Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

110,000 miles

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Re: 110,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    If it's anything like mine, you should be close to the thinnest shims on some valves by now...
    I still have some of your shims in my bike. The ones you were nice enough to swap with me. I did not do a valve check this past winter. The previous winter they were pretty well in spec. I'll have to do another check this coming winter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

...7.4 MPI in my boat...
    Whatcha got for a tub?

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Whatcha got for a tub?
    I have a 2000 Regal 2550LSC that I've kept in pristine condition since I bought it in 2005.

I drag it behind my LBZ Duramax and I have taken it all over the place. It routinely goes on Winnipesaukee and Maine lakes, but it has also been on the ocean between Casco Bay and Newburyport a few times.

Other places I've taken it:
    Lake George 2 day trip
    Hudson River, East River, and Harlem River (I went 100 miles down the Hudson and around NYC in it, very cool 2 day trip)
    1000 Islands and Lake Ontario for a week
    Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River for a week (took it right into downtown DC and spent the night aboard there)
    Lake Champlain for a week

This Summer we'll be taking it on a 2 week, 450 mile loop from 1000 Islands/Lake Ontario, up the Rideau Canal to Ottowa, down the Ottowa River to Montreal and up the St Lawrence River back to 1000 Islands/Lake Ontario. We'll also be taking it on a long weekend trip from Bangor, ME out to Penobscot Bay, including stops in Camden, Belfast and Bar Harbor.

110,000 miles-_dsc7402-jpg
    At Mount Vernon on the Potomac
    110,000 miles-710-jpg
    Singer Castle in 1000 Islands
    110,000 miles-282-jpg
    NYC
    110,000 miles-img_3281-jpg
    My driveway
    110,000 miles-img_0280-jpg
    Chesapeake Bay Bridge near Annapolis

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 04-16-17 at 07:30 PM.

Awesome thread...congrats!
    Hard to believe you'd still have to clock another 150k to catch Phil B if he retired the monster.

I have a 2000 Regal 2550LSC that I've kept in pristine condition since I bought it in 2005.

I drag it behind my LBZ Duramax and I have taken it all over the place. It routinely goes on Winnipesaukee and Maine lakes, but it has also been on the ocean between Casco Bay and Newburyport a few times.

Other places I've taken it:
    Lake George 2 day trip
    Hudson River, East River, and Harlem River (I went 100 miles down the Hudson and around NYC in it, very cool 2 day trip)
    1000 Islands and Lake Ontario for a week
    Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River for a week (took it right into downtown DC and spent the night aboard there)
    Lake Champlain for a week

This Summer we'll be taking it on a 2 week, 450 mile loop from 1000 Islands/Lake Ontario, up the Rideau Canal to Ottowa, down the Ottowa River to Montreal and up the St Lawrence River back to 1000 Islands/Lake Ontario. We'll also be taking it on a long weekend trip from Bangor, ME out to Penobscot Bay, including stops in Camden, Belfast and Bar Harbor.

110,000 miles-_dsc7402-jpg
    At Mount Vernon on the Potomac
    110,000 miles-710-jpg
    Singer Castle in 1000 Islands
    110,000 miles-282-jpg
    NYC
    110,000 miles-img_3281-jpg
    My driveway
    110,000 miles-img_0280-jpg
    Chesapeake Bay Bridge near Annapolis
    That boat has been good to you, and I am sure you to it. Reading about the trip to pick it up doesn't seem like 12 years ago, wow.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    That boat has been good to you, and I am sure you to it. Reading about the trip to pick it up doesn't seem like 12 years ago, wow.
    That boat is the best investment I ever made. My kids were 8 and 11 when we got it and we had many fantastic family vacations and long boating days aboard it. Now that the kids have grown up, my wife and and I are using the boat even more than ever before. We are having so much fun boating, that we plan to sell the house and buy a live-aboard boat in the next 4-5 years.

The older I get the more I realize that experiences are much more valuable than possessions, however, possessing a boat and a motorcycle has led to some unforgettable experiences.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 04-17-17 at 09:19 AM.

I hear you on that. The more we simplify our lives, the more enjoyable it has become. Given our current undertakings, we may be going boatless in the next year or so. Not permanent, but makes sense for now.

And not to de-rail further, but I wanted to tell you the playground finally came down this past weekend. After many years in the back yard, several additions, and tons of kids crawling on it, it was finally retired. Anything left on it that was any good was removed and recycled to those who could use them. The big slide finally broke last summer, still usable, but not safe. My son was sad to see it go, but at 12yo baseball has become his thing and he was really too tall for it. That thing definitely stood the test though.

And not to de-rail further, but I wanted to tell you the playground finally came down this past weekend. After many years in the back yard, several additions, and tons of kids crawling on it, it was finally retired. Anything left on it that was any good was removed and recycled to those who could use them. The big slide finally broke last summer, still usable, but not safe. My son was sad to see it go, but at 12yo baseball has become his thing and he was really too tall for it. That thing definitely stood the test though.
    What a strange coincidence, I had not thought about that playground for years, but on Saturday, I visited my little brother in a house he and his wife just bought and there was a similar playground set in the back yard that came with the house. This, of course, brought back memories... Glad you got your money's worth. It lasted 20 years, not bad.

Nice!

I'm building up toward an extended boating trip similar to the ones you described.

Picked up a 268 Weekender, with a single 454, late last season and have been chipping away at all the little things. Hopefully do an ocean trip next year but the Captain needs to brush up on his navigational skills before anything.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice!

I'm building up toward an extended boating trip similar to the ones you described.

Picked up a 268 Weekender, with a single 454, late last season and have been chipping away at all the little things. Hopefully do an ocean trip next year but the Captain needs to brush up on his navigational skills before anything.
    Congrats! Where do you keep it/use it? What year? VP DP drive? Lemme know if you need any tools, I have some that work on that drive. I also happen to have a Techmate marine scan tool, which is a ridiculously expensive OBD-like scanner that works on proprietary marine ECMs. I suspect you have a MEFI3 or MEFI4 ECM.

I strongly recommend getting a Garmin chart plotter. I put a 741XS in mine last year and it is just awesome. It will be a tremendous help with navigation peace of mind. I choose the 741XS because it also accepts a radar and side scan sonar, two featured I'd like to add to my boat. It comes pre-loaded with all the lake, river and ocean charts for the US. I will be spending 200 bucks on Canada charts this year.

Weekender would be a Sea Ray, so most likely a Merc BII or BIII. Nice boat, we really liked our Sea Ray.

Stays on the trailer when it's not in the water. I have access to a mooring on the north side of Rattlesnake Is (Lake Winni) but there's no way I'm leaving it for the week moored on the Broads. From my house I can be in the water in just over an hour so a slip isn't worth the money.

The tub is a 1987 with a Merc 7.4 and Alpha 1 outdrive. Figured it's a good start for my foray into cabin cruising. No EFI just yet.

I keep hearing Garmin is the way to go so I may have a few questions for you.

Right now I'm in the midst of rebuilding a 1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 for the dinghy but once the big boat is home, all attention will be going toward that.

Weekender would be a Sea Ray, so most likely a Merc BII or BIII. Nice boat, we really liked our Sea Ray.
    Sea Ray is correct. Stumbled across an extremely well kept example and got a very good deal.

Mine was an '86. They were built like tanks back then. Happy to see you got the 7.4, my 250 had the 5.7 and was underpowered.

Plenty of grunt from the engine but I've heard the Alpha 1 drive is sensitive to the 7.4 power. The previous owners installed a brand new lower unit prior to selling so I'm not looking to blow that up right away.
    I'll keep a 19P on there and just be happy.

Yes the 7.4 / Alpha combination wasn't exactly the best set up on longevity. I've heard drive showers help keep the upper unit cool for extended runs. It should last you though as long as you don't beat on it.

doh, was thinking Four Winns when I saw 268...

Stays on the trailer when it's not in the water. I have access to a mooring on the north side of Rattlesnake Is (Lake Winni) but there's no way I'm leaving it for the week moored on the Broads. From my house I can be in the water in just over an hour so a slip isn't worth the money.
    Smart to keep it on the trailer. We are an hour from the lake too. We use Downing's Landing launch ramp. We should meet up on the lake this Summer.
    We have friends with a place on Rattlesnake's Broads side and we dock there overnight all the time. Their place is where I drew the star.
    110,000 miles-rattle-jpg
    110,000 miles-p7210081-jpg

I've gravitated​ to West Alton marina to launch from only because a friend bought his boat there. How's Downings? Any weekend parking?

My borrowed mooring is just about due north from the "R" on your map. I'd be heading up Thursday nights or early Friday. Get in touch when you're headed up.

I've gravitated​ to West Alton marina to launch from only because a friend bought his boat there. How's Downings? Any weekend parking?

My borrowed mooring is just about due north from the "R" on your map. I'd be heading up Thursday nights or early Friday. Get in touch when you're headed up.
    Downings is free, so parking fills rapidly and you are usually out of luck by 8 AM on weekends. We are early risers, so an early start to a weekend day is easy for us. Parking at night, if we spend the night on the lake, is never a problem unless there are fireworks in Alton. We enjoy night boating and think nothing of heading up to Winni after work, going to dinner by boat, cruising around and getting home before midnight. The boat is usually ready to go and the trailer is almost always connected to the truck in the Summer. We have launching and loading down to a science and only tie up the ramp for 90 seconds or less for either.

I'm solo launching for the most part during the week and until the Mrs gets comfortable with moving the truck/ trailer or handling the boat in the water. 90 seconds is a dream right now.

I'll send you my info. Hope you don't mind a flurry of boating questions. I've been on boats for most of my life but never had to put the care into operating one until now.

Some of the best advice anyone ever gave me, "Don't approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it." Sounds pretty elementary, but actually makes more sense when you're out there.

That had to have been Memorial Day or Independence Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Love that scene. Such a great movie.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12