Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1000+ miles in 22 hrs on an SV650

1000+ miles in 22 hrs on an SV650

I'm now a member of the Iron Butt Association. I completes a Saddle Sore 1000 (SS1K) event, the Minute Man 1000. Myself and my partner, Peter Ott, completed a bit over 1000 miles in under 22 hours. This is corrected miles. So we're maybe looking at 1100 odometer miles.

This was a long gruling ride. We left at 6AM from Northampton MA and headed north on 91/89 to Swanton VT, just on the Canadian border. The we rode backroads to Bangor ME, this was a nice part of the trip. Next was to Wyoming Rhode Island. Here begins the descent into madness, lastly was to Milford, CT and the pilot truck stop where we stood around repeating "Blade Runner" over and over. Lastly, back to Northampton MA on the SV650. I rode all of the distance with Peter Otto, a Swiss-German professor from NY state that was aboard a tricked out GS1000. His accent and humor made the ride for me.

I'd gotten a good night's sleep and Peter and I met up at the bike impound for our ride. I'd posted a message to the board asking if there were any 1st time SS1k riders that wanted to buddie up. Peter and I met up and set off got points north in fine fettle. There was heavy fog and slow speeds out of the gate. Whenever possible we tried to have a vehicle ahead of us so we could pace them this allowed us to move a little faster by using their eyes as well as their

Moving north the fog finally broke. We used a series of "rabbits" to get us up to Swanton fast. Rabbits are faster moving vehicles that you pace. The make way for you and act as cop magnets. Most of the time we were able to move at an actual 85 MPH more or less which would look like 90+ on a speedometer.

Our task was to collect maple syrup at a farm in Swanton, which we did. We then headed East to Bangor Maine. These roads were interesting but dropped average speed way down. We rode across far Northern VT NH and parts of Maine. There were some nice curves, beautiful scenery. By the time we got to Bangor I was getting pretty tired of riding.

South to Wyoming Rhode Island was where the fun really started. I made an unscheduled rest stop that are up time, I just needed to be off the bike! The one of out rabbits got nailed by the police just in front of us, which was a little nerve wracking!

We hit Boston around 11 PM. I personally would have just stayed on 95 but peter took some crazy route that put us on the big dig. I could not believe the traffic and how aggressive the traffic was!. By now we had been away about 16 hours and riding all that time. Dodging white Escalades was not on my "to do" list. Peter on his GS1100 seemed to be very confident. The road surfaces sucked too with large portions roughed up for resurfacing! Holy crap! I love the country.

On to Milford CT where we were passed by kids playing in traffic. Some squid blew by me in my lane like I was standing still, he must have been going well, well over 140 MPH and was in a t shirt! He was soon followed by lots of buddies on similar super bikes. Insane.

The pilot truck stop was out next and most interesting stop. There were hundreds of mostly black teens and lots of cops and a k-9 unit. I seriously looks like a rap video. The girls looks super ****ty for the most part and the guys sporting gold chains and posing. It was interesting and surreal by then. I was having a hardsih time concentrating. The ride north to sweet home Northampton was simple on autopilot and familiar roads. It was good to get home and to bed. The awards ceremony was nice.

The crew of the Minuteman was awesome and Priscilla and I plan to contest it next year on Super Cubs! Not the SS1k but thte minute man Savanger Hunt 24 hours of New England. Just 24 hours at about 25 MPH! We bought our fist cub two weeks ago and will pick up our second on Friday taxonomy - Super Cub!

A few lessons learned.

Eat all you can at every gas stop. I had gorp. lots of home made beef jerky and fruit. Doing his I never needed to go into a restaurant and sit down. When stuck in traffic you can eat carrots. This is fun and kind of amusing.

You learn what makes you uncomfortable on long rides and what tires you out. You learn economy in cornering. You learn even a short distance without plugs makes you crazy. Long distance riding puts your techniques under a microscope

The SV650 really is a great bike. You can drag knees one weekends and ride 1000+ miles in 22 hours the next!

Me someplace in NH

It was really hot so I went for a swim! Drying my feet with the rally flag! This was a lot of fun, but I think made Peter a little nuts.

If you have not done one of these events DO ONE SOON! You'll never know till you try!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by taxonomy; 06-12-08 at 09:01 AM.
    Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

Re: 1000+ miles in 22 hrs on an SV650

Excellent adventure. And nice ring!

What seat do you have on your SV?

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    What seat do you have on your SV?
    Just a stock 2001 seat. I had bike pants for the first part of the ride. The after that I had just regular shorts. The change of clothes and the swim helped a lot.

My ass really was sore by the time I got home!

Gear does not seem to matter much. Some guys on air cooled Hondas (early 1980s were fine, and competed as a family). Other guys on full tourers showed their wear.

My Aerostich tank panniers really blocked a lot of wind. I had a small givi wind screen which could have been bigger. But the stock setup was fine. My SV is a naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    Excellent adventure. And nice ring!
    She's a peach.

Nice job man. were you pretty tired for the next couple days. I wish I knew about that, it seemed like a fun time.

well done, nice ride report.

Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter S
    2013 BMW R1200GS

...nice report...and congrats!

How did your tires fare???

Since I can't seem to get much over 5k on a set of tires...no matter what brand...these events always seemed to me to be a way to flat spot a set of tires in 24 hours. But it sounds like you did a lot of the ride on back roads so maybe not?!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post

Since I can't seem to get much over 5k on a set of tires...no matter what brand...these events always seemed to me to be a way to flat spot a set of tires in 24 hours. But it sounds like you did a lot of the ride on back roads so maybe not?!

I have observed a big difference in tire life going from my 370lb/65hp SV650 (10k+) to my 470lb/95hp VeeStrom (7500 at best)

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post

I am on Pilot Roads, I really cannot see any difference in the tires at all. More importantly I cannot really feel any difference in them. These tires were sticky enough for me to drag pegs at the Lee Parks school and seem to wear like iron.

We rode a bunch of back roads on this (if you're going by time) but the miles were done on highways.

A light bike (425 wet) and reasonable power (65 HP at the wheel) and not a smooth riding style help keep the tires together.

I'm really happy with the setup as it is. It really does anything. I have some minor suspension mods coming up but I can't see needing anything more than the SV for my uses.

Congrats dude! I wish I knew. I am off for my first long distance ride in September to Indy. Not an IBA ride though. Kudos. Maybe someday I'll do it. My friend and his wife did one 2 up on a GS1150

Ask me about Total Control ARC Level 1 and Level 2
    in Troy, NY and Loudon, NH
    John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVg3Gg4LmA
    '02 GL1800A Silver (Track Toy)
    '12 Striple R

"I hope I always have a little more skill than stupidity"...Lee Parks