Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

So much for Live Free

Didn't realize people were killing themselves at a record rate to need this type of legislation, in NH no less. I guess people really are afraid of their own shadows now, I mean the horror of someone doing 70 on Rt. 89 or Rt 101

If you think this is retarded contact your reps before it goes through the house too, though it's not like any of those MA transplants really give a shit what you think.

http://www.eagletribune.com/latestne...eeding-100-mph

New Hampshire lawmakers are prepared to take extreme steps to stop extreme speeders.

The Senate passed a bill yesterday that makes speeding 100 mph or more an act of reckless driving that could result in jail time.

Senate Bill 246 passed on a voice vote and now moves to the House.

The bill upgrades the offense from a simple violation under state law to an unspecified misdemeanor. That would give a prosecutor discretion to seek jail time of up to a year.

It provides for a minimum fine of $500 and loss of license for 60 days for first offense. A second offense would result in a fine of at least $750 and the driver would lose his license for 60 days to one year.

The bill would take effect 60 days after passage.

“This bill protects our citizens from others that endanger the public,” said Rep. Brian Chirichiello, R-Derry, a House co-sponsor of the bill. “We have seen stories of people speeding excessively over the last few years with no penalty other than fines.”

Sen. Peggy Gilmour, D-Hollis, the prime sponsor, said she introduced the bill at the state Department of Safety’s request.

“Driving at these speeds is irresponsible and reckless behavior,” Gilmour said. “This is an important safety measure and this bill establishes a stronger penalty to ensure the message is sent loud and clear.”

Last year, N.H. state police said they are seeing more cases of extreme speeding, with at least one person a month stopped for driving 120 mph to 130 mph. They said they are stopping one person a day who is driving 90 mph to 100 mph.

One day alone last May, police stopped three drivers exceeding 100 mph on state highways.

“Gov. Hassan supports efforts to improve the safety of our roadways by addressing excessive speeding and appreciates the focus on the issue by the members of the Senate,” said her communications director, Marc Goldberg. “She will review any final legislation as it reaches her desk, but she is likely to sign the measure.”

Meanwhile, the House on Wednesday rejected two bills that would have increased the speed limit on sections of Interstate 89 and Route 101.

House Bills 1184 and 1185 would have raised the speed limit to 70 mph and set the minimum speed at 50 mph.

The House voted to kill HB 1184, affecting Route 101, on a 205-90 vote. The House voted to kill HB 1185, affecting I-89, on a 199-119 vote.

The Legislature last year voted to boost the speed limit to 70 mph on I-93 from Canterbury to the Vermont border. Some lawmakers admitted they wanted to see how that works first, before raising the speed on other highways.

“We’ve had a couple of good days,” said New Hampshire Highway Safety Agency coordinator Peter Thomson.

Thomson also counted as a victory this week’s House passage of HB 1360, a bill banning drivers from holding cellphones.

“I’m very pleased with the fact we’re not going to have to go on 101 and 89 at 70 mph,” Thomson said. “It’s the right thing to keep it at 65 mph.”

Thomson praised New Hampshire State Police Lt. Matt Shapiro’s work in helping to get the cellphone bill, aimed at curbing distracted driving, through the House.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

You dont go 100mph by accident. You do it on purpose. Dont want to go to jail? Dont do 100mph on public streets.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    You dont go 100mph by accident. You do it on purpose. Dont want to go to jail? Dont do 100mph on public streets.

Yeah, except there are plenty of times where the roads are open enough and there isn't a traffic concern to make it even remotely dangerous, even around here.

They also bitched about raising the speed limit on stretches of roads by 5mph. Roads that routinely see higher speeds than the proposed limit. Run from MHT to PSM and you move at 80+ pretty consistently.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 03-08-14 at 11:03 AM.

I make it a fucking point to hit 100 every single time I swing a leg over...

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This is one area it is better to be in Massachusetts for. I've been stopped doing 40 over in NH and it was a pain in the ass (mandatory court etc), I've been stopped in Massachusetts for 40 over and the guy wrote me a ticket and I paid it, very simple and easy. (both times in cars at like 1 am in the morning)

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I make it a fucking point to hit 100 every single time I swing a leg over...
    I hear ya John. There goes my commute.

Banned

Hah. Be prepared if this goes through.
    Drive at more than 80 an they will just say you were doing 100+

Everyone needs dashcam and GPS breadcrumming apps folks.

Track yourself and video/audio record EVERY LEO interaction.

If they are a good guy, they won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

I think leos will continue to have good sense and give warnings when appropriate

iirc, you were on the ride when we heard this "alright boys, I know your dressed for it, but this is not a race track. I got you guys doing 85 in a 30 when you went out of range of my radar, and I know you were going a hell of a lot faster than that"

on the other hand, 100+ in traffic, and you deserve what you get

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict

Yeah, except there are plenty of times where the roads are open enough and there isn't a traffic concern to make it even remotely dangerous, even around here.

They also bitched about raising the speed limit on stretches of roads by 5mph. Roads that routinely see higher speeds than the proposed limit. Run from MHT to PSM and you move at 80+ pretty consistently.
    Ya, because even when the roads are wide open there is no possible chance of a deer jumping out of the woods. Hell even a porcupine or raccoon would really ruin your day at that speed.
    richies right, 100 is something you do on purpose.
    Generally 15 over is my max. 10 over is SOP. Set the cruise and go.
    luckily on the highway on the motard 70 is all I really want to do.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

nothing new...I know someone traveling for business in GA that got bagged for 100+ on the freeway...ended up in jail, and I had to hire a bondsman to get 'em out

I'm with Ritchie - you do 100+ on purpose...don't do it (even though we all have done it)

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

In CT

20 Over is alleged mandatory suspension

Sheeple elect more lawyers and democrats you will get MORE

My local first selectman (woman) who has become left of Che actually tried to get town wide 25 MPH including
    2 state highways

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

It's just a revenue scam that has nothing to do with public safety.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post

Im sorry, I agree 95% of speed limits are revenue grabs, but if you think doing over 100mph on public roads is not a safety issue (whether thats why theyre actually doing it or not), you're an idiot.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Ya, because even when the roads are wide open there is no possible chance of a deer jumping out of the woods. Hell even a porcupine or raccoon would really ruin your day at that speed.
    Yeah, but who cares if the guy going 100mph gets killed when he hits a deer? It's his own fault like a heroin addict ODing or a smoker dying of lung cancer or a fat guy getting diabetes. But if that guy going 100 takes out a family of 5 going the speed limit that's another story.

Lifer

70 is already the de-facto limit on 101 between Hampton and Manch. I routinely hussle past LEOs with the cruise locked in @ 70 and do not get so much as a second glance.

"They said they are stopping one person a day who is driving 90 mph to 100 mph."

Sounds like this law is a recipe for filling up jails in a big hurry.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-08-14 at 07:51 PM. Reason: English, I speak it..

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Well, that would be between the operator and the deer.

This. Distracted driving is an order of magnitude more dangerous than people running 100mph. I will say there is a time and a place. My issue is that your average joe blow safety ossifer is going to go all postal on you for essentially doing nothing dangerous because that's how they were conditioned.

Im sorry, I agree 95% of speed limits are revenue grabs, but if you think doing over 100mph on public roads is not a safety issue (whether thats why theyre actually doing it or not), you're an idiot.
    Quit being a pussy. 100mph is nothing in the right situation, even in a freaking car. Most modern European cars are just hitting their stride there and the roads are easily capable of it. Again, time and a place. 100 swerving in and out traffic like a maniac is vastly different than cruising along with no one around. I know it's not around here, but try going the speed limit between Dallas and El Paso and see if you're tune changes. You can easily hammer down on that route and it's perfectly safe (yet it's a public road).

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    Yeah, but who cares if the guy going 100mph gets killed when he hits a deer? It's his own fault like a heroin addict ODing or a smoker dying of lung cancer or a fat guy getting diabetes. But if that guy going 100 takes out a family of 5 going the speed limit that's another story.
    Amen.

Last edited by e30addict; 03-08-14 at 04:47 PM.

I do 80 mph by staties almost daily and they don't care. I don't think traveling at 100 mph is considerably more dangerous to the point were 20 mph gets you either nothing or jail time. Look at the autobahn, of course road construction is a huge factor I don't think it should be a prison sentence to drive 100mph in a 70 mph zone in NH. (except for exit 20)

I do 80 mph by staties almost daily and they don't care. I don't think traveling at 100 mph is considerably more dangerous to the point were 20 mph gets you either nothing or jail time. Look at the autobahn, of course road construction is a huge factor I don't think it should be a prison sentence to drive 100mph in a 70 mph zone in NH. (except for exit 20)

The interstate system was designed for higher than typically posted speeds using cars vastly inferior to what we have today. This is sold under the guise of safety, and like most bills lately, it really has nothing to do with that.

What really gets me isn't the 100mph bill though (even though that kinda sucks). You almost expect sheeple to panic when they hear 100 mph (OMG superkilly evil speed!), so it's not surprising. What really gets me is the comments around bumping the speed limit to 70. Really people? Afraid of your own shadow much? EVERYONE does it anyway, all your changing is revenue reduction for the state and insurance companies with those bills. The shift in the mindset of the NH populace is what concerns me more.

Last edited by e30addict; 03-08-14 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I know it's not around here, but try going the speed limit between Dallas and El Paso and see if you're tune changes. You can easily hammer down on that route and it's perfectly safe (yet it's a public road).
    Oh, like the road 2 miles from my house that has an 80 mph speed limit? Yeah, I wouldnt know anything about that.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Oh, like the road 2 miles from my house that has an 80 mph speed limit? Yeah, I wouldnt know anything about that.
    Right, that's why I specifically mentioned TX

How would running 100 there be any different than folks running 80 in 65? It's not the speed that gets people in trouble, it's the speed differentials that start to get unsafe. The heavier the traffic, the smaller that differential needs to be.

The shift in the mindset of the NH populace is what concerns me more.
    Shift? It started a long time ago.

Shift? It started a long time ago.

Well it's either accelerated recently or I'm juts paying more attention now

Lifer

NH'rites have never really supported increasing speed limits. The public at large has almost always bought the premise that lower limits => safer. My town is predominantly 25MPH once you get anywhere near the down-town area. It's really fuckin' annoying. Safest place on earth, theoretically.

Right, that's why I specifically mentioned TX

How would running 100 there be any different than folks running 80 in 65? It's not the speed that gets people in trouble, it's the speed differentials that start to get unsafe. The heavier the traffic, the smaller that differential needs to be.
    It's because people in Texas and Mass know better than us backwood hillbillies how to run our state.

And let's not forget, every person posting in this thread would have spent time in jail at least once in their life if this were law. I don't quite understand the zero tolerance mentality these days. Talk about hypocrites. Everyone does dumb things, but that doesn't mean they automatically deserve prison time if nobody was even remotely harmed or at risk of harm. Context is key.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

More bullshit. I'll bring it up to the FSP peeps, and see what we can do. Hopefully we can kill it in the House.

Nothing magical happens at 100mph; this is just fearmongering and control.
    And revenue generation. This is a real, and longstanding, problem in NH. One of the consequences of a low-tax state is that those who desire more power and control will always be seeking ways to fund that.
    I worked in MA all last year, and I noticed that myself; driving in NH is more tense because they are more predatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

I have exactly zero doubt this will happen. Right now, there is a division where this happens; the fine doubles when you are 20 over the limit, and in practice just about anything over 15 over gets "rounded" up and cited as 20 over.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 03-08-14 at 07:50 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast