Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

2005 Yamaha FZ6

Re: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Behold! The floating motorcycle!

2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210829_164412487-jpg

New hoops have been mounted, courtesy of Souhegan Valley Motorsports. (Pretty nice of them to squeeze me in on a Saturday!)

PO also handed me an additional box of bits after cleaning their garage, which included the center stand.

Time to drop the forks, clean those up then install new dust and oil seals.

Some other details include reinstalling the factory license plate/ fender, fixing a few wiring issues and unfortunately replacing the battery as the existing one could not be saved.

Edit:. Almost forgot, there is a PC III that came with the bike. Will there be any benefit to installing it?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 08-29-21 at 04:02 PM.

Install it, get the bike custom mapped, should be smoother overall, possibly gain a pony or two.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Behold! The floating motorcycle!

2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210829_164412487-jpg

New hoops have been mounted, courtesy of Souhegan Valley Motorsports. (Pretty nice of them to squeeze me in on a Saturday!)
    SVM is the best. I wish I had tire elves too.
    This beast looks like it's getting pretty close to road ready, can't wait to see it go! We should plan a NESR street ride some time, I would love to meet more of you.

It will be ready just in time to winterize and put it away. Lol

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

The boat hasn't sold so technically I am violating my peace treaty with the Mrs. I made it through the tire swaps and fork oil purchase fairly clean so it's time to lay low for a while.

Spent some time looking into the electrical tonight and it was interesting but not horrible. Dug into some turn signal mods for the baller Rizoma fronts and the classic Lockhart Phillips teardropish shaped low profile rears.

The extra fun was with the Clear Alternatives taillight and its own integrated signals that were also tapped into the circuit...in addition to the twin license plate LEDs that could not be uninstalled unless wires were snipped.

All on its way to being sorted.

There's a challenge on how to handle the fronts as the headlight/gauge cluster/turn signals are all mounted to a very custom angle iron frame which is hung off the forks by a halfway decent clamp assembly.

Headlight assy is from a Buell Lightning. I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

In all this however the main harness is miraculously completely intact.

Up next, forks!

Forks are done. Needed a little heat for one of the lower fork bolts but all things considered, an otherwise straightforward servicing.

2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210902_102353621-jpg

Also cleaned up the brake caliper slides, removed the wheel pinstripes (as well as all the wonderful adhesive), hung the wheels, installed front fender and started working on this hot mess....

2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210902_204015943-jpg

I believe I have a solution that will simplify that entire assembly as well as clean up the appearance in general. Hopefully finish the mockup tomorrow.

Making progress

2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210903_023445419-jpg

In other news, Mrs B………………………ordered the battery?!?

Almost there! Got the brackets arranged so the headlight and windscreen can be mounted. Need to add two bolts so the headlight mount stays in place and that should do it for the lighting.

Just need to figure out how to mount the gauge cluster.

2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210905_114632511-jpg

I'm thinking I'll fab up a couple small brackets for the two top perches. The tough part is how to secure the bottom perches as I want a steeper angle for the gauges.

For that I envision one piece of narrow aluminum that runs across the fork mounts and bolts to the fork mounts. Gonna be a fair amount of bending to get that to work as intended but I feel like that's the way to go while making a solid mounting point.

Definitely open to suggestions

2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210905_114854855-jpg

"Never let perfection stand in the way of progress."

Had to make a few concessions regarding the gauge mounting. While it's a much better arrangement than the PO's stacked washers and nuts for spacers, the angle iron bracket will be in place for now. It's solid and works well, it's just an eyesore. Realistically I'll end up not caring about it after a few rides.

Also, I spoke too soon about the main harness. It was lightly modified for the Buell headlight assy, license plate light and the turn signals. I wasn't noticing those details upon disassembly.

So, battery, wiring for turn signals and license plate light, flush fluids, insurance, register, ride!

Sounds like someone is trying to get ready for a ride coming up? Perhaps in NH? Perhaps on September 19th?

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Perhaps

"Never let perfection stand in the way of progress."

Had to make a few concessions regarding the gauge mounting. While it's a much better arrangement than the PO's stacked washers and nuts for spacers, the angle iron bracket will be in place for now. It's solid and works well, it's just an eyesore. Realistically I'll end up not caring about it after a few rides.

Also, I spoke too soon about the main harness. It was lightly modified for the Buell headlight assy, license plate light and the turn signals. I wasn't noticing those details upon disassembly.

So, battery, wiring for turn signals and license plate light, flush fluids, insurance, register, ride!

What about a 3D printed bracket for the gauge cluster? Wouldn't need much material to make it and should be relatively easy to design. Angle iron works for now but could be a fun side project in the future!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

That would work out nicely and I agree, fairly easy to design. Since 3d printers are a bit outside of my wheelhouse, are there any recommendations on who or where I could submit a drawing?

Anyone know if the ECU will throw a code when the air pump is bypassed?

That would work out nicely and I agree, fairly easy to design. Since 3d printers are a bit outside of my wheelhouse, are there any recommendations on who or where I could submit a drawing?
    I use www.xometry.com for all the stuff I get done for work. When it comes time that you want to do it lmk. I could help with modeling it and getting it quoted. Also with material selection and picking the correct printing process for the material you're using and the application.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Well, I'm kinda glad the left handlebar control pod was a bitch to disconnect. Seems Yamaha liked to stuff a crap ton of the harness inside the frame behind the steering neck, between the battery box and frame.

Being that I was unable to fish the connector out of the frame for the left side controls, I decided to pull the tank, air box and battery box to gain access. Found the airbox barely attached to the intakes so, a sort of blessing in disguise but several steps backwards unfortunately.

This bike has been interesting to work on. On one hand, it's amazing that it sat for nearly 8 years in the elements and is as clean as it is with hardly any rust or UV damage. On the other hand, I'm even more amazed at the selection of hardware the PO used in order to put the bike back together. I mean, I get that it was tipped over at some point in time but damn, at least put some kind of effort into reusing the factory hardware!

2 steps forward, 20 steps back.

Engine doesn't stay running suddenly. It'll start up and idle but eventually engine speed will taper down to stalling.

It bogs with mostly any throttle input and barely responds to a constant 10%ish throttle. I can get the revs to come up but it's with a lot of rapid throttle twists and it takes some coaxing to bring it up

Everything is back (and has been back) to stock now and I'm thinking I must have caused this when I bypassed the AIS so I put everything back together as normal. Nothing appears out of place, no vacuum leaks that I can see, no CEL so I'm a bit confused.

TPS checked out fine and I can only assume the coils are good still as there aren't any misfires that I can hear.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Edit:. Answer might be related to the fuel pump o-ring

https://www.600riders.com/threads/fi...nt-idle.36681/

Last edited by butcher bergs; 09-17-21 at 06:07 PM.

My R6 was doing that on stands, cleaned up when I actually got it under load at the track. Don't have a good explanation for why, I went through the fuel system, valves, leak down tests, etc, no smoking guns.

I know dick about these...
    It's carbed, correct?

Sounds similar to a fuel pump thing I chased for a while on the CBR.
    I could do almost 1 lap of NHMS. Bike would die coming out of T12.
    Wouldn't restart for a while (will the FZ restart after it dies?).
    Fuel pump would be warm.

I couldn't reproduce in the haddock (fuel pump was providing enough fuel under no load, but not enough under load).

I have one of https://smile.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-...-no-redirect=1 hanging around if you want to try it. You should be able to take the fuel pump out of the equation and just put fuel in this thing and hang it over the bike to see if it is a fuel pressure issue. Gravity should give you enough fuel pressure to run things.

It's fuel infected.

The issue seems to be exactly as described in the link from my previous post so I'll likely empty the tank and check out the fuel pump o-ring.

Any idea on the type of material for that o-ring? Viton perhaps?

Whatever it ends up being, the timing on this issue couldn't have been more coincidental after bypassing the AIS.

Even if it's not Viton, I don't think you'd go wrong putting Viton back in it.

Are there sources for the factory pigtails for things such as the turn signals? Both sides, bike harness and turn signal

@typeone has a vendor that I believe can make pretty much any factory connector/pigtail assembly you might need I believe.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Are there sources for the factory pigtails for things such as the turn signals? Both sides, bike harness and turn signal
    Yep, just search Amazon/eBay/Google for “Yamaha turn signal connectors” you’ll find a bunch.

Also, the Fz6 forum is www.600riders.com, there’s still a lot of activity there and a lot of knowledge you can search for.

I'll look into those options.

Thank you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123