Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

Lifer

Re: Go 100 MPH go to Jail?

Which brings me back to my point: Why is the posted limit the same regardless of what you're driving? We all know they aren't enforced the same. Why not let the limits reflect reality?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Which brings me back to my point: Why is the posted limit the same regardless of what you're driving? We all know they aren't enforced the same. Why not let the limits reflect reality?
    lowest common denominator

all vehicles and drive slower safely, not all vehicles can drive fast safely

at least we no longer have stop signs on the ramps onto the Spaulding, not all vehicles can go 0-50 in 3 seconds

and remember the railroad crossing on the Spaulding in Rochester, school buses and trucks hauling flammables had to come to a complete stop

one must also remember our legislators in NH are volunteers unless you call a $100/year stipend and mileage to Concord a paid position

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    its different because 80mph is 117 feet per second and 100mph is 147 feet per second

its different because most cars still handle well at 80mph

but fewer handle well at 100mph

and remember, your still sharing the road with a few vehicles that may have a top speed of 55 or grannies that only drive 55
    Think more of trucks & vans that you share the road with that transport goods across the country , or even a military convoy for whom the highways were built for
    OK then why is it OK for trucks and vans to travel at 70 but not OK for a car to go 100? You get what I'm saying right? If a convoy of military vehicles is safe at 70 why is a Porsche killing baby seals at 100?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

closing speed?

my thought, some asshat will do 100, while texting and turning around yelling at their kids.

Last edited by timmyho414; 03-09-14 at 08:42 AM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    OK then why is it OK for trucks and vans to travel at 70 but not OK for a car to go 100? You get what I'm saying right? If a convoy of military vehicles is safe at 70 why is a Porsche killing baby seals at 100?

it would be ok if they had a separate road

speed differential is a big deal when it comes to safety,

and I doubt you'll see the military convoy going 70, closer to 45mph, and that IS who the highways were built for

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

one must also remember our legislators in NH are volunteers unless you call a $100/year stipend and mileage to Concord a paid position
    I agree entirely. Having that for-all-practical-purposes-volunteer arrangement will always effect the accuracy of the representation. Bunch of old fart retirees and independently wealthy types that can afford it and/or have nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    closing speed?
    Closing speed is relevant to stopping distance no? Brings us right back to vehicle, if that was an issue of safety anything over 17.5 should be limited to 35 if you compared it to a passenger vehicle . (not trying to be a dick although I usually am)

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    my thought, some asshat will do 100, while texting and turning around yelling at their kids.
    So what's the problem? That they're doing 100, or that they're not paying attention? If they were doing 50 and not paying attention, would that make it all better?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was more thinking about passing/being passed.

My Dad drives at 55-60, he's old. I would not feel comfortable in either car 600 or 100, less in his really. I think of passing/being passed at the track. Racing aside, I prefer to be the one passing and whne passing I try not to scare the shit out of the guy I pass. If they freak, they could do something weird, track or street.

Plus, I don't think I'll done over 90 in about 4 years and even then it was in very short burst. Now, cruise is set to 75.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    So what's the problem? That they're doing 100, or that they're not paying attention? If they were doing 50 and not paying attention, would that make it all better?
    clearly the problem is the lack of attention. That will never change. I rather rear ended by someone doing 75 like me then someone with the cruise set to 100.

another thought, I listen to 18-22 year olds talk about doing over 100 with some regularity. I can tell you, most of their cars, I would not do 75 in.

jail? no, long loss of license yes.

Last edited by timmyho414; 03-09-14 at 08:58 AM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Lifer

The problem is that enforcing a speed limit is 100x easier than enforcing any distracted driving rule. So there we have it. What is safe doesn't matter nearly as much as what is easily enforced. The "it's all about revenue" line seems snide. But it is pretty close to reality.

FWIW: I'm not advocating doing 100 during the evening commute on 101 or anything like that. But 70.. that's perfectly reasonable. The limit should be raised, at least for passenger cars (and motorcycles). Asinine that they killed a law doing that.

Actually, law makers should defer all speed limits to the engineering department at NH DOT. What speed is 'safe' for a given road is a function of the vehicle, roadway, traffic, and environmental conditions. Politics has nothing to do with it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 388 View Post
    Some of you are just paranoid about police....
    Why the hate, yes some are mean, some are by the book, welcome to life, they are people and everyone is different but to say over and over they stop you for revenue purposes... Don't give them the reason to stop you. They don't win a toaster oven for handing out more tickets than the next guy, their pay doesn't reflect tickets written, go easy
    The only thing that stops someone from driving at break neck speeds all the time is the fear of getting in trouble, that sign on the side of the highway doesn't do it so that's why there are penalties
    As for the revenue issue, a summons to court costs the state money while a simple infraction with a guilty plea and payment does generate some cash for the state

You're wrong about 8 times there.

Your one of the reasons I wrote that Degsy
    Just re-read your post rant of last year

Banned

I drive at 60-65 in the middle lane now. Have done for the last 6 months. At the 55 limit areas on 128 i drive 50 in the middle lane.
    I'll prove my point, motherfuckers.

OK, this is asinine. How ANYONE here could support jail time for goin 100mph is beyond my ability to comprehend. JAILTIME??!! Do you know that that entails? Losing your job, possibly a whole lot more. Parole is even worse that jail. With no license and heavy reporting requirements they are punishing you financially enough to push you into a life of crime! Gotta pay the bills somehow. No job, no car? Dealing drugs sounds good.

Fucking asinine.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    If you traditionally drive 80 on these roads marked at 65, if they raise the limit to 75 would you continue to drive 80?
    Yup. I rarely speed ever down here, yknow why? The speed limits are appropriate for the areas. 4 lane road through a busy economic area? Speed limits 55. I do 55, it feels right. Speed limits 80? Hell, more often than not I'm still doing 75. I dont speed just because I can, I drive what I feel is appropriate for the area.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    OK, this is asinine. How ANYONE here could support jail time for goin 100mph is beyond my ability to comprehend.
    Like I've said, doing 100 is a choice. You made a choice to break a VERY well known law. How known? There's signs everyfuckingwhere. So you cant even play the "Im sorry, I didnt know I couldnt do that excuse".

Zip Tie Alley #505

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 388 View Post
    Your one of the reasons I wrote that Degsy
    Just re-read your post rant of last year
    that doesnt make any of what you wrote correct.

Banned

Lots of anecdotes here about how cops let people off with warnings.
    15 years ago and before 9-11 is a universe away from now in terms of police power/attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Like I've said, doing 100 is a choice. You made a choice to break a VERY well known law. How known? There's signs everyfuckingwhere. So you cant even play the "Im sorry, I didnt know I couldnt do that excuse".
    Not what I said at all. I said jail time for this particular offense is ASININE. Do a quick study of what happens to people who do jail time. It BREEDS more criminals. The LAST thin we need is speeders added to the roster.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Not what I said at all. I said jail time for this particular offense is ASININE. Do a quick study of what happens to people who do jail time. It BREEDS more criminals. The LAST thin we need is speeders added to the roster.
    They want to up it from a violation to a misdemeanor. It "may" result in jail time. They're not sending people to pound me in the ass federal prison for this. In fact, I didnt see anything there about jail time, other than the may result in jail time line. I doubt anyone would go to jail unless they're a repeat offender.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Lifer

Making normal citizens into criminals. Seems like a recurring theme nowadays.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Well this jailtime for 100mph won't effect me, because I have been broken down by the system. I give up and I am in self preservation mode. Like i said. 65 absolute MAX. Middle lane. I avoid pulling into plazas or gas stations if i see a cop car there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    He's not playing the excuse at all... he's saying the law is bullshit to begin with. If the government says not using a turn signal is 30 days in jail then it's the same thing: easy to follow, but complete bullshit. We have the right to disagree with a law.

Last edited by shortbus; 03-09-14 at 10:27 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Well this jailtime for 100mph won't effect me, because I have been broken down by the system. I give up and I am in self preservation mode. Like i said. 65 absolute MAX. Middle lane. I avoid pulling into plazas or gas stations if i see a cop car there.
    Wish you'd stay out of the middle lane. Other than that, do whatchulike.