Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

200,000 miles

Re: 200,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    Yeah. I don't think I've even put 100k on a single car in my life.(switch out cars about every 2 years) and I've owned more bikes than years I've been riding. 19 years on the same bike is a real accomplishment.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much the other way around. For cars, I'm genrally inclined to buy one that already has 60-100K on it, and drive it until it's dead. I'm almost 50, and I've only owned 4 cars and 2 trucks myself for actual transportation over the last 32 years (I've had a couple others for hobbies and toys, but not for real driving). Likewise for bikes, I've had plenty of projects and restorations, and fix-'em-up-and-sell-'em bikes, but for genuine riding around, I've only had 7 bikes in the last 25 years (and I still own 4 of those).

PhilB

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Phil... what are the other bikes you still own?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty much the other way around. For cars, I'm genrally inclined to buy one that already has 60-100K on it, and drive it until it's dead. I'm almost 50, and I've only owned 4 cars and 2 trucks myself for actual transportation over the last 32 years (I've had a couple others for hobbies and toys, but not for real driving). Likewise for bikes, I've had plenty of projects and restorations, and fix-'em-up-and-sell-'em bikes, but for genuine riding around, I've only had 7 bikes in the last 25 years (and I still own 4 of those).
    Yeah, I'm very similar. I'm 42 and have only owned two cars and a Jeep -- the first car was a '93 Honda Civic I bought when I got my first job out of college, and I drove that till it got totaled in 2005 due to someone else's idiotic driving in heavy traffic. Then I bought a 2006 Scion tC, which I'm still driving. I also had a well-used Jeep Wrangler for a few years, but that was for fun, not daily transportation. (Difference is, aside from the Jeep, I've bought new and simply kept driving the same car as long as possible.)

As for bikes, my first one was a 1990 Yamaha XT350 that I sold to a friend when I got my Bonneville. I still have the Bonnie. Next bike was the XR650L; I still have that too. Then came a V-Strom 650, which I put 40,000 miles on in three years and then sold to my dad when I got the Tiger.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Phil... what are the other bikes you still own?
    1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1, 1962 Maico Maicoletta 275, 1964 Vespa GS160. Plus two parts bikes for the Heinkel. Also, my wife has a 1995 Monster M900. And my daughter has a 1991 Honda 250 Nighthawk, a 1979 Vespa P200, and a 1972 Honda CB450. (And between the three of us, we own 1 car -- my wife's 2002 Mini-Cooper S.)

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Quote Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
    Any detailed pics of the bike? I'd love to see it as it stands now.
    Here ya go.

PhilB
    200,000 miles-6562026581_a9013010ed_m-jpg200,000 miles-ducstock-2011-sm-jpg200,000 miles-6562027519_5c9ea34d09_m-jpg200,000 miles-nh-snow-01-jpg

Last edited by PhilB; 07-16-12 at 09:45 PM.

awesome!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    There’s just engineering, skill, and luck.

-1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750 - sold
    -1997 Honda CBR600F3 - sold
    -2011 Ducati Streetfighter S - current

Another interesting thought -- this milestone also puts the bike somewhere in the vicinity of having done 1,000,000,000 engine revolutions. That's kind of neato.

PhilB

Kind of. The original seat split its cover at about 60K, and I got a Corbin. That seat also split at another 60K, but since I didn't like it much, I just let it disintegrate for about another 30K (foam sticking out, all that) until it was dead, then I pulled the original seat out of the basement and had a new cover put on it, so that's what I've had for the last 50K. When this one goes, I might try a Sargent or a Saddleman or something.

PhilB
    Go with the Sargent. You won't be unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by nixoid View Post
    Go with the Sargent. You won't be unhappy.
    I have read that the Sargent gives you more room behind, but expects you to use it, so you pretty much have to sit further back. Is that so? That was one of my complaints about the Corbin. That's great for taller riders who feel cramped on the stock position, but I'm not one of those.

PhilB

Wirelessly posted

Dunno bout the seat, but I had 50k nearly trouble free miles on my monster when it got stoves in by a car. Great bikes for sure.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1, 1962 Maico Maicoletta 275, 1964 Vespa GS160. Plus two parts bikes for the Heinkel. Also, my wife has a 1995 Monster M900. And my daughter has a 1991 Honda 250 Nighthawk, a 1979 Vespa P200, and a 1972 Honda CB450. (And between the three of us, we own 1 car -- my wife's 2002 Mini-Cooper S.)

PhilB
    So this sounds like it is your primary mode of transportation? I'm on my first bike and of all the things I learned in the first couple rides, it was that the next bike will be a hard-bagged sport-tourer. I NEED STORAGE! WTF good is a bike if I can't go to the store and pick up a bunch of stuff? Or take a few things with me on the way to work? I don't want to have to wear a backpack everywhere I go, and the space is obviously limited. Do you go to the store exclusively in the Mini? That seems to really inhibit full motorcycle-life integration.

For now, until I dump or blow up this one, I picked up a Saddleman tail-dufflebag. It is spectacularly ugly, but after a ride through the backwoods, I can stop off at the grocery store and complete a shopping trip (for 1 person, or a half-assed trip for 2). I just don't get how you ride so often and don't appear to have any storage?

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I NEED STORAGE! WTF good is a bike if I can't go to the store and pick up a bunch of stuff? Or take a few things with me on the way to work? I don't want to have to wear a backpack everywhere I go, and the space is obviously limited. Do you go to the store exclusively in the Mini? That seems to really inhibit full motorcycle-life integration.

For now, until I dump or blow up this one, I picked up a Saddleman tail-dufflebag. It is spectacularly ugly, but after a ride through the backwoods, I can stop off at the grocery store and complete a shopping trip (for 1 person, or a half-assed trip for 2). I just don't get how you ride so often and don't appear to have any storage?
    Grab one of these.

Leave it in the saddleman bag. The fold up really small and don't take up much space. If you shop and buy more stuff you can fill it and strap it on your back and call it a day. I hate stuff on my back, but it's come in handy for me a bunch when I need that extra storage in a pinch.

If you really hate stuff on your back, in your case you strap it to the saddleman bag as well.

Last edited by e30addict; 07-17-12 at 10:35 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

So this sounds like it is your primary mode of transportation? I'm on my first bike and of all the things I learned in the first couple rides, it was that the next bike will be a hard-bagged sport-tourer. I NEED STORAGE! WTF good is a bike if I can't go to the store and pick up a bunch of stuff? Or take a few things with me on the way to work? I don't want to have to wear a backpack everywhere I go, and the space is obviously limited. Do you go to the store exclusively in the Mini? That seems to really inhibit full motorcycle-life integration.

Yes, it's my primary. Shopping is accomplished by one or more of the following: backpack, messenger bag, large magnetic tankbag, cargo net, bungees, and/or hanging bags with handles from my wrists. I can carry a surprising amount of stuff that way. The Monster is interesting that way, in that the trellis frame and no fairing means that it has infinite bungee points. I can strap the most amazing things to this bike. Garden tools, 10' lengths of pipe, cat carriers, rifle cases, whatever. I have recently tracked down a rare set of hardbags and mounts made for the Monster; I'll be buying those soon, and that will increase the capacity further.

I was just looking at our vehicle situation, and noting that between my wife, my daughter, and I we've got 4 motorcycles, 6 scooters, and 1 car for the three of us. And before my wife bought the Mini, she had also been bike-only for about 2 years. I've been bike-only since 1988. (Effectively. I've had part-time ownership of a '67 Alfa, with my dad, but that's a hobby/toy/project, not real transportation.)

PhilB

Wirelessly posted

That's awesome.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Grab one of these.

Leave it in the saddleman bag. The fold up really small and don't take up much space. If you shop and buy more stuff you can fill it and strap it on your back and call it a day. I hate stuff on my back, but it's come in handy for me a bunch when I need that extra storage in a pinch.

If you really hate stuff on your back, in your case you strap it to the saddleman bag as well.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll be buying one. The saddleman holds quite a bit, which I love. But it will deff help the "what happens if I'm short a little space" scenario. I haven't had to handle-bar it yet, but I suspect it's going to happen eventually. Bout to take a trip up to Maine and the saddleman is a little under my ideal space for the trip and I'm wondering what other ways I can carry.

Phil, I have no idea how you do it. I really don't. I've bungied and roped a few times, and I couldn't do it every day, or even once a week. I'm too worried about it wiggly around, or the weight being too much for my bungie, hook points, knots etc. I'm sure it can be done, and has by many. But I just feel like it would take too much time and mental effort when you could easily pick up a bike equipped with hard luggage and never bother with it again? For the many riders who do occasional trips to the store, I could see your methods making plenty of sense. But based on what you've described, I'm going to continue thinking you're crazy.

nedirtriders.com

I have been riding a bike for about 11 years now and carry a backpack ALWAYS with me, like you guys, my bike (here as well as in India) is the only mode of transport I own.

For long rides I bought a tank bag and a tail bag.

There’s just engineering, skill, and luck.

-1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750 - sold
    -1997 Honda CBR600F3 - sold
    -2011 Ducati Streetfighter S - current

Lifer

10' lengths of pipe? Wow. And I thought I was insane.

Right on!

Wirelessly posted

Doh, damned phones

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 07-18-12 at 09:17 AM.
    Paul_E_D

... Phil, I have no idea how you do it. I really don't. I've bungied and roped a few times, and I couldn't do it every day, or even once a week. I'm too worried about it wiggly around, or the weight being too much for my bungie, hook points, knots etc. I'm sure it can be done, and has by many. But I just feel like it would take too much time and mental effort when you could easily pick up a bike equipped with hard luggage and never bother with it again? For the many riders who do occasional trips to the store, I could see your methods making plenty of sense. But based on what you've described, I'm going to continue thinking you're crazy.
    Feel free; you won't be alone. There's a technique to it, but as I said, the Monster makes it really easy. I considered going the "practical" route -- for a long time I wanted a Honda PC800 Pacific Coast. Which is a great commuter/transportation bike. But the Monster is the bike configuration I just love best: a naked 2-cyl sporty bike. It can do everything I need or want a bike to do, except carry a passenger very far. I solved that by getting my wife her own.

PhilB

Again, huge props. I average about 10k a season, which isn't bad considering its in a garage for about 4 or 5 months out of the year. I always have a backpack on me, after a while you don't even notice. I rode the other day without one and its felt weird ... in a good way.

I do have a car too though, for when I need to get to work in a thunderstorm, or carry 10 ft lengths of pipe hah. My craziest accomplishment on the bike (and it screams idiot) was when I was at UNH with my 07 Daytona. I carried 84 beers about 3 miles on the tank coming back to the dorm one night. Only rode past one cop, he didn't even pull me over, just shook his head.

Last edited by RacerXnh10; 07-19-12 at 10:46 AM.

Well, I do plan to get a car of some sort here before winter hits. I just rode through last winter, but I'm not counting on that happening again.

PhilB

Lifer

Last winter was highly unusual from my perspective.

satz

Cool acheivement considering you live here. Last year at the dragon Fz1 get together there was woman with a 200+k 2001 Fz1. she rides it every day and alot of trips from what i gather.
    it took her 10 yrs or so do 200k.but she was from down south.

I don't think that crashing is inevitable. It's always an odds game, though, so the more you ride, the more likely the odds might catch up eventually. But it doesn't always happen, and of course there are many things you can do to change your odds (for the better or the worse). Not counting parkinglot drops (kickstand breaks, etc.), this bike has been down 3 times.
    1) Rightside tank dent from Nov93 (bike was 2 months old); I still didn't have a handle on emergency stops with the hydraulic triple discs, and highsided it not hitting a car that cut me off. (All of my previous bikes had been '60's vintage with cable operated drum brakes.) Mostly my fault.
    2) Left side tank dent from Nov96, passing a motorhome on a mountain road; he didn't want me to pass him for some reason, and intentionally bunted me into the guardrail. Totally his fault.
    3) New rearsets and mufflers from Sep11; lowsided on PCH last July on the way back from Laguna Seca MotoGP. Freak circumstances combined with riding a bit too close to the edge. Mostly my fault.

PhilB
    Any more detail/ending to incident number two?
    I'm generally mellow, but that incident sounds like it calls for a good beatdown of the rv driver, and that's AFTER the lawsuit and attempted murder charges get settled...

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Any more detail/ending to incident number two?
    I'm generally mellow, but that incident sounds like it calls for a good beatdown of the rv driver, and that's AFTER the lawsuit and attempted murder charges get settled...
    And if I had caught him, at least some of that would have happened. But by the time I picked myself up, and the bike, and all my camping gear that was strewn all over the road, he was too long gone. I kept an eye out the rest of the way down the mountain, in case he stopped somewhere, but he didn't.

PhilB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast