Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

200,000 miles

Re: 200,000 miles

Nice work! My buddy John had a TL1000 with 75k, and I thought that was amazing!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I must have missed this the first time around! Fak Phil...you're an odd duck but have a tuff butt! And, some of your other bikes sound like what this guy would ride...even though he doesnt always ride motorcycles...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 02-20-13 at 10:25 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Cool

Check if Ducati will give you something

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Cool

Check if Ducati will give you something
    At the Laguna Seca MotoGP in 2009, Ducati NA had a customer bike show. They judged mine to win the "wild card" class, and gave me a Puma/Ducati backpack with about $500 of swag in it (fancy coffee table books, Oakley/Ducati sunglasses, etc.). That's also where Motorcyclist took the pics to feature me on the Me and My Bike page in the Dec09 issue. It had about 165K on it then. I don't really need anything from Ducati for this, other than to hope they don't stop making parts for it (which actually has started to become an issue).

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

At this point, I would expect Ducati to want to replace your bike with a brand new one, and feature your bike in one of their ads. Didn't Triumph do something like this a few years ago?
    So much for rumors and stories of Ducati unreliability... but even their newest Multistrada fell victim to "problems" in a recent shoot out... IMO - Ducati would do well to jump on this opportunity to capitalize on a good customer, and a great bike!

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    At this point, I would expect Ducati to want to replace your bike with a brand new one, and feature your bike in one of their ads. Didn't Triumph do something like this a few years ago?
    So much for rumors and stories of Ducati unreliability... but even their newest Multistrada fell victim to "problems" in a recent shoot out... IMO - Ducati would do well to jump on this opportunity to capitalize on a good customer, and a great bike!
    I wouldn't take that deal; this bike fits me perfectly, and I want to see 500K on it, 30 years or so from now. Plus, the last thing I'm ever going to do is own a bike with a plastic gas tank; I think that has been a huge debacle, and Ducati has not handled it very well. If at some point my bike needs a rebuild, I might see if Ducati would help pay for that in return for the information on what it looks like inside after all of the mileage. Otherwise, I'm keeping it. (Unless BMW builds a K1600R and sells it here, which is pretty darned unlikely.) (Okay, if MOTUS builds a naked version of their bike, and it rocks to ride as much as it looks like it should, I could be tempted by that as well.)

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Wow, Just WOOOOOW!!!!!! Congrats, that is crazy impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Yeah, maybe give they could you a new bike and still let you keep yours, in exchange for featuring yours in an ad or marketing campaign. I mean, ANY motorcycle company could benefit from marketing real life durability examples of their bikes, but ESPECIALLY true with a company making Italian exotics. They could even advertise the fact that you still don't want to part with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Yeah, maybe give they could you a new bike and still let you keep yours, in exchange for featuring yours in an ad or marketing campaign. I mean, ANY motorcycle company could benefit from marketing real life durability examples of their bikes, but ESPECIALLY true with a company making Italian exotics. They could even advertise the fact that you still don't want to part with it!
    Ducati North America does know about the bike. If they give me a call, I'll talk about it. Otherwise, I'm happy just riding it (or will be once the weather permits again, anyway).

PhilB

Gotta say this is a really impressive accomplishment. Has the motor shown any signs of wearing out? The other super high mileage person on here is RandyO, I vaguely recall he started wearing out the cams on his SV650 after a gazillion miles or so, and there were certain parts he was having difficulty obtaining.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    Gotta say this is a really impressive accomplishment. Has the motor shown any signs of wearing out? The other super high mileage person on here is RandyO, I vaguely recall he started wearing out the cams on his SV650 after a gazillion miles or so, and there were certain parts he was having difficulty obtaining.
    Some parts are becoming hard to get. I had to replace my master cylinders this year, and wound up getting more modern ones from a new 796 Monster. And last year I had the forks rebuilt; we looked into ordering a new set of cartridges on the assumption that the originals might be worn out, but they are no longer available. Fortunately, the originals were in good shape and rebuildable; otherwise I would have had to get a new set of forks.

The basic mechanicals still run strong and show no real signs of needing anything. If nothing happens before then, I'm thinking of having it torn apart and rebuilt at 250K, just as a preventive measure. But then I said that at 125K, and never did it.

PhilB

Lifer

Do you expect better life on the engine (and trans?) because of the dry clutch? I figure with a wet clutch over time it has to have some sort of impact. Or does the filter do enough that it doesn't impact much?

Do you have compression numbers on the engine, and maybe a history of them? It'd be cool to see how things had worn over time.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Do you expect better life on the engine (and trans?) because of the dry clutch? I figure with a wet clutch over time it has to have some sort of impact. Or does the filter do enough that it doesn't impact much?

Do you have compression numbers on the engine, and maybe a history of them? It'd be cool to see how things had worn over time.
    I do think the dry clutch helps that a bit, although it's probably not a large difference. Last time I had the compression checked was a couple years ago; it was then within specification -- I don't remember the numbers. It pulls fine and doesn't use much oil, so I'm happy with that. When it does use oil, it's usually the valve guide seals, which last 40-60K. As I noted earlier, I had the rings replaced at 122K; the pistons and bores and all looked fine then. I had Seacoast replace the base gasket on the vertical cylinder last year, as it was leaking oil. They found that it still had a couple of the faulty weak original head studs, so they replaced those as well. I assume that if they had seen anything amiss with the piston and bore and so on, they'd have said something.

PhilB

Congrats Phil, Im happy to see someone put that much love into a machine

Im also glad ducati knows about it and appreciates it

Wow that's amazing! I've never put that many miles on a car, I can't even imagine spending that much time on a bike seat! I hope you don't get rid of that, because it's something that's really unique. I'm glad that Ducati knows about it though!

2006 DRZ400SM

This is great stuff Phil. I don't know what's more impressive... the mileage the bike has, or the fact that you have owned it for 20 years and 200k with no intentions of an upgrade.

Lifer

Exactly. I thought I was special for keeping my last ride around for a decade... although it had 1/10th the miles Phil's has when I got rid of it. Combine that odd fact that I've dropped 15k on the replacement in just 2 seasons.

But yeah. Way to stay satisfied. Can't tell if I'm jealous or baffled.

It just fits me just right.

PhilB

WOW......i just hit 90,000mi. & thought that was alot.
    Has the motor ever been apart?

I miss ya Beet....ya Git!

Lifer

See post #63, he had the rings replaced @ 122k.

nedirtriders.com

Congratulations! What a great milestone!!

2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer - Graphite - current
    2010 Honda NT700V - Silver (first bike) - former

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123