Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

Lifer

Re: Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I worked in MA all last year, and I noticed that myself; driving in NH is more tense because they are more predatory.
    I think you're nuts. That traffic density alone makes driving less tense in NH, IMO.
    I also think you guys have an excessively negative opinion of NH LEOs. It is unjustified, methinks.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Right, that's why I specifically mentioned TX

How would running 100 there be any different than folks running 80 in 65? It's not the speed that gets people in trouble, it's the speed differentials that start to get unsafe. The heavier the traffic, the smaller that differential needs to be.
    its different because 80mph is 117 feet per second and 100mph is 147 feet per second

its different because most cars still handle well at 80mph

but fewer handle well at 100mph

and remember, your still sharing the road with a few vehicles that may have a top speed of 55 or grannies that only drive 55

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Damn.

99 mph just isn't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    its different because 80mph is 117 feet per second and 100mph is 147 feet per second

and remember, your still sharing the road with a few vehicles that may have a top speed of 55 or grannies that only drive 55
    If you have a vehicle with a top speed of 55 and/or the lack of skill to operate a vehicle above that speed you shouldn't be driving on a highway at all. How many vehicles handle well at 80 but are dangerous at 100?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I also think you guys have an excessively negative opinion of NH LEOs. It is unjustified, methinks.
    I dunno. I Get pulled over ALOT on the motard(mostly because they don't know its street legal) a bunch of times Ive even been caught doing stupid shit and I can honestly say most cops up here are pretty nice. A bunch of them even ride. Id say only 1 in 10 are assholes..mabe even less.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Everyone does dumb things, but that doesn't mean they automatically deserve prison time if nobody was even remotely harmed or at risk of harm. Context is key.
    The problem is no one ever knows WHEN there was a risk of harm. You might drive cross country and never see a single car, until 2 miles from your destination and someone pulls a left turn in front of you. YOu might be in the most abandoned part of NH, doing 100 having some fun, and some asshole in a minivan pulls out of a rest stop in front of you.
    And is 100 "less safe" than 99? Of course not, but there needs to be a line somewhere. Like it or not, the move to 3 digits is cleaner than 96 to 97 or whatever you want to claim.

Honestly, will this change people doing 100+? Probably not, some people will still do it, we all know risks, we all exceed them sometimes, and people still will. But then again, maybe itll change a couple asshats minds.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

Again, time and place though. Equipment varies as well. Plenty of cars now are capable of cruising at 100. Most of the drivers might not be when the SHTF though. I'm not saying the limit should be 100 either. I'm saying it's stupid for locking your ass up because you did. Kinda like the death penalty for stealing a candy bar.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    How many vehicles handle well at 80 but are dangerous at 100?

My Civic would be pushing it at 100, but I know where you're coming from

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Last edited by yucatan; 03-09-14 at 07:01 AM.
    Current: Looking.
    Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin, 2008 WR250X, 2012 FZ1, 2017 KTM SD-GT

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by repete513 View Post
    Id say only 1 in 10 are assholes..mabe even less.
    That was/is my point. The asshole ratio is far higher than 1:10 in the general population. So LEOs aren't doing that bad, actually.

I was pulled over doing 125 at 2 AM following my senior prom buy a guy who is now the chief of police in the next town over. He didn't even run my license, just verified that I was sober and gave me hell for being a fucktard. That's how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Again, time and place though. Equipment varies as well. Plenty of cars now are capable of cruising at 100. Most of the drivers might not be when the SHTF though. I'm not saying the limit should be 100 either. I'm saying it's stupid for locking your ass up because you did. Kinda like the death penalty for stealing a candy bar.

My Civic would be pushing it at 100, but I know where you're coming from
    Now if we are talking about public safety why are tractor trailers allowed to go 70? Clearly the simple physics behind a vehicle of that weight traveling at 70 mph would be far more dangerous than any modern car traveling at 100 mph, not only to the drivers but also to other vehicles correct? It's revenue peeps, oh and a bus full of school children is perfectly safe ar70 but a car at 100 deserves the operator a jail sentence? Revenue pure and simple

It's really for the children Greg.

Lifer

Why is the speed limit for a 80,000 lbs 18 wheeler the same as it is for a 300 lbs motorcycle again?

Like Greg said, dolla dolla bill yo.

You're kidding right? The Reckless Driving statute in CT is set at anything over 85mph on a divided highway. 100+mph would be a blessing.

And it is a misdemeanor here, with fines and up to a year in jail, mandatory court appearance, etc.

But, here, like everywhere else, it is up to the individual officer as to how they charge the driver, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Again View Post
    You're kidding right? The Reckless Driving statute in CT is set at anything over 85mph on a divided highway. 100+mph would be a blessing.

And it is a misdemeanor here, with fines and up to a year in jail, mandatory court appearance, etc.

But, here, like everywhere else, it is up to the individual officer as to how they charge the driver, if at all.
    Well, part of why a lot of us live in NH and not in CT is that NH is more free, has less government. So the point is that regardless of whatever injustices other people in other states put up with, it still shouldn't be happening here.

PhilB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I traveled from Phoenix to CA on several occasions. The speed limit was 80. I cruised at 100+. Totally different than driving on 101 at that speed. You could see for miles, and not just on the road but left and right as well so there was 0 chance of anything surprising you.
    Theres a formula that is used to determine a posted speed limit. Its not just some random number pulled out of some bureaucrats ass.
    comparing the speed limits from europe to here is just plain stupid and ignorant . Theres no comparison. Driver training is better, driving is taken far more seriously there and roads are designed for driving on at much higher rates of speed.
    the speed limit is 65 so doing 10 over is 75. Raise the speed limit and you raise what speed people will think acceptable. If you traditionally drive 80 on these roads marked at 65, if they raise the limit to 75 would you continue to drive 80?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)
    the speed limit is 65 so doing 10 over is 75. Raise the speed limit and you raise what speed people will think acceptable. If you traditionally drive 80 on these roads marked at 65, if they raise the limit to 75 would you continue to drive 80?
    Some studies were done about this type of thing and the answer is yes most would continue to drive at the speed they drove at before.

I believe the study was that regardless of whether an artificially low speed limit was posted or no speed limit at all was posted the traffic would maintain roughly the same speed. People tend to drive to a comfortable speed for the conditions they are experiencing regardless of what is posted.

I see it everyday on the way to work on rt 95. I do a steady 75 mph and I will pass people on uphill grades where sight lines are limited over the top of the hill but when the sight lines open up again they come flying by me only to be repassed at the next uphill or corner where their sight line is limited. The speed limit never changes in any of these spots but the comfort level of the zombies driving to work does.

I'm sure you have experienced this, driving along with the flow of traffic and all of a sudden everyone around you drops 10-15mph and a short period of time later they are back to the higher speed. Next time it happens figure out why. Typically it will be a change in surroundings on the road. A curve, a hill, the trees on the side of the highway get closer to the road or further away.

Sorry, a little off topic there. Back on topic, going to jail for speeding is a little crazy and over the top. If you want to deter people from doing it make the fines ridiculous and loss of license penalties along with the fine. Jail just costs the general taxpayer money to house this person and for what a heavy right foot? Get a huge fine and lose your license for a year and I bet you slow down a little when you can finally drive again.

Joel

^ This.

Some of you really should research the 85th percentile speed studies. It really clears up a lot of misconceptions regarding driver behavior regarding posted limits, both low and high.

Speed limits in the U.S. are absolutely pulled out of some bureaucrats ass.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 03-09-14 at 12:19 AM.

So existing sanctions did not deter some people but this will?
    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    nothing new...I know someone traveling for business in GA that got bagged for 100+ on the freeway...ended up in jail, and I had to hire a bondsman to get 'em out
    An Army buddy in a 911 got stopped for 114 in a 70 in Kentucky. It was 114 because that's as fast as the cruiser would go. Fine was $65, plus $12 court costs.

Now he lives in CT, where they probably castrate you.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-09-14 at 05:15 AM.

Some of you are just paranoid about police....
    Why the hate, yes some are mean, some are by the book, welcome to life, they are people and everyone is different but to say over and over they stop you for revenue purposes... Don't give them the reason to stop you. They don't win a toaster oven for handing out more tickets than the next guy, their pay doesn't reflect tickets written, go easy
    The only thing that stops someone from driving at break neck speeds all the time is the fear of getting in trouble, that sign on the side of the highway doesn't do it so that's why there are penalties
    As for the revenue issue, a summons to court costs the state money while a simple infraction with a guilty plea and payment does generate some cash for the state

Correct me if I'm wrong 388 but I haven't read anything that could be considered as hating police officers, the issue is the legislation not the people enforcing it.

Shift? It started a long time ago.
    The bill's sponsor is in fact a Mass transplant, as of 1973.

Lifer

Right here Greg. This is an example of "hating on the police". The premise is that NH LEOs are all jackbooted thugs itching to abuse their power and inflate infractions in order to arrest more people. The idea that "anything over" whatever gets "rounded up" is completely contrary to my experience in road-side interactions with NH LEOs, both local and state. It is, in my experience, far more typical for the speed to be adjusted down.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I have exactly zero doubt this will happen. Right now, there is a division where this happens; the fine doubles when you are 20 over the limit, and in practice just about anything over 15 over gets "rounded" up and cited as 20 over.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I believe the study was that regardless of whether an artificially low speed limit was posted or no speed limit at all was posted the traffic would maintain roughly the same speed. People tend to drive to a comfortable speed for the conditions they are experiencing regardless of what is posted.
    +1, 100%. My father is a highway engineer. He got his start with the state of NH back in the early 70's and finished his career working as a consultant specializing in designing intersections for smaller municipalities in MA. He also cites how close obstacles are from the roadway. In an open section of Interstate, traffic will move right along. Come to a bridge with k-rails 2' off the travel way on both sides and traffic will slow down. Add to that effect that drivers cannot see over the crown of the bridge, as you cite. Those things effect what people are willing to do far more than what the sign on the side of the road says.

My (least) favorite example of this is the bridge on Spaulding Turnpike going from Newington to Dover Point NH. Also complicating things is the North bound lane has a nice S-curve just before the bridge. Notice that the redesign they are implementing now eliminates the bends and widens the bridge.

Another great example is Rt 3 from 128 to the NH border back in the 2000's. It used to be there were trees in the median and very close on the sides of that road. It felt claustrophobic and traffic was effected. Limit was 55 and 60-65 felt really fast. Now they've cut the trees, added a lane, and widened the shoulders substantially.. yet kept the limit at 55. Drive that road someday and tell me how many are going 55.

Very, very few drivers on my commute obey the speed limit all the time.

Revenue generation coupled with lawmakers and bureaucrats that associate lower limits with safety.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-09-14 at 07:12 AM.

If you have a vehicle with a top speed of 55 and/or the lack of skill to operate a vehicle above that speed you shouldn't be driving on a highway at all. How many vehicles handle well at 80 but are dangerous at 100?

Think more of trucks & vans that you share the road with that transport goods across the country , or even a military convoy for whom the highways were built for

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON