Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I generally base my speed on the posted limit. Usually 10 over. That means that I do 75 on 101. If they raise it to 70 then id be doing 80. I feel most people would do the same.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Re: Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I generally base my speed on the posted limit. Usually 10 over. That means that I do 75 on 101. If they raise it to 70 then id be doing 80. I feel most people would do the same.
    We've been over this. That has not proven to be true when it comes to the public. YOU might do that, but the average person will not. Let's face it, most of us here have a comfort level much greater than average and we realize we're only using a fraction of the ultimate performance of the vehicle that is truly available to us. Our viewpoint is more about how much is this going to cost me vs. someone who thinks braking at 50% is an emergency stop or a cornering level more than 10% of the available grip is "racing".....

Apply what you see with newbies at a trackday and realize those are the more performance oriented people out there. The rest of the public thinks VERY differently from how we do. Gear heads are an extremely small subset of the motoring public.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 03-15-14 at 03:48 PM.

Different class licenses

Different class vehicles

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Sure about that?

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

I also found this fairly interesting regarding different speed limits for heavy trucks:
    exactly, the section of 93 where the speed limit is 70 has never been upgraded, it's still just 2 lanes in each direction same lane width, same shoulders, same bridges since it was originally built

no upgrade to 3 lane, no new bridges etc. upgraded highways that have seen more traffic and added lanes and lane width have a higher design speed

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    exactly, the section of 93 where the speed limit is 70 has never been upgraded, it's still just 2 lanes in each direction same lane width, same shoulders, same bridges since it was originally built

no upgrade to 3 lane, no new bridges etc. upgraded highways that have seen more traffic and added lanes and lane width have a higher design speed
    And no upgrade to vehicles, oh wait that's not quite right is it. You glaze over the fact that vehicles are much much different than they were fifty years ago. You keep taking about the design of a road but since you know you are wrong fail to address the vehicles the roads were designed for compared to the vehicles of today. Because you know you are wrong!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

not everybody drives a brand new ore even late model vehicle, you share the road not doubt any modern car can travel safely at higher speeds, that does not change the design speed of the road, even in areas where the speed limit is below 70, the road is still probably designed to handle 70mph, but heavier traffic during peak periods dictates the speed limit lower than design speed
    remember also, the biggest part of the equasion, human reflexes, reaction times depth perception, old people, inexperienced young people and everything else that is different about the people that are operating the vehicles, has not changed, distractions whether it be a cell phone in your ear or arm reaching for the am radio tuning knob, these are all factors in why you may think it's safe, but in reality its not up to the accepted safety level

not saying I agree with all the nannystate theology that embedded in society cause I'm an anarchist at heart, its only illegal if you get caught and I'm more apt to be seen going 100 in one of my local dirt roads than I am on the highway

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

It's NESR, discussion has gone full retard

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

If the limit were increased to 70 on 101.. I'd still go 70. I've found that my car gets noticeably better gas mileage at 70 than it does at 75 or 80. 70 is the sweet spot balance between speed, mileage, and LEO acceptability for my tastes. YMMV. Fortunately I don't drive like Degs and you're more than likely to find passing room on my left. Have at it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    If the limit were increased to 70 on 101.. I'd still go 70. I've found that my car gets noticeably better gas mileage at 70 than it does at 75 or 80. 70 is the sweet spot balance between speed, mileage, and LEO acceptability for my tastes. YMMV. Fortunately I don't drive like Degs and you're more than likely to find passing room on my left. Have at it.
    i never, EVER drive in the left lane.

Lifer

Even on a 2 lane like NH-101?

not everybody drives a brand new ore even late model vehicle, you share the road not doubt any modern car can travel safely at higher speeds, that does not change the design speed of the road

It absolutely does by definition, they were designed for the vehicles of the time 50 years ago and were still designed for 70 mph travel. Keep in mind we are talking speed LIMITS not minimums, nobody said you have to drive 70 in a 70, if your vehicle is safe and capable and conditions allow go for it. I don't know about you but I'll do 80 in my 01 camry anyday over your average family car of the fifties.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

in the highway, I pretty much stick to the right hand lane, except to pass or allow merging on ramp traffic, it was the way I wa staught to drive, however on my bike when I am maintaining a pace, and I am on a highway that has 4 lanes of traffic, I usually travel in the next to the left most lane leaving me room to pass on left to overtake, on big multi lane stuff, I try staying out of the center lanes as much at possible, so if I have to exit, then I just travel in right lane

in a 4 wheeled vehicle not towing anything I am usually comfortable up to 75 mph, 80mph is beginning to get beyond my comfort range even in light traffic, and I don't mind only going 65 if that is prevailing traffic. On my bike I am comfortable up to 90 or faster, depending on tires (running knobbies, things can get sketchy) but I am good at maintaining pace so speeds don't creep up on my, I set myself and go much like cruise control, the cramp buster is great, like a gas pedal for your hand 99% of my motorcycle on the highway miles are IBA rides, other than that I avoid highways like the plague, I hate it that in NH to cross the Merrimack that I have to go thru a downtown city or get on a highway

RandyO
    IBA#9560

In order to make Ken Condon have a headache I always ride at least 5 mph faster (usually 10) then the prevailing traffic

The last thing you need is a distracted driver running up your ass.

While on the subject we have the classic thread the needle and gear down before a pass. Make the pass as short a time as your bike
    can manage

I have yet to do this but would take the time to explain this all to a judge, not that it would stop them from their real job
    of fleecing the public

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

There's a formula for how fast I ride on the highway its A: how much of a rush I am in to Get somewhere over B. How afraid I am off blowing up the engine on my sumo. B is generally a constant.

Driving on the highways down south, the speed limits get higher and the drivers typically go about 10mph over, even the tractor trailers. I was pretty much just following them for police and gas mileage reasons.

Also, I had heard somewhere that speed limits were lowered back during the gas crisis days to force people to get better gas mileage. Not sure how true that is, but that's supposedly when they lowered highway speeds to 50/55.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Lifer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...imum_Speed_Law
    As an emergency response to the 1973 oil crisis, on November 26, 1973, President Richard Nixon proposed a national 50 mph (80 km/h) speed limit for passenger vehicles and a 55 mph speed limit for trucks and buses...

Lifer

Oh.. and the hook:
    ...States had to agree to the limit if they desired to receive federal funding for highway repair...
    The federal government used tax payer money to extort cooperation from state and local governments. Same as the helmet law. Bunch of BS that the courts should have put a stop to. Powers not delegated are reserved!!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh.. and the hook:

The federal government used tax payer money to extort cooperation from state and local governments. Same as the helmet law. Bunch of BS that the courts should have put a stop to. Powers not delegated are reserved!!!
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Go make your laws else where and get the FUCK out of our state. You spineless worms hide behind the safety curtain of public opinion that you are after public safety but your only AGENDA is to pass laws to create funding for you own prowess. Just stop and go to California you'll have much better luck and less opposition. If you are uncomfortable with how things are im this great state move elsewhere. Don't bring your shit and selfish ambitions with you and ruin NH.

Last edited by Dave603; 03-17-14 at 09:28 AM.

speed limits always make me think of this...

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

<thread hijack>

"We need a jackrabbit!"

<\thread hijack>

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Oh.. and the hook:

as it turns out, the threat has no enforce-ability, the same threat is what prompted every state except New Hampshire to pass a seat belt law

I remember 55mph, I also remember the wage & price freeze, I remember gas lines, I remember odd/even days you were allowed to fill up, limits on the amount you could purchase 80 cents a gallon might not seem like much, but it nearly tripled in price from 31 cents in just a few weeks. minimum wage was under $2 and I felt like a king making $3.50/hr

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

as it turns out, the threat has no enforce-ability, the same threat is what prompted every state except New Hampshire to pass a seat belt law
    I heard otherwise. I don't remember those days. Fortunately the interwebs do:

http://web.archive.org/web/201011061...9/sg890328.txt

On July 1, 1986, the Nevada Department of Transportation
    established a speed limit of 70 mph on a 3-mile section of Interstate
    80. Pet. App. 45a-46a. The Federal Highway Administration
    immediately informed the State that it was withholding approval of
    federal funds for a designated highway project that had previously
    been submitted for approval, and that it would be unable to approve
    funds for other projects until the State resumed compliance with
    federal law.
    The Nevada statute then expired by its own terms, and
    the 55 mph speed limit was restored. Pet. App. 46a.
    I know that the seat belt and mandatory helmet laws were the result of the same kind of extortion. I was of that understanding that was why NH had helmet and seatbelt laws for minors; that was the the requirement to get federal funding. IIRC NH's mandatory helmet law became null and void the day the law behind the national limit was repealed (in '95).

TITLE XXI - MOTOR VEHICLES
    CHAPTER 265 - RULES OF THE ROAD

265:122 Protective Headgear. –

III. If federal law is altered so that the mandatory wearing of protective headgear on motorcycles by persons less than 18 years of age is not required as a condition to the receipt by the state of any federal funds, paragraphs I and II shall be void.

Fuckin' love this state somedays!