Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rotten Egg Smell

Question Rotten Egg Smell

Hey guys. I have on '05 GSX-R 600. I rode out to Laconia yesterday and did some riding around out there. About 5 hours worth without an issue. Stayed at a buddies house out there last night, then rode back this morning. Only about a 3 hour trip back. So, about the last hour or so of the ride, i would get a rotten egg smell when i came to a stop. Not real bad, but noticeable. So on the last stretch of the ride i decided to hop on the highway and try to "clean it out" a bit. But it was still noticeable when i got home. It definitly seems to be coming from the exhaust. The bike seemed to run perfectly other than the smell. Only mods to the bike engine wise is a Yosh bolt on, which i cut about 3 inches out of. And no cats in '05. Is this something i need to be worried about? Think its just from lugging around for so long at low RPM riding? Sorry for the long winded story, and thanks for the help.
    Lane

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rotten Egg Smell

Rotten egg smell is normally associated with hydrogen sulfide. This smell isn't all that unusual on vehicles with catalytic converters, as the cat's job is to convert is to burn leftover stuff, and fuel contains some amount of sulfur, so H2S is a common by product.

Now, without a cat, one thing to watch for is a battery problem. Your battery could be sulfating.

It could be from lugging around. Check, and keep an eye on the battery. Sulfur is normally not allowed to build up, but could at low speeds. Also, for the next few fillups, go to a "quality" brand if possible (I normally pay no attention to this), as there are minor differences.

I wouldn't worry, but would check the battery. It could take a few hundred miles to get rid of the smell. Make sure you're keeping it "warmed up" as you ride (but I'm not responsible for tickets) .

thanks Jasnmar. I was thinking something similar. Ill definitly keep an eye on the battery as well. I usually make sure to fill up at what appears to be quality gas stations with 93 (even tho 87 is only recommended, but we wont get into that.) This is the most miles i have put on the bike in such a short time, so it may be quite normal under the circumstances, and i just havnt experienced it yet. I appretiate the feed back, and if its doesnt seem to get better with "normal" riding, then i guess i will have reason for concern.

had the same problem with a buddies bike, ended up being the battery. go for a little bit of a ride then take the seat off and VISUALLY check the battery. im his case the battery STUNK and was sort of bubbling and steaming..yea not good...in that case new battery

Right on. The smell seemed to me to be coming from the exhaust, but it seems i need to take a much closer look at the battery. Ill take it out tomorrow and take a good look at the battery and try to verify exactly were the source of the smell is coming from. Thanks again

Go check it NOW, if it IS the battery, you're likely venting acid somewhere, and that leaves a nasty mess. Use baking powder to neutralize any acid you find.

Sulfur smell is an overcharged battery. We do these calls once every couple months at work. Don't wait, check the battery now. Totally remove it from the bike.

Ok you guys convinced me. I removed the battery from the bike for tonight. No evidence of any acid, wetness, or deformities with the battery, but i completely removed it from the bike for tonight until i can look into it a little further tomorrow. Glad you guys brought this up, because if it is the battery, and it leaked and ruined anything, i would have been heart broken.

Just wanted to update this in case someone else runs into this and is in search of help. Turns out, as much as i would have sworn it was from my exhaust, it was my battery like you all were saying. I removed the battery, just in case, and three days later, it was dead. Installed a new battery and after a 4 1/2 hour ride to maine on friday, i can definitly confirm that the smell is gone. So in short, it was the battery all along, and not a fueling issue. Thanks again for the help guys, cause i was headed in completly the wrong direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops, forgot one quick question. Im charging at 14.9 volts. Does that seem high?

I believe that's actually what batteries are supposed to be charged at. From what I remember, that's what the Battery Tenders do also. They'll "quick charge" from between 14.2-15V, then switch to maintenance mode at 13.2-13.6V.

You should be okay at 14.9V so long as you aren't keeping it at that level past fully charged.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R