Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

10 injured in morotcycle pile up.

10 injured in morotcycle pile up.

http://www.katu.com/news/59789107.html

There's a pic and witness video.

WILSONVILLE, Ore. – An accident involving almost 30 motorcycles just south of Wilsonville on Interstate 5 Friday afternoon injured several people, two critically.

The crash happened at about 3 p.m. near milepost 282. LifeFlight airlifted Herbert Sinclair of Heyburn, Idaho and David Bowyer of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho to Oregon Health Sciences University and Legacy Emanuel Hospital, respectively. Both were motorcyclists.

Representatives of Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue said that it treated eight patients for shoulder and hip injuries and broken bones. They were also taken to area hospitals.

The accident closed northbound lanes of Interstate 5 for over two hours.

The motorcyclists were part of a local motorcycle club called Brothers Speed which was established in May 1969, according to its Web site. It has chapters in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, specifically in Portland, Ore. Camas, Wash., and Boise, Idaho.

Oregon State Police said the motorcyclists were riding in standard formation – two columns – when traffic ahead slowed suddenly. The two lead motorcyclists were able to avoid a collision by maneuvering clear of the stopped traffic, but the rest of the motorcyclists could not stop in time, causing a chain-reaction of crashes with the rest of the group.

A witness to the crash, Terry Scott, said he and his girlfriend were driving northbound from Salem behind the motorcycles when he witnessed an SUV, that was driving in front of the group of motorcycles, suddenly slow down or slam on its brakes.

“It was a domino effect,” Scott said. “There were bikes and people and gear flying.”

When Capt. Mike Towner of Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue arrived on the scene with his crew from Wilsonville he said "it was ordered mayhem. There were almost two dozen motorcycles scattered across the freeway, and firefighters from Aurora and Canby providing medical care to injured bikers, as non-injured bikers tried to assist."

TVF&R said there were at least two SUVs that were also involved in the crash.

A club insider, who didn’t want to be identified, said the bikers were in town from all over the Northwest to celebrate an annual birthday celebration of the club. She said that a motorcycle accident like the one that happened Friday is unheard of.

“Normally it’s one motorcycle, maybe two,” she said. “To see the scale of 20 to 30 bikes that are riding together have an accident of that magnitude – I’ve never seen before.”

She said she grew up around these bikers and said despite perceptions, they’re cautious.

“I know some people say they must be up to no good: They were racing or doing something. But anyone who’s familiar with Harley-riding knows you don’t race a Harley, you don’t do tricks on your Harley. You just ride,” she said.

Members of the club declined to be interviewed for this story. They said they are focusing on taking care of their brothers.

Oregon State Police are continuing to investigate the accident.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's wrong with fucking clowns? I lost my virginity to a clown! - jnm988

We...we really try and discourage people from self help.
    - Martha Coakley

Re: 10 injured in morotcycle pile up.

I have been on that road... its a clusterfuck.... worse than 128 or 93 in Boston

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

“I know some people say they must be up to no good: They were racing or doing something. But anyone who’s familiar with Harley-riding knows you don’t race a Harley, you don’t do tricks on your Harley. You just ride,” she said.
    That pretty much says it all.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Pretty awful..

...whenever I see large groups like that...doing 70 mph according to the witness...riding in a side by side formation... I shudder. And this is why.

Further more...even if they had been riding 'staggered'...if they hadn't allowed a good 3 seconds between themselves, the result may have been similar.

Formation riding may look cool, but at speed I want every bit of lane available and plenty of space between me and everyone else...

None the less...an awful story and I don't believe this group was looking for trouble. Just out for a ride....shit.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Pretty awful..

...whenever I see large groups like that...doing 70 mph according to the witness...riding in a side by side formation... I shudder. And this is why.

Further more...even if they had been riding 'staggered'...if they hadn't allowed a good 3 seconds between themselves, the result may have been similar.

Formation riding may look cool, but at speed I want every bit of lane available and plenty of space between me and everyone else...

None the less...an awful story and I don't believe this group was looking for trouble. Just out for a ride....shit.
    i agree 100% .... drives me nuts seeing people ride side by side...esp. cops...they should know better....people watch too much tv and don't realize those bikes are on the back of a trailer lol

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

That's awesome that nobody got killed. Could have been a real tragedy and instead turned into an excellent learning opportunity/warning to others.

I'm surprised this does not happen to those big formations all the time.

Hell, it happened on one of our rides a few years back. 143 southbound in Chesterfield. Over a rise and the leader slowed to take a right. Riders in back were on the gas over the rise. A few bikes off road, but tragedy narrowly averted.

Paul_E_D

So an SUV can stop shorter than a motorcycle? Not my bikes...

if you're taligating, sightseeing or simply not focused it can...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    So an SUV can stop shorter than a motorcycle? Not my bikes...

maybe, but using the front brake on a harley is dangerous

edit: also @ the on-the-scene reporter's name being Calkstein

Last edited by spicy; 09-21-09 at 08:42 AM.

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Using th front brake on a harley is dangerous??? LOL hey red, CHiPS officers do ride side by side, that's why lane sharing laws came to be in CA (lane splittings official name)

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Using th front brake on a harley is dangerous??? LOL hey red, CHiPS officers do ride side by side, that's why lane sharing laws came to be in CA (lane splittings official name)
    Lane sharing, official name. Lane splitting is illegal.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Using th front brake on a harley is dangerous???
    ya, you havent seen this yet

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Love my linked ABS

Two things help getting older - BMW'S and Metamucil

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    Lane sharing, official name. Lane splitting is illegal.

That's what I said. I meant that lane sharing is lane splitting's official name.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    That's awesome that nobody got killed. Could have been a real tragedy and instead turned into an excellent learning opportunity/warning to others.

I'm surprised this does not happen to those big formations all the time.
    The fact is, loud pipes saved their lives.

Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Nor did they use all the power..

Hey, a bike as long as a Harley with sufficient effort on the lever and dual disks is likely able to stop in a shorter distance than a lot of short-wheelbased sportbikes if for no other reason that the Hardley Ableson doesn't have to worry about stoppies.

Lifer

Problem is lots of guys like to take the 2nd disk off their Harleys, or they go have someone who doesn't know what they're doing rake out the front end without paying any attention to getting the geometry right.

Just cause they may brake OK from the factory doesn't necessarily mean they all brake OK.

Last time I rode one (3 years ago?) I was pretty shocked at how bad it was.. they may brake OK in the hands of an expert but that braking performance is nowhere near as accessible as it is on most types of bikes. The one I rode locked up the rear like a hair trigger and caused the front end to wobble when the front brake was applied with force.

But I doubt any of this had to do with the capabilities of the bikes.. more likely not paying attention, following too closely, not being staggered, and that false confidence people get cause they "just ride harleys and don't do tricks".

Quote Originally Posted by benVFR View Post
    But I doubt any of this had to do with the capabilities of the bikes.. more likely not paying attention, following too closely, not being staggered, and that false confidence people get cause they "just ride harleys and don't do tricks".
    yeap - people who don't speed still get in accidents in cars. Just cause ya don't wheelie doesn't mean you'll never crash

2012 Tiger 800 XC