

What is with the objects in the middle of the track after coming out of a turn in the videos though?
    Do you mean the cones? Tony will have more to say on this, but the short answer is they're there to a) slow you down coming out of Turn 1 and b) keep you away from the enormous, terrifying rock wall on the outside of Turn 2.

If you were looking at the reverse direction video(s) shot by Tony's staff last year, they were doing an initial recon of the reverse (clockwise) line during a normal-direction day. Therefore the cones were set up for counter-clockwise travel, and are not applicable to what you'll find Memorial Day weekend.

Having not ridden the reverse direction, I don't know if TTD is putting up any cones going that way.

0 Not allowed!

Not sure which vid you are watching and from how old. We started with soft tires several years back, and now we have small, flexible cones (for the chicane).

Anytime we place anything on the track, we do it after great debate and thought. The goal is always to reduce danger, not introduce more.

Without the cones, our logic is that every rider would be in greater danger.

With the cones, only those riders that choose to ignore our advice to GO SLOWER through the cone area are in more danger. If you are told the stove is HOT and then choose to place your hand on it...

0 Not allowed!
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

My guess is it's the white X mark painted on the "line" on the Tarmac. If that's what you are referring too it's for learning as a reference point where to put your wheels. It helps keep you "on line".

0 Not allowed!

First Palmer, MA trackdays filling up fast-screen-shot-2018-05-07-a

This is what I was talking about, after watching it a couple times it appears to be the tires mentioned. Just seemed strange as it was coming out of what appeared to be a blind corner, at full lean, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Zolden; 05-07-18 at 05:03 PM.

It isn't quite as "blind" as the video seems. I think the video field of view is distorted vs reality. In reality the tires don't sneak up on you or anything. I found that chicane pretty easy to negotiate, and I'm not even that good of a rider.
    Also realize you're shaving a ton of speed coming up that hill. It's a strange sensation. Up hill combined with a pretty hard core braking zone.

0 Not allowed!

First Palmer, MA trackdays filling up fast-screen-shot-2018-05-07-a

This is what I was talking about, after watching it a couple times it appears to be the tires mentioned. Just seemed strange as it was coming out of what appeared to be a blind corner, at full lean, etc.
    Those are from a very early day... We don't use them anymore

0 Not allowed!

Thanks thanks... just curious is all, I'm certain there were was a purpose to them just haven't seen something like it before. Looking forward to riding with you guys (well whoever still actively uses this forum that will be in attendance anyway).

0 Not allowed!

That video is old... we don't use tires anywhere anymore

0 Not allowed!
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Thanks Tony. Pulled the trigger on the two days as I wanted to keep the momentum going. Back to back is the way to go. Learned an incredible amount with CSS at NJMP the past two days and I saw the light as far as the first day just really allowing you to get in the groove of it all.

Anyone else here going for both days? Assuming people do camp? I'm aware of Palmer having actually lived there for 13 years until 2002. Not a lot of accommodations around back in the day. Figuring out if I need to go get a tent to avoid driving 100 miles back to RI just to get up at 4:00am and do it again the next day.

0 Not allowed!

Cat herder

Anyone else here going for both days? Assuming people do camp? I'm aware of Palmer having actually lived there for 13 years until 2002. Not a lot of accommodations around back in the day. Figuring out if I need to go get a tent to avoid driving 100 miles back to RI just to get up at 4:00am and do it again the next day.
    Many if not most go both days and yes, lots of people camp. There's no grass, unfortunately, but plenty of asphalt available and lots of really hard-packed, rock-strewn dirt. A free-standing tent will work fine on asphalt. You might want a hefty tarp if you set up on the dirt.

Or just rent a garage and sleep on the floor. Done that too. (Reserve garages at the Palmer website... links on their calendar.

I prefer to stay at the track so don't know anything about lodging in the area, but no way do you have to drive all the way to RI to sleep. Just find a hotel. Your stuff will be okay at the track.

0 Not allowed!

I'm going Monday, not Sunday. Probably not tenting, it's only an hour drive for me. But it really depends if I end up buying new tires that will need to be sourced and mounted by the MTAG guys. If so, then I'll probably come the night before.

If you decide to rent a garage, I'll offer $25 to share it with you for Sunday night and the day on Monday.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 05-16-18 at 11:39 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

OR, I COULD SLEEP IN PAUL AND KERRY'S NEW SEXY TIME BUS, EH?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    OR, I COULD SLEEP IN PAUL AND KERRY'S NEW SEXY TIME BUS, EH?
    LMAO

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Kerry has the chance to SV it up with me in Palmer on the 28th, and at NYST on the 25th this year!

Been out of the game for a couple years due to spawning, she'll have to show me the ropes.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm going Monday, not Sunday. Probably not tenting, it's only an hour drive for me. But it really depends if I end up buying new tires that will need to be sourced and mounted by the MTAG guys. If so, then I'll probably come the night before.

If you decide to rent a garage, I'll offer $25 to share it with you for Sunday night and the day on Monday.
    I was about to throw out next if anyone is planning on renting a garage and only filling it with one bike that might want to share. But I'm not totally sold on camping because I been living that pampered life. NJMP has suites overlooking the straight with full beds and kitchenettes, pretty comfy to come back to after a day of shredding.

Speaking of tires, if I bring the RSVR it may need fresh ones after a full day, there are services present? (Not familiar with MTAG).

0 Not allowed!

Nice! Glad to see you making it out. Kerry loves to SV it up.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Speaking of tires, if I bring the RSVR it may need fresh ones after a full day, there are services present? (Not familiar with MTAG).
    Yes, tire service is present at most of the TTD's. However, Mike can only carry limited product, so it's best to pre order the tire(s) you'll need. If you don't put them on this event, just take them with you and he'll mount them next time. www.goMTAG.com is the place to order, and you can leave a note with the order stating which TTD you'll be at.

0 Not allowed!
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com