Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Had my 1st highside today...

Had my 1st highside today...

I managed 6 race weekends w/out highsiding my bike or even damaging anything other than a stock clip-on... Then today, on a Sunday cruise leaving a friends house I go and flip the bike side over side going about 35mph??? Here's what happened (and I realize pics would make this thread worth something, but don't have any right now):

I told my wife I'd meet her for dinner and had an hour or so to kill out on the bike, so I stopped by my friend Gary's house to talk racing for a bit. Gary used to race and has won nationals and stuff and used to do really well up at loudon in the 80's, so he has all kinds of trophies, framed pics, and a few racebikes in his basement which I've never seen until today. I was getting all kinds of good advice for the next time I'm on the track like lines, and throttle to brake to throttle transitioning, and set up stuff. He got me all pumped up, and I watched moto gp this morn so even though I don't ride hard on the street anymore, I ended up getting a little over-enthusiastic when I left his house, got on the gas a little hard taking the right hander off of Gary's street, and my cold rear tire came round and then caught traction throwing over the bike. I tumbled, the bike tumbled and almost landed on top of me, and when all came to an end my bike's plastics were scuffed up and broken, my rearset was bent in, my clip on was bent, both mirrors broken off, the passenger seat ripped, and some other minor scuffs and broken pieces. I only suffered a few scrapes and a sore wrist, but after Gary and his family came running around the corner to see if I was alright, I managed to ride the bike to the restaraunt, eat dinner w/my wife and kids, and then ride home. I'm more embarassed than anything because it was such a stupid crash, but I learned that these things can happen when we least expect it, so protective gear is most certainly a necessity even on the most mundane of rides. Although I can't say I was covered in full protective gear, I was pretty smartly dressed for riding, and it saved my ass... just not my ego!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Re: Had my 1st highside today...

Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you're relatively ok!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Damn, glad you're pretty much OK. Sucks that you crashed, hopefully you and the bike can heal up and be ready for the October round.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

glad you got out relatively unscathed. egos heal

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

That sucks.
    Cold tires; rookie mistake.
    Glad it was only your ego that was damaged.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

you're a dummy

I totaled the shit out of a bike because of cold tires. they stopped counting at $11k in parts

I did a very similar thing on my DRZ SM about 3years ago. The back end slid and then caught and catapulted me. I hope your heal quick.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Cold tires + cold pavement = very little traction..all you can do at this point is learn from it.

Frederick Stearns
    Souhegan Valley Motorsports Racing
    CCS/LRRS Expert #333
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    but I learned that these things can happen when we least expect it, so protective gear is most certainly a necessity even on the most mundane of rides.

What did you have for dinner?

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tonup View Post

What did you have for dinner?
    ...a slice of humble pie for dessert?

Well, after bumming out all day at work about all the "damage" I thought I caused on my bike, I came home, took a pipe and straightened out the rearset bracket, clip on, and brake lever... touched up some paint on the tail section and front fairing around the headlight, and removed the busted mirrors... bike only needs mirrors and maybe a passenger seat if I want to get picky about a few scuffs. The tail section plastic cracked, but under the passenger seat, and it is staying together fine. The only part of the plastics that will need to be replaced is the section around the headlights which cracked... unless I use some strong glue or something. The frame and tank sliders did there job, and neither the tank or the side plastics were scratched.

Looking back at the incident, I've put together some factors that contributed to the crash(other than being a dumbass and trying to Casey Stoner a turn w/cold tires on a public road)... and have learned from the experience.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

It happens... I did an entire track day without incident in CA, went to stop at the bathroom on my way out, apparently didn't put the kick stand down all the way (or at all? I was exhausted) and BANG! Felt like a retard for a few weeks, but all in all it could have been worse.

Original

Lifer

Good news on the damage, did you come out of it as well as the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    It happens... I did an entire track day without incident in CA, went to stop at the bathroom on my way out, apparently didn't put the kick stand down all the way (or at all? I was exhausted) and BANG! Felt like a retard for a few weeks, but all in all it could have been worse.
    ha, Pigman built his new race bike in a week and before even taking it out for the first time he put the front down with the warmer still on then went to take it off the rear stand but didn't hold the bike up. it stood for a good second and a half before falling over.

I bet there are more people on this site that have dropped and/or had a stupid little crash than there are people who have kept every bike upright.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Good news on the damage, did you come out of it as well as the bike?
    Yeah, I'm a little sore... especially my wrist, but I did manage to work today and I do alot of heavy lifting at work, so I guess I'm pretty lucky.

LRRS am #121

Sucks dude.

Been there done that - couple seasons ago. Threw my 1000RR across the pavement and down into the woods. Cold pavement and cold tires didn't help any.

Glad it wasn't worse.

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Lifer

Yeah, I'm a little sore... especially my wrist, but I did manage to work today and I do alot of heavy lifting at work, so I guess I'm pretty lucky.
    Look at your hands and imagine them without gloves. Whatever gear you were wearing worked!

"Budeep a bubba"

Yeah, I'm glad your ok. Sure it sucks on one hand, but if you learned from it then that's priceless.

Harley Davidson
    "Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless." -KP