Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

State laws?

State laws?

Not sure if this is a repost, was loooking for handgun related and saw this...

Senate Bill, No. 2107
    Senate Bill, No. 2107

looks like it is set up to allow the registrar to set any decibel level they want, and set fines as they see fit. Does not even determine if OEM exhaust is acceptable.
    But I like the part that they have ot measure the noise " At maximum speed" at a distance of 50 feet.
    If they can stay with me at maximum speed for 50 feet......they can have the friggin bike!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

State laws?

Going after the Harley's and customs with straight pipes, no mufflers I hope.

TIMMYDUCK

State laws?

max engine speed? and Its about fuggin time!

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

State laws?

Measurements shall be made of overall vehicle noise at maximum speed at fifty feet in accordance with test procedure SAE J192 of the Society of Automotive Engineers, or with such other test procedure for measurement of sound pressure levels as the registrar may adopt.

J192? Isn't that standard for sleds?

And @ max RPM? Ever stand near a bike on a dyno? Good luck with that 82 dB limit. That's some great legislation there, that is.

State laws?

And @ max RPM? Ever stand near a bike on a dyno? Good luck with that 82 dB limit. That's some great legislation there, that is.
    Doesn't it say @ 50 feet ???? not standing next to..

My question is why not just follow the Federal Standard?

2001 RC51!!!

State laws?

New Hampshire's law makes it even hard for a straight piped harley to fail

NH RSA 266:59-a Motorcycle Noise Levels.
    I. No person shall operate a motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than 106 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.
    II. No person shall pass for the purposes of the inspection required by RSA 266:1 any motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than 106 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.
    II-a. No person shall operate in this state any motorcycle which produces a sound level in excess of 106 decibels on the A scale, when measured in accordance with the provisions of the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice ANSI/SAE J-1287 annual report on ""Measurement of Exhaust Sound Levels of Stationary Motorcycles.''
    III. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $300.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

State laws?

We like to think its to combat harleys with straight pipes. Its not, they will use it to hassel (at least for the most part) sport bikes and just ignore all the harleys around.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

State laws?

I think the law should apply to every vehicle.. sportbikes, motards ( mine is loud stock in my opinion), JAP cars with the 9" wide exhaust pipes..... straight piped harleys.... boats, chainsaws etc... they are all annoying...
    Loud pipes do not save lives.. they make riders and public deaf alike.

2001 RC51!!!

State laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    We like to think its to combat harleys with straight pipes. Its not, they will use it to hassel (at least for the most part) sport bikes and just ignore all the harleys around.
    And that, unfortunately, is the truth. Looks like I might be screwed with the tard then, cause they sumbitch is louder than my 600!

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

State laws?

I dont know. My harley ar max speed is a bit quieter than the liter bike.
    At max RPM it would depend where the 50 ft line is. If it is behind the bike then the pressure wave alone is going to kill that. I stood behind a friends zx10 being dyno-tuned, at about 35 ft away your ribs start vibrating, and forget the noise, even stock it is deafening.

I guess we can all thank the boys with thier D&D pipes, sitting at the red lights bouncing it off the rev limiters.

State laws?

I guess we can all thank the boys with thier D&D pipes, sitting at the red lights bouncing it off the rev limiters.
    I don't think so....... its the guys with straight pipes. A wide open sport bike is loud, but no where near as load as a straight piped Harley.

Lets just say I live 2 miles from Route 3A ( the closest road to me) in NH and I almost never hear a sportbike unless they are at WFO, but I hear Hardleys all the time! That right there says it.

I never hear a Tard....

2001 RC51!!!

State laws?

Quote Originally Posted by snowborder View Post
    I don't think so....... its the guys with straight pipes. A wide open sport bike is loud, but no where near as load as a straight piped Harley.

Lets just say I live 2 miles from Route 3A ( the closest road to me) in NH and I almost never hear a sportbike unless they are at WFO, but I hear Hardleys all the time! That right there says it.

I never hear a Tard....

I live off Amherst st, and not a night goes by in the summer when I dont hear them. My HD has straight pipes, and trust me it is not as loud as a sport bike at 13000 rpm.

State laws?

Well I try to be polite, and in residential neighborhoods I try to keep the RPMs down, Ill cruise around in second instead of first and stuff. Harleys are just loud no matter where they are in the RPM range. Ok, sportbikes are loud high in the RPMs, but harleys are loud EVERYWHERE. Anyone who says looking across the broad range, that sportbikes are louder than Harleys are insane.
    It doesnt bother me when they're moving, cause that will quickly pass (I live right off the fellsway in Melrose, I can hear all of them at all hours, its really not that bad, granted its not a super major road, but you hear them.) What really bothers me is the dipshits bouncing off the rev limiter at red lights and stuff. Its not funny, its not cool, everyone just makes fun of you, stop.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

State laws?

When I did the dyno-drag race thing I was strapped next to a custom chrome whateverthehell and all I heard from the green light till about an hour afterwards was a ringing in my ear

Strait piped HD-customs are WAY louder than crotch rockets. I live on the edge of 290 in Woosta and there is a HUGE difference between the 2

Every jackass that owns a D&D pipe should be kicked in the nuts and so should the strait pipe guys

Loud pipes do save lives (clutch in quick rev is way more effective than my horn). Strait pipes and D&D pipes make people deaf and piss people off.

I would LOVE to snip the clutch cable on all the turkeys at red lights that feel the need to rev the piss out of there bikes.

O.K. Im dun now

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~