Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1981 Yamaha Champ LC50G

1981 Yamaha Champ LC50G

So about 4 years ago, the summer before my senior year of high school, I bought a running yamaha champ and put about 1200 miles on it over the year. The summer after I graduated the vacuum petcock went bad, leaking out a gallon in under a minute. At the time I believed it was an external fuel pump so I deemed the scooter a lost cause and stuck it in a shed for 3 years.

So as of last week I am now restoring the scooter. I started with the original problem, tearing the vacuum petcock and old hoses out and running 2 lines from the fuel tank (reserve and standard) to a Y connector. From there the single line runs to a mechanical valve to a T connector connecting the outtake and the fuel intake.

This is where I am hitting problems. When the valve is open, fuel poors out the back of the carborator through the air intake. When the fuel is off, it takes time to burn through the flooding in the carb, but once it's started it runs fine.

That is until I open the fuel again, which kills the engine (flooking the carb I'm guessing)

What is my next step? Do I just need to rip the carb apart and clean 3 years of gunk or is the gravity feed too much for the engine?

I'm not much of a mechanic, just a learning hobby for me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 1981 Yamaha Champ LC50G

Float stuck open and/or leaking needle valve.

Yes, the carb is to be taken completely apart and cleaned.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!