Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this possible???

Is this possible???

WABASHA, Minn. - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license — and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Is this possible???

They were talkin about this of WAAF this morning.

Guys kept callin in telling lies about bikes. One guy called and said it was probably the new Buell XB9 Thunderbolt cause they are fast as hell. Another guy said that a stock Hayabusa and CBR1100XX does 205mph.

Morons.

L.B. kept on saying that the guy must of had Nitrous to get a jap bike goin that fast. They are such morons. I hate the Hillman Morning Show.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Is this possible???

Actually a stock Hayabusa will do over 200 if you remove the electronic restriction on it. I think the top is only a little bit over 200..

The article here:

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/review40.htm

Talks about how the bike manufacturers agreed to limit (mainly through electronic means) the top speed of bikes to 189 MPH.

Lifer

Is this possible???

I could see Stock Hayabusa or ZX-11/12 doing it with a tailwind.

Is this possible???

I said stock. Once you "modify" it by removing the restriction, it is not stock any longer.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Is this possible???

I'm SURE summa the stock 'kings of speed' can easily do that with minor alterations. Most all of 'em are 'governed' to something like, 187 MPH. If ya gotta hold 'em back from going over that, seems it's not so outta reach. To me anyway...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I Dance With Will

Is this possible???

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    That story even made Paul Harvey this morning...

you listen to Paul Harvey? cool!

"fuckit!"

Is this possible???

C'mon guys, this is a motorcycle dedicated website!!!!!! We all know that 200+ MPH is near impossible on PUBLIC ROADS. I'm sure you all realize the science involved in attaining speed...aerodynamics, gearing, etc, etc...
    I, personally, just don't see it happening.
    Just my 2 cents...

LRRS#167

Is this possible???

Originally posted by lrrs167
    C'mon guys, this is a motorcycle dedicated website!!!!!! We all know that 200+ MPH is near impossible on PUBLIC ROADS. I'm sure you all realize the science involved in attaining speed...aerodynamics, gearing, etc, etc...
    I, personally, just don't see it happening.
    Just my 2 cents...

Yup, very true. While it is quite possible to do so under the best conditions at say the Utah Salt Flats...

Just a little math reveals that 205mph translates to .05694 miles per second. ((205/60)/60)

Given the officers observed time of 4.39 seconds puts the distance between those markers at 1/4 mile (4.39 * .05694).

With 1/4 mile markers, the formula to calculate the speed is: 900 / num seconds. Given that equation, every tenth of a second of variation in the timing results in 4 - 5 mph difference in calculated speed. A vehicle traveling at 200 mph, is traveling at 293 ft per second... Its pretty easy to see how a few minor tenths of a second off on the stop watch and an error in vantage point could make the actual speed far less than 205mph... maybe even as much as 10% less judging by the numbers.

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Is this possible???

Thanks, hohum!!!! I was waiting for someone to articulate my point much better that I did.

LRRS#167

Is this possible???

I'm stickin' to it. I still think it's possible. Hell, there's parts of 93 & 89 in NH where I bet someone could pull it off given the right bike...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Is this possible???

Originally posted by lrrs167
    Thanks, hohum!!!! I was waiting for someone to articulate my point much better that I did.
    Yeah, that makes perfect sense hohum. Too bad the poor bastard's going up for doing 205 though...Anyone actually think they'll admit there is a 99.999% chance their calculation was wrong? Yeah right, think again...he's fok'd!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

Is this possible???

Originally posted by Stoneman
    I'm stickin' to it. I still think it's possible. Hell, there's parts of 93 & 89 in NH where I bet someone could pull it off given the right bike...
    And how you gonna verify it? Gonna look down at the GPS while goin 200 to see Given that your speedo ain't gonna do it for ya, the error % at those speeds has to be pretty high!

Yeah, I am willing to bet its 'possible' to do (right fairings, right wind conditions, right road conditions, right bike (sprocketed, nitrous, whatever ya gotta do)), just not likely there are too terribly many members of the 200MPH on street bike club out there.

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Is this possible???

Originally posted by gixxer6
    Yeah, that makes perfect sense hohum. Too bad the poor bastard's going up for doing 205 though...Anyone actually think they'll admit there is a 99.999% chance their calculation was wrong? Yeah right, think again...he's fok'd!
    Heh, it actually doesn't even matter really. Even if they admit their calculation could be a bit off, the most it would be off is by say 20 MPH or so, and even then its pretty serious criminal speed/reckless endangerment/etc. Even if they admit it, whats it gonna do, save $200 on $2000 ticket?

Heh

Is this possible???

The quote below from roadracingworld.com says it ALL:

At post time, Roadracingworld.com was unable to contact the rider to determine what laws of physics had been repealed, allowing him to get a streetbike to go 205 mph.

LRRS#167

Is this possible???

here's what I don't understand, it we know that is nearly(read NEARLY) immpossible to do this speed, and motorcycles are governed to 187, now mind you this is the speedo at 187, and most speedo's are off by let's say 5%. He could then prove in court that is was completely immpossible for him to be doin 205, then wouldn't he be able to have the charges thrown out

Is this possible???

The charges ARE NOT gonna get thrown out. That is something that I think we can all agree on. Even if the speeding charge is proven false, there is still the reckless charge AND the no motorcycle endorsement.

The Ticket

Last edited by odduc; 09-22-04 at 02:39 PM.
    LRRS#167

Is this possible???

The charges ARE NOT gonna get thrown out. That is something that I think we can all agree on. Even if the speeding charge is proven false, there is still the reckless charge...

I thought we were talking hypotheticly OJ got aquitted right

Is this possible???

he may be able to have it reduced, but no way it's getting thrown out.

he was still going what they technically call "fooking fast"

Is this possible???

205 in a 1/4 mile...........I'm calling BULLSHIT. That must be one of those "rigged" stop watch.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Is this possible???

All he has to do is prove that the office misscalculated, once that is done the speeding charge get thrown out and so does the reckless. He will how ever have to pay for not having a lisence.

I Dance With Will

Is this possible???

Originally posted by Stoneman
    ill give it a shot.

"fuckit!"

Is this possible???

Originally posted by Buddhaman
    All he has to do is prove that the office misscalculated, once that is done the speeding charge get thrown out and so does the reckless. He will how ever have to pay for not having a lisence.
    Even if he proves it was miscalculated (and just try gettin a judge to go easy on ya when ya come in with a speeding charge of 140 over), at the most the speeding will be reduced. I would highly doubt they would reduce it to below a reckless charge.

Anyone else find it vaguely odd the kid didn't have an M endorsement, had full leathers/gear, and was going that fast without an M endorsement?

Fishy as hell.

I Dance With Will

Is this possible???

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    speed=$
    come to think of it. everything is $$.

"fuckit!"

Lifer

Is this possible???

As some of my friends have found out the hard way, once you pass the 100 mph mark all bets are off. The actual speed becomes insignificant, there are so many other charges they can nail you with, careless and negligent, attempting to elude, etc. In some states I think they can even bring in assualt with a deadly weapon. Regardless, the guy is screwed.

The post doesn't say he was able to hit 205 in a 1/4 mile, it says he went through the 1/4 timing marks at 205. Usually distance over time tickets are extremely accurate because the times are long enough to negate any error induced by reaction times. As mentioned in earlier posts, even the slightest amount of reaction time could easily scew the results.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast