Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

06 or 07 Triumph S3 or Sprint ST

I've been thinking about trading up for a more comfortable bike for a while now, and I just wouldn't mind something new. I've been toying with the idea of either a new Speed Triple, or a new Sprint ST. Anyone have experience with either or both bikes?

I'm most curious about riding comfort, mileage per tank and overall riding satisfaction.

Also, any complaints about either?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 06 or 07 Triumph S3 or Sprint ST

I rode an ST for a quick jaunt, a wonderful bike with an amazing exhaust note. The post is around here someplace...

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

I have not ridden either one, but I ride a daytona and often with guys from the triumph group so ive seen and sat on both.

I think if you plan much 2 up riding or real touring the ST is the way to go and from the way ive seen ppl in front of me ride it, still very capeable. The Spd3 is much more of a hooligan bike to throw around in the twisties and around town without the wind protection for long highway rides like the ST has.

I can't answer specific mpg, but from sitting on both the ST is more comfortable and upright in that bigger bike kinda way, the Spd3 a bit more aggressive. A great resource for the mpg and other questions you may have is

T595

From what I understand, most Triumph dealers will let you testride. I went to a demo day at Second Wind BMW & Triumph. I tried out the Speed Triple and it was fun. It was a pretty long test ride 20-30 minutes I think. I would find someone who owns one though and pick their brain as to likes and dislikes about it.

Thanks for the info so far. I live about 15 minutes from Second Wind, so I'll stop by soon to do some test riding.

Almost forgot about 1 key question: what are the service intervals for Triumphs? I'd like to get away from required valve clearance checks every 6,000 miles

The new ST has gotten great reviews and is really great looking, plus you can get hard bags for touring with it. Definately what I am looking at when I trade in the beater.

I piss excellence!

hey tim as alex said just call second wind and set up some test rides on all models your interested in.

the speed trip is a whole lot of fun. much like your monster minus the intense maintance. i felt like i was on a dirt bike. short wheelbase and flat wide bars. very fun hooligan bike. the sprint to me seems like a big bike like my vfr was, tall too. i didn't get to ride it. maybe next time.

Littering and........

The S3 is a very fun bike, but you will get blasted with wind.

The Sprint ST will keep you shielded from the wind, but wont offer the same cornering clearance or power the S3 has.

I'm not very helpful, am i?

I ride a Ducati Monster, so I'm used to no wind protection. The service intervals sound a bit better, since they are at 12,000 mile intervals instead of 6,000. One question though: are the 12,000 mile intervals usually just a valve check? or are the valves typically out of spec and in need of adjustment every 12,000 miles?

they are usually within spec. from what I read at t595.net
    Had mine done about 2k miles ago and they were all good.

My Tiger has 30thousand plus miles on it and I haven't had to replace any shims yet . No more maintenance intensive than a jap bike , just change the oil and off ya go

eat me

Tim, get the Speed Triple ! That is an awesome bike !

LRRS#167

Originally posted by zombie
    My Tiger has 30thousand plus miles on it and I haven't had to replace any shims yet . No more maintenance intensive than a jap bike , just change the oil and off ya go
    I like the sound of that

Originally posted by odduc
    Tim, get the Speed Triple ! That is an awesome bike !
    Thats what I'm leaning towards, assuming it is comfortable enough. The one thing that has me still thinking about the Sprint is the mileage that Lee gets on his between gas-ups.

I was actually thinking about an Aprilia Tuono, but I'm trying to get a cheaper bike than what I have now, and the Tuono is somewhere between $13,000 and $14,000. The insurance is also cheaper on either of the Triumphs than the Aprilia, or my Duc for that matter.

Originally posted by Leebo
    Tim,
    You have cursed me out for before for me laughing about the range of my Sprint. Remember "232 miles and the fuel warning light is not even on yet". hahaha
    Lee
    I really do love that about the Sprint and any other sport tourer for that matter.

It looks like the 955i Speed Triples were getting anywhere from 110 to 160 miles before the fuel light comes on. I can't find any info on the current 1050 though.

I typically get about 100 miles on my Monster before the fuel light comes on, so either bike would be an improvement.

i'll make an educated guess and say that your monster has about the same range as the s3. no areodynamics to speak of and a small tank.

I rode a 05 speed triple and have had a couple of 02 speed triples, the 05 is a stonking pice of kit and is good for 130 before worrying about fuel. If you are thinking about similar riding style to your monster then the speed triple is the way to go. The midrange on these bikes is awesome and pulls strongly in any gear and they are a complete blast to ride..
    The sprint is a nice bike too but I lean towards the speed 3 due to the riding style of the bike.
    Either bike is fine but for pure fucking about the speed 3 is the way to go

eat me

Originally posted by zombie
    I rode a 05 speed triple and have had a couple of 02 speed triples, the 05 is a stonking pice of kit and is good for 130 before worrying about fuel. If you are thinking about similar riding style to your monster then the speed triple is the way to go. The midrange on these bikes is awesome and pulls strongly in any gear and they are a complete blast to ride..
    The sprint is a nice bike too but I lean towards the speed 3 due to the riding style of the bike.
    Either bike is fine but for pure fucking about the speed 3 is the way to go
    Now I really need to test ride the Speed Triple. I'm going to try as many bikes as possible to make sure I know what I want. I'm going over to Second Wind BMW Triumph, so I might even test ride a few BMWs while I'm there. I might even throw a leg over a Triumph Thruxton (if they have one) for fun.

thats whats great about triumph. they let you test them all. i had a blast test riding the rocket 3 cruiser.