Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1976 Honda XL250 mech. help needed

Smile 1976 Honda XL250 mech. help needed

I need to adjust (check) the valves if anyone can help. I know it is easy but I've never done it so need to watch you do it. I can pay you or you can ride to my house and help for fun. Also need to replace the oil seal behind the front sprocket. Neil 617-512-5654 Billerica

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 1976 Honda XL250 mech. help needed

Dude, get a tech manual for that little rig, setting valves is fairly easy, that seal is mice nuts too...
    Rob

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

2013 FLHTC, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Bunch of other Guzzis, '85 RZ 350 KR, '88 Hawk GT, '74 Dalesman Trails, '72 Triumph T 100 R Daytona.. etc...

I have the manual which like a computer manual is fine if you've done it before. Even if someone just verbally goes over it with me, it would be a lot easier. The seal I can do. Had the sprocket off the other day and cleaned the seal which helped some. Oil not pouring out anymore. Do I have to replace gaskets to get at the flywheel? I used to work on two strokes. Much simpler.

I believe that has screw adjuster tappets, easy cheasy to adjust. Quick 'an dirty method... take the valve cover off, this will expose the cam and rockers. Take the plug out, and use a long screwdriver down the plug hole to feel for the top of the piston. Now, keep one hand on the screwdriver, and SLOWLY use the kickstart to roll the motor over, feeling the screwdriver move up and down with the piston. Note that it will hit a peak, kinda hang there for just a second, and then start dropping. This is 'TDC' Get the motor back to that spot. Look at the cam, you want both of the 'lobes' or bumps aiming down towards the motor so both valves are closed. If the are aiming up, roll the motor over once and refind TDC.

Now, there are two rockers with lock nutted screws on the ends, those are what you adjust. For now though, you're just going to do a quick test to see if you should even bother finding feeler gauges. Grab a rocker's adjustable end, and try to move it up and down. If you can feel that it's got some 'wiggle room' up and down, leave it and check the next one. Ideally it'll have some slop also. If so, button it up and worry about dialing the clearance in later, slop is ok. If either is 'tight' you'll need to fix that before you run the bike more. You'll also likely have a hard time starting it until you do.

The seal is REAL easy... put the bike on it's side with the sprocket facing you. Take the chain and sprocket off. twist a sheetrock screw into the meat of the seal, and pull it out, noting which side is out. (Look at your new seal, there is an inside and outside to them. Use a rag to clean out any dirt, debris, ets from the seal cavity and shaft. Grease the shatf, then slowly and evenly press the new seal in place. Install the sprocket and chain, and go ride.

Cool thanks!

On my first date I was looking at the manual and she said, "What the hell is that?"
    I said, "I just want to make sure I don't miss a step."
    She said, "I'm gonna find someone who doesn't need the manual!"
    I said, "But I have all the parts right here."