Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 and newer VFR owners, How do you like em.

I am driving myself nuts over what bike to get next (I know nice problem to have). I have looked at alot of bikes and they are all so good thats it's tough to decide. I keep coming back to the VFR though. It gets great press for the most part, its really cool looking (to me), Honda quality, I have an old Accord and newer Acura CL and they are great cars. It seems really comfortable in the showroom. I like to do long rides in search of twisty roads and it seems like it would be easy on my middle aged back and still reward my teenaged brain whence I got to the twisties.
    Other bikes on my list are, CBR 1100 (not sure if it is as versatile), FZ1 (cheaper and faster not sure about comfort) or the FJR 1300 (alot more money but supposed to be a very sporty sport tourer).
    I know this is a longish post but we all know what its like trying to decide how to spend our money I would like my next bike to last me 5 years or so before I either get tired of it or wear it out.
    Thanks for your time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    No I don't claim to have Mad skills on a bike it's just a dumb username

i just recently looked at the VFR myself- drooled over it for a good 15 minutes at the dealership. I don't know that much about it- but from what I've heard- it's a great bike- great engine and will hit the twisties w/ the best of 'em. Good luck

Lifer

I got an 02 leftover at the beginning of June. I've got 5200 miles on it right now.

I like it a lot.. if there is anything specific you want to know I can probably answer it.

Basically it's not a total supersport, if you want to do wheelies, etc.. it wouldn't be the right bike, but it's certainly capable of keeping up on any group ride, the handling won't let you down, and it's fast enough to get you in trouble.

But at the same time it's a great bike to ride on trips. I've done lots of trips on it this summer, more than I did in the past on my SV650. If you want to travel a long way and then have a blast once you get there, it is a great bike.

From reading sport-touring forums, compared to the VFR (which seems to be insanely popular out west):

- CBR1100XX - bigger, heavier, much faster/torquier, doesn't handle quite as well
    - FZ1 - bigger/faster/sporty - probably doesn't tour quite as well due to the 1/2 fairing.
    - FJR1300 - bigger/faster/more comfy - definitely doesn't handle as well as the others (ground clearance/weight/suspension)

The FJR generally seems to get grouped in as a sport-TOURER, while these others get categorized as SPORT-tourer.

Of these 4, only the VFR and the FJR have matching bags from the factory.

Ben

Originally posted by benSV

Of these 4, only the VFR and the FJR have matching bags from the factory.

That makes all the difference....
    If you aint got matchin bags you got nothin

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

Well thanks all for the responses,
    benSV, I hear ya from all the reports I've read the VFR seems like the bike to have for Real Riding, i.e. covering ground and tearing through the turns. Wheelies are fun and all but hardly a priority to me anymore, besides anything with a clutch can get the front wheel up.
    How does that V-tech system seem to work? Our Acura CL has it and if it wasn't spelled out on the valve covers you wouldn't know any better, except that the car hauls ass. Also I understand valve adjustments are at 16,000 mi. intervals. What was the mileage for the initial after break-in service? Did this consist of a valve adjustment? And if so how much did that cost or were you able to get the dealer to give it to you as part of the sale? From talking to shop mechanics the 16,000 mi. services are fairly time consuming but seeing as how they are at that interval it shouldn't be that bitter of a pill to swallow. I should get 1.5-2 years between services.
    So overall you seem pretty pleased huh? Thats good to hear, whats one thing you wish they had done differentley? Also whats up with that opening under the windshield in front does that help or hurt the turbulence? As far as factory fit hard bags go they are nice but they cost a grand! I think Corbin Beetle Bags are cheaper than that, as it is I already have a set of Tourmasters that are great.
    Thanks again for your time.

Lifer

I negotiated the bags as part of the price of the bike. They wanted to be able to put down the full price of the bags on the bill of sale but they reduced the price of the bike. I had tourmaster bags and got rid of them, the hardbags are almost 2x as big and just work so much better. They don't rub on anything, they mount securely, they lock and they're waterproof. I like the look of the corbin bags on the older VFRs but the ones for this one look like ass compared to the stock ones IMO. The bike is angular and then the corbin bags look like jelly blobs and just totally don't fit the looks of the bike. (The stock bags are Givi)

The VTEC just kicks in around 7k RPM. If you're accelerating hard through 7k rpm you don't really feel anything, if you're kind of lazily letting the engine spin up it will feel like a little kick. It's a little disconcerting and some people complain about it but it doesn't seem to upset the handling if you're leaned over.

I haven't had a valve adjustment, the 600 mi service may have involved a check but it wasn't overly expensive. Basically it sounds like they have to do some nonsense where they check the 2-valve setup, and then stick in a tool that locks the VTEC on and then they check/adjust it again, and they have to remove/reinstall the cams several times to do so. Lots of people seemed to complain about it but the people who have had it done don't seem to have said it was that expensive. The upside is the 2 valves that only run above 7k rpm don't seem to ever go out of adjustment since they don't operate all the time. I know someone who got one last year and I think has about 20,000 miles on it, I'll ask him about when I get a chance.

The opening in the windshield seems to be there to smooth out the airflow over the top of the windshield. I'm quite happy with the way the screen works. I was wondering what it would be like to try a double-bubble screen, but if it messes up that opening I'm not sure it would be better. As it is I can sit up straight up to about 95mph without tucking in, and the wind won't really batter me around. The overall design of the fairing seems to work really well in the rain or bad weather. You really stay warm. (On the flipside the bike is uncomfortable above 80 degrees. Gotta wear a mesh suit in those conditions)

Ben

Thanks again benSv for your feedback,
    All very positive comments in favor of the VFR. Don't get me wrong either I am sure hard bags are a huge improvement over the Tourmasters I am just in shock at the price. Also I checked out the Corbin site and those bags, cases whatever don't really keep with the whole sport look.

Honda's service manual calls for 5 hours to do the valves---you do the math.

POWER?????

How would you compare the power compared to a 600 sport bike? I am tossing between this bike and a 2003 R6. How is the mid range tourque/pull. I am thinking this bike would be a great
    middle ground between a pure sport and a bigger sport/TOURER
    But i want the pull of a new 600 sport bike, if not better. What are your thoughts on the braking system of this bike as well

'03 VFR SILVER

I am the Plate, Step Up to Me

Lifer

I haven't gotten a 600 out on the street long enough to really rip on it, so...

Based purely on stats the VFR is slightly slower in straight line acceleration than a 600. Like 1/4-1/2 second.

It's torque curve is apparently much wider though. You could look at dyno graphs to get an idea.

It's a very different bike than an R6 though!

Ben

different

Yeah, really different, but i would like the touring characteristics
    and would be more apt to go on a 400 mile run than on an R6.
    I was just curious about the passing speeds, not top end runs.
    I realize it's heavier and down on HP to the R6 (approx 5 hp) but
    it is a v-twin, so the torque will be there. Any thoughts??

'03 VFR SILVER

Lifer

Against the R6 the VFR is making something like 20-25hp more in the midrange, so yes it would probably be better if you want to be cruising down the highway and pass a car without downshifting. Starting at like 11000rpm the R6 is making more power.

It's not a V-twin by the way, it's a V-Four. If you really want a big midrange look at a V-Twin.

If you like to mod your bikes the VFR apparently will pick up quite a bit of torque/hp if you gut the cat and put an aftermarket exhaust + power commander on. It has a really restrictive exhaust + lean tuning to meet the California 2008 emissions standards.

Ben

oops

Yeah,....... i meant v-four
    But thanks
    The mid range HP is what i was looking for
    I didn't realize it would be that big of a difference
    Exactly what i need. I want the passing power
    with out having to drop a gear or two to bring the rpm's screamin. Although i love doing that.
    I am still undecided, i have a couple good years left in my back (32 years young)
    So a pure sport is still in the mix. Maybe get some bar risers (GenMar) and a Double Bubble windscreen to soften it up a little

'03 VFR SILVER

Hey good to see the thread gaining more Q+A. So Ben How do you like those linked brakes?
    And Cexley check your thread on riders in Eastern CT.

INSURANCE!!!!!!

The R6 is almost double the Insurance
    That'll help in my descision process......
    Now i am really stuck.
    VFR costs more, but the R6 has really high insurance
    For the life of the loan, it's a wash
    But after, the R6 will continue to rape me.....OUCH!!!!!!

'03 VFR SILVER

Lifer

Holy shit that's a shocker with the insurance!

If you look around... there are absolutely 0 squids riding VFRs... probably has a ton to do with it. I pay like $75 more than my SV650. (Something like $1000 for 12 months - no winter garaging - not a terribly good rate)

I have heard that if you're on the track and you're braking hard with the front only + downshifting hard while on the brake (i.e. you're really fucking good) you will have trouble with the rear getting squirelly more than you would would with conventional brakes.

I wasn't good enough to be downshifting and braking all at the same time when I went to the track last year. We'll see if I figure it out this coming track day and get annoyed by the brakes.

It's no secret they don't use linked brakes on racebikes, or any of the race replica sportbikes. However, I do think if you're just riding at a casual street pace and you need to use both brakes *with the clutch pulled in* the linked system makes it harder to lock the rear.

Ben

The VTEC just kicks in around 7k RPM. If you're accelerating hard through 7k rpm you don't really feel anything, if you're kind of lazily letting the engine spin up it will feel like a little kick. It's a little disconcerting and some people complain about it but it doesn't seem to upset the handling if you're leaned over.
    I don't know why Honda switched to VTEC. One intake/exhaust valve open below 7K, all 4 are open above 7k. I imagine it could boost low end torque/HP, guess I will have to compare dyno charts. Personally, I like the pre-2002 VFRs, and as Motorcyclist stated, they thought the 1998 models were better overall.

Great article, sport rider:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0204_int_vtec/

14" Biceps. So what if I am weak...

Honda's service manual calls for 5 hours to do the valves---you do the math.
    That is the price of VTEC, they don't use shims (= 5 hour adjustment). Many earlier motorcycles didn't use shims either, but most newer motorcycles do.

Horsepower VFR comparison to a 600:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...vfr6rdyno.html

Lifer

According to someone I know who has 34k on his 02, the 16k valve adjust was $360.

I don't know, check what it is on other bikes. It was something like $280 on my SV, but the adjustment interval was shorter.

Ben

Everybody to the limit!

VFRs aren't shim under bucket? What are they?

For what it's worth, the mid 90's VFR's are wunna my absolute favorite bikes of all time. I'm working on a deal on a '95 as we speak...

And Ben! You can't wheelie a VFR??? Can I take it for a spin?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by jsven007
    I don't know why Honda switched to VTEC. One intake/exhaust valve open below 7K, all 4 are open above 7k.
    From what I understand of VTEC, that's exactly what they're doing, boosting low end torque without sacrificing top end. At low RPMs your torque is mainly dependent on port velocity, you've got plenty of time to get your fuel into the cylinder but without high port velocity your fuel doesn't atomize well so you lose torque and waste gas as you're not combusting as efficiently.

But at high rpms your valves aren't open for very long, so you need lots of port size to get enough fuel/air mixture into the cylinders and get the exhaust gases out, otherwise you're starved for fuel and lose top end.

So the ideal engine has small ports at low rpms, and large ports at high rpms. But as far as I know noone has been able to design continuously variable port sizes. Honda can achieve a good compromise by using 4 small valves (rather than 2 large valves), and shutting two off at low rpms. You get your port velocity at low rpms because you've got smaller valves (port velocity increases as you shrink the port size, kind like sticking your thumb in a garden hose), but when you need lots of flow at high rpms to get top end power, all the valves are on and it's there.

Did I get this right? I'm not an ME or an engine expert, I just like reading about how things work...

Lifer

I believe the 2 non-VTEC valves (that run all the time) still use shims. The other 2 use something else.

I can pull a wheelie. I suck at it though.. (don't practice it either) All I meant was it's a stupid bike to get if you wanna be a mad stunna. Lots of other bikes at the same price or less would be better.

Ben

cold weather

I commute to work on my M/C
    And the morning rides are getting chilly
    I do not wear riding pants for commuting (Dress pants)
    How well does the fairing keep the air off of the legs
    compared to a regular sport bike, if any different

'03 VFR SILVER

From what I understand of VTEC, that's exactly what they're doing, boosting low end torque without sacrificing top end. At low RPMs your torque is mainly dependent on port velocity, you've got plenty of time to get your fuel into the cylinder but without high port velocity your fuel doesn't atomize well so you lose torque and waste gas as you're not combusting as efficiently.
    Oddly enough, the 2001 and 2002 VFRs have almost exactly the same power curve:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdaily...02vfrdyno.html

Makes me wonder if VTEC is just a gimmick, a fancy acronym to impress buyers.

http://news.motorcycle.com/article.m...rder=0&thold=1

I don't know, check what it is on other bikes. It was something like $280 on my SV, but the adjustment interval was shorter.
    Bettencourts charged $200 even for an CBR1100xx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast