Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build

At the end of October I purchased an in-progress 2002 HD Sportster Cafe build.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...0-a-92783.html

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20191002_093556-jpg

At first look it seemed like a pretty easy job to finish off the build as only some wiring really needed to be completed. Figured I might be able to get it on the road before the start of winter for a quick shakedown.

Taking it off the trailer, a few washers and nut fell out, hmm, maybe I'll take a quick look before trying to rush it out. Also, since the clip-on's were on top of the triple and the forks lowered to allow that, I had decided I wanted put the clip-on's below the top triple tree to free up more room for fork travel.

I got the bike on the lift, which was a pain in the ass because the front exhaust pipe sticks ever so slightly below the frame. I had to pull the front exhaust off to get the frame to sit flush on the lift. Raised it up and pulled the front tire off. Went to pull the controls off and started by removing the cables/levers. Got my c-clip tool to pop the non-existent c-clip off the hinge bolt. The hinge bolt for both levers was not secured, hmmm. Well, at this point I decided I'm not going to get this bike out quickly and I am going to have to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 2002 HD Sportster Cafe build

Pulled the forks out and thought about upgrading the springs and putting in some intiminators. Decided that I want to get the bike moving first and then do upgrades. Trying to keep it low cost for the time being to see if it is something I even like at the end of the day. I did change the fork oil out while I was there. It was a bit dirty but not bad at all.

I noticed as I was taking the forks off, the front end was a bit notchy and tight to turn so I decided to check the steering head bearings while the forks were out. Disassembled and cleaned the bearings and races up as they were in fine condition. It seems like the steering stem bolt had just been tightened down extra hard as the scratch marks and concave washer alluded to.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20191103_112133008-jpg2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20191110_104533192-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Got the triples back on and forks installed and put the front wheel back on. As I always do I give the front wheel a spin to see that it spins freely and has no obvious friction. Well now I see a very noticeable dip as the tire is spinning. Rim has a nice bend in it like it has been curb hopped with. I put two an two together and realize the front end had probably been tightened down so tight due the the bend in the rim, lol. Probably thought the front end was loose, not realizing the tire had been damaged.

https://youtu.be/HLTSlowK3LU

So that is where I am at for now. I have mucked around with the rear taillight, but need to find a different one or an adapter because the LED light does not have separate running light and brake wires like the HD wiring has. Still need to figure out where I am going to hide the main headlight/signal harness on the front of the bike, but need to figure out a new headlight first. The current headlight position interferes with the clutch cable too much for my liking, so going to change it out. Also do have a pair of these Burly Brand shocks on order now. The 13" shocks just looked a bit too low for my liking and I think the black/red combo of these will look good.

https://www.burlybrand.com/product/28/stiletto-shocks

Nice, thanks for the updates! Will you be doing anything to raise the rear of it at all? As it sits now, it just looks....awkward?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Nice, thanks for the updates! Will you be doing anything to raise the rear of it at all? As it sits now, it just looks....awkward?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaPod View Post
    Also do have a pair of these Burly Brand shocks on order now. The 13" shocks just looked a bit too low for my liking and I think the black/red combo of these will look good.

https://www.burlybrand.com/product/28/stiletto-shocks

Going with some 15" shocks and maybe a smaller front rim.

Ahhhh...I didn't notice how much that would raise the rear.

Keep them updates comin'!

Well, I'm not sure it's much of an update, but why does some american engineering suck so bad? H-D really needs to up their game in making things easier to access and dismantle, service, etc...

Let's start with the frame jack issue. Admittedly, I realize now I am using a full size bike jack, and with the Sportster they expect you to use a smaller scissor style jack. I also see that I could have put some 2x4's between the frame and my jack to get enough clearance to not have needed to removed the front exhaust header.

Next, I mentioned I had pulled the front end apart and in doing so had removed the headlight to do some cleaning. Got the front end back together and went to install the headlight, but nooo, can't do that when the forks are installed. The basket is too big to fit through the forks and the wiring does not have an easily accessible disconnect. Need to lift the gas tank off which is a chore in itself to get to the disconnect, so screw it, remove the wheel and fork and re-install.

Oh and now let's put the clip-on's on. Wait, these are not Woodcraft clip-on's that someone had put some thought into and made split pieces to assemble without removing the forks. Nope, got to drop the forks out of the triples and install. So let's remove the front wheel and forks again! Hey at least I'm getting experience removing and reinstalling.

So now I want to remove the rear wheel for inspection and grease the axle etc... Well I guess that must mean I need to remove the rear exhaust slip-on and header right? I mean why not? it just makes all the sense in the world to put the exhaust right in front of an 8" axle rod, duh!

So anyway, I am learning the eccentricities of H-D Engineering and none too pleased with it having come from Japanese bikes where it seems a bit more thought goes into the packaging and future servicing of the bikes.

Well, I'm not sure it's much of an update, but why does some american engineering suck so bad? H-D really needs to up their game in making things easier to access and dismantle, service, etc...

Let's start with the frame jack issue. Admittedly, I realize now I am using a full size bike jack, and with the Sportster they expect you to use a smaller scissor style jack. I also see that I could have put some 2x4's between the frame and my jack to get enough clearance to not have needed to removed the front exhaust header.

Next, I mentioned I had pulled the front end apart and in doing so had removed the headlight to do some cleaning. Got the front end back together and went to install the headlight, but nooo, can't do that when the forks are installed. The basket is too big to fit through the forks and the wiring does not have an easily accessible disconnect. Need to lift the gas tank off which is a chore in itself to get to the disconnect, so screw it, remove the wheel and fork and re-install.

Oh and now let's put the clip-on's on. Wait, these are not Woodcraft clip-on's that someone had put some thought into and made split pieces to assemble without removing the forks. Nope, got to drop the forks out of the triples and install. So let's remove the front wheel and forks again! Hey at least I'm getting experience removing and reinstalling.

So now I want to remove the rear wheel for inspection and grease the axle etc... Well I guess that must mean I need to remove the rear exhaust slip-on and header right? I mean why not? it just makes all the sense in the world to put the exhaust right in front of an 8" axle rod, duh!

So anyway, I am learning the eccentricities of H-D Engineering and none too pleased with it having come from Japanese bikes where it seems a bit more thought goes into the packaging and future servicing of the bikes.
    For the jack, I made some 2x4 spacers that will lock into my motorcycle jack and clear the exhaust, but another problem comes up and that is the kickstand. Never came up with a perfect solution, but this works.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    For the jack, I made some 2x4 spacers that will lock into my motorcycle jack and clear the exhaust, but another problem comes up and that is the kickstand. Never came up with a perfect solution, but this works.
    Oh yeah, forgot that little bit of an annoyance too!

So I bought a set of shocks from Amazon Warehouse that someone had returned. Got a good deal at over $120 off retail and $50 less than any other price. All excited when the package came and wouldn't you know it, a box of rocks!

Well not exactly, it was the dirty, greasy, rusted, and dented chrome shorty shocks from whoever had returned them originally. Can't believe whoever inspected those for restocking thought they were the actual product. Ah well, gotta chip another $50 in and get some new ones. Curious to see how this return process goes also.

Hypertarded

Oh yeah, forgot that little bit of an annoyance too!

So I bought a set of shocks from Amazon Warehouse that someone had returned. Got a good deal at over $120 off retail and $50 less than any other price. All excited when the package came and wouldn't you know it, a box of rocks!

Well not exactly, it was the dirty, greasy, rusted, and dented chrome shorty shocks from whoever had returned them originally. Can't believe whoever inspected those for restocking thought they were the actual product. Ah well, gotta chip another $50 in and get some new ones. Curious to see how this return process goes also.
    made me think of this story from earlier this year, you could have ended up with a few pounds of dirt:

https://www.businessinsider.com/22-y...-370000-2019-8

A 22-year-old is accused of scamming Amazon out of nearly $370,000 by sending back boxes weighted with dirt instead of the returned product

According to El Español and El Diario de Mallorca, James Gilbert Kwarteng, 22, of Palma de Mallorca, Spain, is accused of scamming Amazon out of about €300,000, or nearly $370,000.

The reports outlined a method that was surprisingly simple: Order the goods, send back the boxes filled with dirt the same weight as the product, and keep the valuable merch.

Amazon's sales policy is to offer a refund when a customer makes a claim and sends back a package — the issue is that the company doesn't immediately open the packages it receives, the reports said.

The El Español report described Kwarteng and an associate as meticulous, saying that when he received a package, he would place the box on a scale and note its weight, unpack the product, fill the box with dirt until the weight was similar, then later put the item up for sale.

Minor update.

I was able to return the used shocks and get my refund back from Amazon. I put a note in the box in big bold letters to not re-sell the shocks as they are not the product advertised. They appear to be back for sale through Amazon Warehouse though. I would recommend not buying them, lol.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20191204_210709651-jpg

Next, I was working through the wiring of the rear LED tail light. It's an integrated run/brake/turn light all-in-one. The brake portion only has one power wire, so I was having difficulty figuring out how to wire the power for the running light and the power for the brake light through one wire? Having never worked with LED's or single power wire, multi-function lights, I was dumbfounded.

I did a lot of googling and finally found my answer. I needed a resistor/diode set-up which would allow two power sources to merge on one wire. The running light power is reduced by the resistor side of the splice, and the diodes keep the power from each side backfeeding into one another. Pretty nifty, but took me a while to find the solution. I picked up the splices and wiring all ready to go from a storefront called Radiantz. Cost me $10 for two different resistor values to try since I had a free shipping code. So rear light is all set now.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20191224_214819823-jpg

I removed the rear wheel to facilitate installing the new 15" shocks a bit easier. And of course being a Harley I had to remove the rear slip on. Figured if I'm doing that, I might as well remove the rear header as well so I could check the swingarm pivot bolt. Was happy to see it looked fresh and no signs of water infiltration or rust.

I was aware there is the possibility of the longer shocks creating some rubbing concerns for the belt. This turned out to be true and the belt rubs the support for the rear slip-on. There is also the slightest rub on the engine case that I am sure will be alleviated when the bike is off the lift and has weight back on the tire.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20191228_195926918-jpg 2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20191228_195906012-jpg

The question now is, do I carve out the support to make room and weaken the bracket? or do I buy a different exhaust system? If I buy a different exhaust, is it going to work with the rearsets I have on currently, or will it need new rearsets? hmmmm... I see the $$ signs adding up slowly but surely.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

if it helps, the footpegs look like stock location mid controls for a sporty.
    also, you could always eliminate the exhaust issue by changing style. 2 Bros makes a 2->1 exhaust that mounts in a fairly standard location or you could go high mount

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

The question now is, do I carve out the support to make room and weaken the bracket? or do I buy a different exhaust system? If I buy a different exhaust, is it going to work with the rearsets I have on currently, or will it need new rearsets? hmmmm... I see the $$ signs adding up slowly but surely.
    I would just make some clearance on the bracket, or if you're really concerned about the strength of it make a new bracket.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

So been a few things progressing since the last update. I had to modify the stock controls a little bit with the dremel to allow the wiring to come out without crimping against the bar since the bar is not dimpled. Didn't realize the Harley controls are actually some kind of metal, always thought they were just plastic with chrome. Had to cut a relief hole in the bottom of the control as you can see in the pic.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200102_203804096-jpg2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200102_233923217-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200102_203804096-jpg  

Last edited by PeaPod; 02-08-20 at 09:44 PM.

After pulling things apart, I have come to the realization this bike has been "I had to lay 'er down"ed at some point, lol. So many things point to this that I cannot deny it. First the front tire that was bent, then I removed the air filter and found the top half of it crushed for some reason.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200102_210316927-jpg

I had to get into the fuse box at some point and noticed this bent in tab.
    2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200104_214006357-jpg

Also the left side engine case has a red sealant that is visible and flaking off around it that none of the other case components has. I was wondering about that from the beginning but now it makes sense. Was probably replaced at some point. Luckily, it seems these frames are built like a brick shithouse so hopefully shouldn't have any problems.

Started to get in the wiring for the front to clean it up a little. I did not go for the ultra clean look and was just aiming to get it in a spot to be able to ride. I am not super ecstatic about the final product, but without doing a total re-wire it is what I end up with. I might get back into it at some point if I decide I really like the bike and want to keep it and clean it up.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200112_192133695-jpg

Found a nice red/black wire wrap to go over the main harness, just for looks.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200112_205752361-jpg

Unfortunately, have not figured out a better way to hide the connectors and leave enough slack to turn the bars other than this or re-wiring.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200208_220549882-jpg

Most of the main harness is hidden, but the wire cover coordinates with the overall theme.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200208_220606036-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PeaPod; 02-08-20 at 10:51 PM.

I wish you were closer to me. I'd love to get my hands dirty and fuck around with that with you!

Lookin good rob! Dont tell joe you have a Harley he will be over there in a second to start touching stuff hahaha

I finally sorted out the turn signal flash issue. In the course of updating, LED lighting was added. This caused the turn signals to not flash. I tried a load resistor, but did not work. So I did some research and found these LED flasher units which hook up in-line and work. You have to hook them up at the output of the Harley flasher box, not near the signal itself. Still have a ways to go before getting this thing on the road, but moving in the right direction.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200318_211427172-jpg2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200318_211449785-jpg

Any new updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Any new updates?
    Kind of. I've been going back and forth on the exhaust and/or rearsets needed due to the taller shock set-up. The current rearsets don't allow me to run the stock exhaust or the DanMoto low mount exhaust I picked up. The low mount exhaust interferes with the brake pedal and I cannot come up with a work around. Pic of the low mount exhaust mocked up attached.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200501_074445421-jpg

I also searched around online and found a solution to the belt rubbing on the frame due to the taller shocks. Basically a skate wheel or pulley wheel works along with a bolt and some steel spacers. Unfortunately, you loose the stock exhaust bracket mount with this set-up. I guess it does not matter since the stock exhaust does not work with these rearsets and shock setup.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200426_180514983-jpg

Parts needed for roller assembly.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200426_184655503_hdr-jpg

Cut down plastic hose adapter to act as a bushing.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200426_184729450-jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Bolt and pulley with bushing.

2002 HD Sportster Cafe build-img_20200426_184826644-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast