Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

08 liter bikes as rated by Sport Rider mag

08 liter bikes as rated by Sport Rider mag

not that thier opinion is holy, but i get the magazine and this months they compared the 08 r1, gsxr1000, cbr1000, and zx10. i was surprised what they had to say. kawasaki ended up winning in just about every category except top speed and riding comfort. the r1 came is last in most. the finals rank was:

1. zx10
    2. cbr
    3. gsxr
    4. r1

if someone really wants to know i can most what they say in more detail, but im just wondering what people think.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1995 Yamaha FZR600- my learner, sold
    2001 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750- cutoff by an illegal U-turner and totaled
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen... R1s are a hot commodity, huh? any anti-theft system suggestions?

Current: 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1

BenSmith

Re: 08 liter bikes as rated by Sport Rider mag

i've read in like 3-4 different mags that while the kwak is back to being even crazier than the first gen ZX10R, the CBR is all around just on a totally different level, like the 07 600RR thrashing all the 600s.

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

yea they said that the cbr is nasty. its strange that honda changed from having the underseat exhuast, and yamaha changed TO it.

2007 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen... R1s are a hot commodity, huh? any anti-theft system suggestions?

BenSmith

Lifer

hmmm I dunno... I'm pretty sure my '08 R1 is quite rad indeed. But I can't speak about the other bikes because I haven't ridden the '08's. My buddy has an '07 ZX-10R, it's nice, but it's not my cup of tea...

can you post up what they said about the R1, I'd interested to see what they don't like about it.

Its hard to believe a lot of these magazines. Most cater to who ever is paying the most. Ive seen different results in different magazines. Ive also seen reports by people trying to race these different bikes and they are all different. The fact is they are all so close now its hard to tell the differences. All I know is the one day Ive had on the R6 this year is it puts my RC51 to shame on the track. Ya its not a liter bike but who really needs one?

James

well thats what surprised me. the people who write in give sport rider crap cause suzuki always has the best bike, but this time around it came in third...they say "the mighty has struck out"

as for the r1, they say "it benefits from an updated black box....but it isnt enough to keep the yamaha from the bottom"

they say the handly is crisp and light and all around good "in the canyons" but feedback is "less than ideal" at full lean. they also said it is weak in the midrange, especially when compared to the honda. it has a 1000rpm redline higher than the other bikes and a "very meaty top end" but getting to use that power on the street is rare (not for me its not). then they said the underseat exhaust cooks your ass and thighs in traffic. o well

BenSmith

....the prinicpal function of these articles, for 99% of us, is to try and use facts to justify what was an emotional decision after the fact. That's why writers that love the Multistrada are brilliant and those who dislike it just don't get it....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

haha, I like your thinking Dave. Riding the streets, I'd never know that the R1 feels weak in the mid range.... because I know for certain it's got plenty of balls all the way through the tach... and as far as the feedback goes in the corners, well I don't have chicken strips and it feels pretty damn solid leaned over to me... so whatever, it's emotional, they can knock it all they want, it's still the baddest bike I own

yeah same here. i dont have the 08 like you, but ive sat on newer gixxers n kawasakis and cbrs, and i just like how my r1 looks and feels. you cant rate personal preference

BenSmith

+1 Josh. I don't notice any weak midrange. At about 6K that machine starts to rape the planet that it sits on. I also like my leg cooking underseat exhaust. ha ha ha.

Matthew Crockett

All I see is GSXR......nothing else

bah, these comparo articles are worthless. it's like reading the articles in a hustler...entertaing... yes, relivent to reality...no.

any 08 liter bike is such an increadably potent machine that the differances are pointless to the average human. if you think that buying the last place R1 instead of the 1st place kawi is going to leave you dissapointed and wanting more, well...you are probably planning to set up a superstocks team. if not, you might want to look in the mirror and check for tenticals.

i'm a kawi guy so that's what i'd buy. regardless of it's rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    It doesn't hurt that it came in first though confirming what us Kawi guys already know!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    It doesn't hurt that it came in first though confirming what us Kawi guys already know!
    i was trying not to gloat

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    bah, these comparo articles are worthless. it's like reading the articles in a hustler...entertaing... yes, relivent to reality...no.

any 08 liter bike is such an increadably potent machine that the differances are pointless to the average human. if you think that buying the last place R1 instead of the 1st place kawi is going to leave you dissapointed and wanting more, well...you are probably planning to set up a superstocks team. if not, you might want to look in the mirror and check for tenticals.

+1 there's only a handful of us that can tell the difference between the four and i sure as hell am not one. they are all wonderfully over powered monsters. i have always been partial to kawi but i'd take any of them. the r1 raven is still the best looking sport bike to come out of japan.

For those with the R1's its a little depressing when you jump on a 600 and it has the same midrange as your bike, but once up top the 6 evens right out and the 1 turns into a whole new beast. it is true though that that power is just "legally" unusable on the street.

I read all those stupid articles and on top if the fact that the bikes are rated by multiple writers under different conditions these bikes are far from stock. suspension work is all done up along with engine and chassis are all improved in some way or another to get the best reviews as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by R1slowflyer View Post
    these bikes are far from stock. suspension work is all done up along with engine and chassis are all improved in some way or another to get the best reviews as possible.
    +1. Who knows who took who out to dinner or sent some cash in the tail section with the test bikes. ...and then there's the I-talian birds... YEAH BABY!!! MAKES ME RANDY!!!!

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by R1slowflyer View Post
    For those with the R1's its a little depressing when you jump on a 600 and it has the same midrange as your bike, but once up top the 6 evens right out and the 1 turns into a whole new beast. it is true though that that power is just "legally" unusable on the street.
    Get it to the race track. Youll probably be more depressed when you see what some people can do on the 600s

For me it was an eye opening experience. The new 600s are nothing to laugh at. I only have one day on mine, in the rain but I couldnt be happier with my R6 so far. Coming off my RC51 the 600 is faster and quicker. The only thing it lacks is torque down low. Its something Ill have to get used to. After this I dont know if Ill ever buy another liter bike. There is just no need.

James

Quote Originally Posted by *GhostRide37 View Post
    not that thier opinion is holy, but i get the magazine and this months they compared the 08 r1, gsxr1000, cbr1000, and zx10. i was surprised what they had to say. kawasaki ended up winning in just about every category except top speed and riding comfort. the r1 came is last in most. the finals rank was:

1. zx10
    2. cbr
    3. gsxr
    4. r1

if someone really wants to know i can most what they say in more detail, but im just wondering what people think.
    the funny thing is looks wise I would probably put them in reverse order

Quote Originally Posted by katana0215 View Post
    the funny thing is looks wise I would probably put them in reverse order
    Everyone judges the bike from the front but you should really be checking out the back of the 10R because that's the only part of it you will get to see!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Everyone judges the bike from the front but you should really be checking out the back of the 10R because that's the only part of it you will get to see!

Oh boy, here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Oh boy, here we go.
    Do you think it is a coincidence that the R1 looks the best but came in last? Every bike needs to excel at something!

they are all so close performance wise that I judge them on looks. Seriously, unless you are a ridiculously skilled rider any of them will be fine. But the tail of the ZX-10 is the only part I like, lol

The R1 is seriously lacking sack. Hopefully Yamaha will inject the YZF with a few cycles of 'roids for my 10th Anniversary R1 next model year. I wouldn't mind another ZX10 though. Afterall, I wouldn't have to look at it.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill