Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

07 ZX6R

07 ZX6R

My buddy just picked up one of these bad boys. Just curious to know if any of you had a chance to get on one of those yet. I took that think for a decent ride, And wasnt comfortable with the power delivery in the higher Rpm ranges. The thing is, IT Felt quick through the mid range into the top but, All of the sudden It felt like I was riding a dirt bike (2stroke) in the UPPER Rpms. . Its a hot bike. Just not used to it. Thoughts??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

07 ZX6R

How many miles on the motor?

07 ZX6R

I have an '06... '07 is a different motor though, I believe they did away with the 636.

When's the power kick in? 8k?

07 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
    My buddy just picked up one of these bad boys. Just curious to know if any of you had a chance to get on one of those yet. I took that think for a decent ride, And wasnt comfortable with the power delivery in the higher Rpm ranges. The thing is, IT Felt quick through the mid range into the top but, All of the sudden It felt like I was riding a dirt bike (2stroke) in the UPPER Rpms. . Its a hot bike. Just not used to it. Thoughts??
    The stock exhaust has a flap in it. In the settings from the factory the flap only opens 75-80% because of noise and emissions stuff.

If you get a copy of Road Racing World from a few months ago (the one with the 600cc Shootout), they show a wire jump in order to bypass the US "map" that is loaded in the ECU and install the "european map". The euro map will allow the flap to open to 100% and in the Roadracing World Dyno test... it showed like 5-6 more HP after the by pass.

Note: If you replace the exhuast system with an aftermarket one, then the flap is done away with.

07 ZX6R

it might have a faulty powerband.. which can be replaced under warranty.

07 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by bump909 View Post
    it might have a faulty powerband.. which can be replaced under warranty.
    they are known to dry rot during shipment. get a new one easy fix

Tuono

07 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by Scottg22 View Post
    The stock exhaust has a flap in it. In the settings from the factory the flap only opens 75-80% because of noise and emissions stuff.

If you get a copy of Road Racing World from a few months ago (the one with the 600cc Shootout), they show a wire jump in order to bypass the US "map" that is loaded in the ECU and install the "european map". The euro map will allow the flap to open to 100% and in the Roadracing World Dyno test... it showed like 5-6 more HP after the by pass.

Note: If you replace the exhuast system with an aftermarket one, then the flap is done away with.

The flap is closed under 7k ish for torque\noise reasons. You can hear\feel it open. Kawiforums explains that they just close the flap again after 12k or so for some kind of regulations (noise, whatever). When people install the jumper you see identical power curves until 12k or so, then the jumpered bike keeps going for 5 more hp.

Those guys aren't always right, but a flap that only opens 80% of the way sounds weird.

07 ZX6R

We are both on the same train of thought here... I dont have the magazine and I briefly read the article. Just explaining that there is more power to be had by finding the magazine and following the instructions. Or as you pointed out you could go the the kawi-net forum and learn the info there as well.

My understanding is the flap was not 100% at upper RPM's because of noise decibels.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

07 ZX6R

Its true - but beware if you do it and it melts ur ecu or something - no more warranty

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

07 ZX6R

We are both on the same train of thought here... I dont have the magazine and I briefly read the article. Just explaining that there is more power to be had by finding the magazine and following the instructions. Or as you pointed out you could go the the kawi-net forum and learn the info there as well.

My understanding is the flap was not 100% at upper RPM's because of noise decibels.
    oh, then we are in violent agreement sir

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    Its true - but beware if you do it and it melts ur ecu or something - no more warranty
    for what its worth the guys on the kawi forum are convinced that jumper is harmless... there's some info from people inside kawasaki, and the schematics of kawisaki's "race kit" which jumpers the same two leads that people do for this mod.

07 ZX6R

If you have the option, go with the blue powerband, as opposed to the factory installed green one.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.