Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

07 GSX-R 750 or 08 Daytona 675?

07 GSX-R 750 or 08 Daytona 675?

I think I have narrowed my bike search to these two bikes, I found both used for a price that I think is more than fair. I am stuck between the two.

I want fun riding, im not all about "bigger is better". I was hoping for something comfortable which neither are 100% comfy but I will work around them, corbin and or heli bars etc..

But any thoughts either way?

I like the gsxr because I can get parts easier than I can for the 675 and its been tested more etc etc. I think they are both close on comfort although the 675 has more of a race stance and higher seat so palm pressure might be a pain... The Daytona is something less people have so I like that but at least im looking at at 750 not a gsxr 600 or gsxr 1000 which everyone has..

Also I will be doing 2up riding a bunch as well if that is a consideration either way.

-Lou

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Add me on LinkedIN
    Buying or selling a car? Free listings - FeaturedCars.com

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)
    88 YSR50 (Street Hilarity)

Re: 07 GSX-R 750 or 08 Daytona 675?

As the owner of a daytona, I can tell you 2 things to a certainty:

1. The bike is the most fun bike I've ever owned or been on.

Seriously....power @ any RPM in any gear. Its an extremely thin bike & will drop-in to turns very nicely. I've spent 3-4 hrs straight on it with no real comfort issues (I'm using stock clip-ons + gel seat).

2. 2-Up riding, even with the gel-seat, is not a strong suit of the daytona.

My wife loves going out on the bike, but at the absolute most can last about 45 min - 1hr MAX back there. The steep seat angle & the fact that she is literally looking over my helmet also doesn't help in any kind of traffic.

Honestly though, I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices! Good luck

'08 Daytona 675 SE
    T-Rex Spools | Triumph Gel Seat | Pazzo Levers | TechSpec Grips | HID

Also owning a Daytona myself, I agree that it is way fun to ride, and unique in its own way. Don't see a whole lot of them around, which is one reason I really like it.

2-up riding is a bit harsh on the passenger, especially if said passenger has longer legs, as the pegs are a bit high.

And if you're considering a Daytona, I hear this one is quite nice
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...5-6-200-a.html

hopefully she doesnt read this but shes all of 5'1" and has short legs so its more getting on and off the pegs that might be an issue.

At least I take solace in the fact that it seems like its a legitimate tough decision lol.

Anyone else with some insight?

-Lou

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

Where both of you have Daytonas, any issues with a 2.5 hour mostly highway ride? I might have to make that trip once a month or something so wanted to make sure I wouldnt hate the bike when I got where i was going

Issues with comfort / being wound up on the highway at 80 for that long. Thats part of the reason i was considering the gsxr 750, has a bit longer legs so possibly lower rpm on the highway.

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

This should be a good read for you:

2007 GSX-R750 vs Daytona 675 - MotorcycleUSA.com

I think it may come down to your intended use of the bike. The 675 makes a great track bike (one of the better ones), but isn't well suited for commuting duty. The GSX-R750 on the other hand, is a more liveable bike day-to-day, and is less taxing on longer rides. The 750 doesn't stand out though, and doesn't really feel special, not in the way the Daytona does. The GSX-R is really more of a mechanical masterpiece, it does everything perfectly, but doesn't "stir the soul," so to speak. However, if its power you're after, the Suzuki will satisfy you much more than the Daytona...remember, the 750 is more of a Superbike than a middleweight Supersport. It's a tough choice, but I'd say it comes down to whether you want be fast(er), or you want to be different. No matter what you get, you'll love it.

Im going to read the article now. I have a 01 SV 650 for track duty so its more just street duty. And its funny that with every post more of the questions ive had pop out. Its kind of a status vs function thing as with lots in life. The 675 pops and coming from my TT600 which I get a lot of questions on, I would like that but then again I stand out more for the cops as well.

hmmm ok reading..

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

We've talked a bunch already and I've told you what I think. While a VFR or something similar wont get you the sportbike looks, it will handle anything you can throw at it on the street, will ride 2 up better, and will commute better. Hell it even looks good with hardbags. After doing trackdays for a little bit, I don't see the need for a repli-racer on the street anymore. I must be getting old..

Again, you've heard it all before but I've been to the Cabot trail on the 675. I road out to the Indy GP and came home via KY and the Gap. Commuting/touring can be done on it, but I think my taller then average body means I'm not going to stretch out on the thing as much. If you've not sat on one, the seat height is high as well. It may be time to find some of these bikes and have a seat on them to see what you like/don't like.

For me the 750 vs the 675 boils down to this:

The 750 is more practical in parts, maintenance, and day to day things. Amazing bike.

The 675 triple makes the most intoxicating growl when you really get on it. During a day of riding around, you'll always get a "I didn't know Triumph made a rice rocket" or an old timer telling stories about his first bike (a Triumph). It's a very quick steering little bike that has a lot of character. But you are going to pay for it in aggressive seating, geometry, ect.

I love my 675, and my plan is to never get rid of it. But I think it will be the last non trackday sportbike I own as well.

Last edited by Hoss; 04-13-10 at 06:26 PM.
    2006 Triumph 675
    2002 Yamaha R6 Track Bitch

I've got an 04 750 and love it. Does track days with ease, commutes and you don't see 50 of them at bike nites. Will hang with liter bikes at most tracks and will def pull a 600. I've spent 3-4 hours on it nonstop. I want to buy a couple more.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Loun View Post
    Also I will be doing 2up riding a bunch as well if that is a consideration either way.
    If you care about your passenger, find two other bikes to consider.

In my opinion, and if you haven't done it already, see if you can take both bikes out for a spin (if you can or have friends that will let you). You can read all the review articles, comparisons, and road tests till your head explodes, but the bottom line is you should get the one that makes YOU want to ride.

Lifer

What has been said...the GSX750 is considered by many as a perfect balance of 600 size and maneuverability with much stronger power and midrange. Plus, the GSX is considered the comfiest of the sports bikes for daily commuting. I think the 675 torque availability will make the difference in power negligible for street use. The 675 is considered a pretty aggressive ride with a very high seat. I think the GSX750 is a much better choice if you plan on doing a 2.5hr highway ride. That being said, love my FZ6 comfort and 2-up ride-ability and it rips when I want it to.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by Loun View Post
    Where both of you have Daytonas, any issues with a 2.5 hour mostly highway ride? I might have to make that trip once a month or something so wanted to make sure I wouldnt hate the bike when I got where i was going
    I do the occasional trek from CT to Brockton every once in a while (~2hrs). It's honestly not that bad & I could go further if I had to. The best mod I did for comfort was the Triumph Gel seat (~$100, I believe). The stock seat is like sitting on a wooden board.

I think you'll be happy either way you go....but when you're hitting the twisties by yourself, you'll get a bigger shit-eatin' grin from the 675

'08 Daytona 675 SE
    T-Rex Spools | Triumph Gel Seat | Pazzo Levers | TechSpec Grips | HID

GSXR 750

I have never rode the 675, so I can't speak to that. I have an '05 GSX-R 750 and love it. I have had no problems on long hauls from Boston to Buffalo, Pilly, Charlestown SC. Ive got almost 30k on the clock and have had no problems. Comfy ride, and the power that you want when you want it. Its also a really good commuter bike as well. Parts are cheep and easy to get. I don't know how 2 up riding is for long rides the farthest I've taken anyone has been only a few miles.

Loun,

I got an 06 750 (which is the same as a 07). Honestly speaking it's a very comfortable bike for me. I used to have a 1999 CBR 600 F4, and after 45 minutes on that bike I just wanted to get off of it. The 750, I can ride that thing for hours and have minimal pain. This past Sunday I was on it from 10am to 7pm (i'll admit last hour of the ride I needed to get off of it).

The amount of power it has is perfect. It's got more than a 600 but less then a 1000 which I think is a perfect balance. TONS of aftermarket parts are available on the market. If you're not a tall person, I believe the GSX-R's have one of the lowest seat heights on the market. I beleive it won the motorcycle of the year back in 2006 by motorcycle magazine??? That says a lot about the bike.

As far as passanger riding goes, I don't do a lot of it because I'm simply not a fan of it on a sportbike. My g/f constantly asks me to take her out but I come up with excuses not to. The passenger height isn't as high as it is on a 675. My GF's head is slightly higher then mine when she's on the back and we're both 5'10".

Only downside so the GSX-R that I can think of is that everyone and their grandmother has one, and it is the official bike of a squid. It might not have the uniqueness of the Daytona, but it's still somewhat unique. It's the only 750cc production sportbike .

Last edited by Billy; 04-14-10 at 07:28 AM.

I only have 2 days on my d675, I'm in love.

But it is much more aggressive and more uncomfortable than my previous cbr600rr, exactly why I'm in love.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Alright, it looks my decisions been made and im amazed at how tough of a decision its been. My gf has been laughing reading all of these posts because they are the exact arguments ive been having with myself for pros and cons of each bike.

Ever since the Daytona 675 came out, Ive wanted one. The bike is an absolutely amazing thing to look at. They came out with a Caspian Blue this year that I want badly. Its the same color as my current Triumph and as someone said, there isnt really a day that goes by that im not at a gas station or a store and some old guy wanders over and says... they didnt make Triumphs like that when I was riding... nice bike. I have an 01 TT 600 Caspian blue that I can park at the beach among all the other newer bikes and its the one getting looks because its different and stands out. Love Love Love the triumphs. With that said they decided not to import the Caspian Blue 675 this year. The only one available is the 08 Caspian Blue which means its misses all the new year mods. Front fairing redesign, suspension tweaks, tweaked internals, 2lb lighter rear wheel, gauge clusters different, some of the geometry is different and when I had sat on an 08 before i couldnt see the gauge cluster in riding position, the 09 front changes fixed that.

That Motorcycle USA article said they would choose the 675 over the 750 based on their tests, most were track related reasons. I have a SV for the track so am looking for something to just street. I think parts availability, the power availability, more comfort based on its stance, and what I believe will be easier 2 up riding make the GSXR 750 the bike im going to purchase.

With that said Im going to miss the "triumph club" a group of fine gentleman who like the finer things in the world, as I wave goodbye to them... im waving hello to the teenager with a bandanna on wheelieing by me on his new Gixxxxa!!

Oh god help me... Thanks everyone, my plan is to ride this for the year if I still really really want a 675 then I will try to find a Caspian Blue 10 that I can import or thats been brought over

-Lou

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

I know exactly what you're going through. I am stuck trying to decide between the hypermotard and the 848 myself.

I think you made the right choice with the gsxr. I have ridden both of them and for the street and from a 2 up stand point, the 750 is the way to go. It is more comfortible for both people and a little more 'umpf isn't a bad idea when you carry double the weight on 2 up rides.

And have you taken the 675 for a spin on a 90+ degree day? If you didn't have swamp ass before, you have it now.

Congrats!

+1 on the 750 but I'm a little biased

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post
    +1 on the 750 but I'm a little biased
    It's because of you and your 750, I went and got one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    It's because of you and your 750, I went and got one too!
    Haha! I wasn't even looking at bikes until you mentioned the good reviews the 750 was getting.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Motorcycles, especially sportbikes are not tools of practicality. Get the 675, it's the bike you want, it's the one you pine over. You will always regret it if you don't. They can be made very comfortable with the right mods.

CCS/LRRS #83

Scottie,

Great advice and its what I would have done if they actually imported the 2010 Caspian Blue as they had planned to. THAT is the bike I want, if I bought an 08 (found one with 800 miles on it) then id want the upgrades they did for the 09/10 models. There were slight changes to the front of the newer ones that made the gauge cluster more visible to the rider.. there were a lot of things that would make settling for almost the bike I want not worth it. Id rather get a bike all together different than deal with the negatives of having a bike close to what I want but still not be it.

I am supposed to pickup my 750 tonight. Wish me luck I already have a Gixxer.com account because of a 95 750 I have that im fixing up to sell so ive started logging back in over there. Watched some Gixxer vids and thought to myself.. "friggin squids" on 9/10 of the videos lol. Should be a blast though

-Lou

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

At least you'll stay younger longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast