Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

'05-'07 gsxr mirrors on an '01-03?

Question '05-'07 gsxr mirrors on an '01-03?

Just want to see what people think about the feasibility
    of putting '05-'07 GSXR mirrors on an '01-'03 GSXR. I'd like to have mirrors with turn signals in them for better visibility than my current flushmounts. I was going to buy a pair off ebay and see if they might work but I thought I would see what people have to say first. Has anyone tried this?

Here is the '05-'07

Here is the '01-'03

People on ebay say that they cannot be modified to fit earlier years but there must be a way.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Punjistick; 08-29-06 at 12:42 AM.

Alex,

There is one way. When the spring of 07 rolls around, you and I will be going to the stealership to buy brand new GSXR's!!!

Originally posted by BadBoyBilly
    Alex,

There is one way. When the spring of 07 rolls around, you and I will be going to the stealership to buy brand new GSXR's!!!
    Nice! then we can be stars on our GSXRs

My initial guess would be to take off one of your side blinkers. If the connectors don't match (which they probably won't) cut them off and strip the wire a little more if need be on the new mirror and the blinker wire (part of wire harness) that your stock blinkers plugs into.

Connect the negative and positive wires together (black is usually negative), and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Now you'll just have to tape up the blinker wire (part of wire harness) and your stock blinker really good, or if you can find a replacement connector for the piece you cut off, then you can just clamp another one on.

I'm no electrical engineer but that would be my approach on trying it out.

I think I'll just get a pair off ebay, and like you said see what happens. If worst comes to worst i can always just sell them on ebay.

If that doesn't work I might try cutting into the back of my stock mirrors and see if I can install some sort of lens in. The only problem with that is finding a way to run the wire down. Perhaps I can hide it behind the rubber boot. I'll have to take my current mirrors off and see how I might run the wire.

the connection is the same but I think that the mounting has changed between the 05 and the 06.

MIne work great; I admire my elbows all day

I have risers but have to lift my left arm to look behind me.

I am adding at least 1 quality bar end mirror for next year

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Originally posted by richw
    MIne work great; I admire my elbows all day

I have risers but have to lift my left arm to look behind me.

They're not for looking at your elbows silly. They're for identifying which insect just splattered it's guts all over the arm of your jacket! Surely you have them adjusted too low.

Originally posted by throttlejunkie
    the connection is the same but I think that the mounting has changed between the 05 and the 06.
    Well I have an '01. Do you think they moved the position of the bolt holes since then? Chances are it will not line up but maybe I can fabricate some sort of adapter at the base.

I really like the idea of having the turn signals in the mirrors. With all these huge SUVs and trucks it's probably hard to see the turn signals when they are down low.

Originally posted by Punjistick
    I really like the idea of having the turn signals in the mirrors. With all these huge SUVs and trucks it's probably hard to see the turn signals when they are down low.
    Don't forget if you're going to take it to the track you're probably going to want to put connectors in there instead of hard wiring so you can remove them.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Not to mention that you're going to end up with holes in your fairing from the flush mounts that you'll be removing that you'll have to hide / cover / whatever.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Those are both good points, but I might just go and buy an '06 750. A dealer near me has some great deals on any make/model 2006's.

Now to decide if I really need a new bike or if this is an impulse buy.

Dude,

Go buy one. Maybe If I buy one with you they will give us a deal?!?!?!?!?!

I'm gona take my bike in tomorrow to see what they will give me. If it's good....I'll be leaving with an '06 750...if not then I will just keep it and fix it up over the winter and sell it, then take the money and maybe get an '07

I'm gona take my bike in tomorrow to see what they will give me. If it's good....I'll be leaving with an '06 750...if not then I will just keep it and fix it up over the winter and sell it, then take the money and maybe get an '07
    Might want to wait a day and post what the dealer is offering in trade. Somebody here or on gixxer.com may make a better offer.

Originally posted by Cheese-GSXR
    Might want to wait a day and post what the dealer is offering in trade. Somebody here or on gixxer.com may make a better offer.
    I just put a deposit on it so at least they wont sell it. They are willing to give me full NADA value of $4000 even with all the stuff it needs like tires and what not. I'm about to list it on ebay to see what I can get. I suspect I might be able to get more.

On a side note, is there anything about the 750 you don't like? Would you get it again if you had to do over? Too much power? Or too little?

I just put a deposit on it so at least they wont sell it. They are willing to give me full NADA value of $4000 even with all the stuff it needs like tires and what not. I'm about to list it on ebay to see what I can get. I suspect I might be able to get more.

On a side note, is there anything about the 750 you don't like? Would you get it again if you had to do over? Too much power? Or too little?
    I upgraded from an 02 600. This has a lot more pull down low and I love it. It has a lot more pull up top too but I ride mostly the street and only have had one half wet track day (8/29) on this bike to get comfortable with it.

That said, if I'd have had the cash, I would have kept the 600 for my occasional track days. Sucks putting a new bike on the track. Just one more thing in your head that you don't need when you're trying to focus on smooth, fast turns on the line.

Can you handle the 750, sure. But honestly, from my experience, you'd be a better rider if you kept that bike and put $1K into track time.

Edit: Forgot to answer your power questions.

Too much? Not if you're smooth on the throttle. Too little? More than enough to power wheelie, low side or high side. What else did you want to do?

Well I have an ex-Penguin school EX-500 for the track. The 750 would be street only for now. The EX is plenty for my current ability at track days. I need to work on so many other things and there is no way I would use all the power of even my old 600 on the track. Plus the EX is so much fun to really hammer on.

I'm not into wheelies and stunts. And I'm not all about top speed or HP. I guess I'm interested in the 750 'cause it has a bit more power than a 600 but still corners well? A new 600 is probably way faster than my old one but I guess I like the 750 since it is a bit more rare. I don't really know what I was trying to ask about the power of the 750.

I think I'll definetly get a new bike, or at least a newer used bike before next spring. Sure I could keep my current bike and drop some $$ to fix it up over the winter but in my opinion there are too many cosmetic things that annoy me about it. I don't mind the regular maintenance of it like the new tires and the valve check that it needs. But the flaking paint on the wheels, white powder in the headlight (from too high of wattage bulbs that the previous owner put in), the scratches on it, and broken tabs here and there, among other things, are too much. I can't even get the stock bulbs I put in to point at the correct angle because that area of the headlight is melted a bit.

I guess the bottom line is mechanically the bike is fine but cosmetically it is beat. It'd make a great track bike for someone, or street bike for someone who doesn't care about the looks.

we all could "make do" with 600's but whats the fun in that? btw the gix 750 is a 600 with 20 more hp according to all the magazines.

90% of the time you won't need all that power. but for the times when you can use it. its worth it