Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2005 Yamaha FZ6

2005 Yamaha FZ6

Haven't had a bike of my own for a quite a while now but I was in the right place and time and just scored a 2005 FZ6 at a price that would make even timmyduck blush!

It has been sitting outside for several years so there's a fair amount of UV damage, the chain is pretty crusty and I'm sure the tires are questionable but it's a complete bike that stands the chance of not requiring too much in order to get it going again.

If the engine and electronics are all good, I see immediate needs of a set of fork dust seals, chain/ sprockets and likely tires, plus a full servicing of the brakes, etc.

The taillight shows excessive UV damage so that is also on the list for replacement.

Might try today to see if it fires up.

Who has the best deals on parts and tires these days?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Re: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

I use Ronnie's for parts for various bikes -- good service from western MA, 15% off OEM prices IIRC --

https://www.ronniesmailorder.com/

... and I shoulda kept the FZ6 I had a few years ago, got it from a NESRian, sold it on NER. The underseat/tail exhaust makes for comfy cold weather riding.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 03-19-21 at 08:37 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Would you like an sw motech rack for it?

I have a 2005 in the garage as well. Great bike. Revs to the moon. Make sure you grease the head bearings.

I used partszilla when ordering parts for my 07 R1. OEM parts at about 30% off dealer prices and delivered to your door.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Congrats, Paul.

You know... there is a new street bike class at Loudon... haha

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Sorry, just got a semi thinking about Bergs taking the inside line away from someone on an fz6. Lol

Who has that picture...

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

This bike is a long way from being ridden, Sam, but I've certainly heard about the street bike class at NHMS.

Tried to get the engine fired up on Sunday and ran into a few things...

The engine does turn over however the dashboard goes berserk whenever the starter button is pressed and I did not hear the fuel pump priming.

Also discovered the fuel cap lock was seized but that has since been loosened up using my proprietary blend of PB Blaster and penetrating oil. I couldn't decide which to use so I hit it with both and the lock worked free in about 7hrs. LOL

Judging by the rodent nest that was in the airbox, I'm going to guess there's an issue somewhere in the wire harness.

Odometer shows mileage in the 6,000 range, I didn't look that close but it's definitely 6,xxx.

Missing center stand, passenger pegs and several bits of hardware but so far it appears to be intact for the most part.

Seems there's a different shock (R6?) as the parts box contains the original shock and also a Power Commander for my future domination of the LRRS Street Class.

I think I have a rear shock for this bike. I had an 08, and I seem to remember a CBR fully adjustable rear being a bolt in swap.

Maybe the battery is toast. That will mess with your electrical. Don't forget to look for acorns in the exhaust.

LRRS/CCS #66

After a desulfate and slow charge, the battery seems to be okay. I did try with a different battery and it was still the same symptoms.

Spent some time with it today and quickly found a blown fuse for the ECU.

I added a bunch of Sea Foam to the 3 tablespoons of fuel that's currently in the tank and that's been soaking since Sunday. Hopefully the fuel pump isn't gummed to hell

Welp, it appears the fuel pump is dead.

Replaced the ECU fuse, tried to start it a couple times and nothing. There's voltage at the plug for the pump so it seems there's more work to do.

Anyone have experience with a company called the Fuel Pump Factory in California?

$390 for an OEM pump
    $70 plus shipping for and FPF pump

I replaced the pump in mine for much cheaper. Let me check my notes.

Used this one off ebay. QUANTUM HFP-382-Y. Works fine. It's interesting. Looks like the whole auto industry uses the same exact pump. Here's a video of a ford fuel pump. The raptor uses a pair of them. I'm guessing one company makes 10's of millions of these per year. Edit I just watched this video from FPF (I would buy from them). They don't show transferring the o-ring. Maybe I screwed up and moved the o-ring to the other side. It's been a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUKszxbdxf8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-HFP...p/233047129816

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjNbiR2U6ws

When I replaced the fuel pump in 2003 r1, I used that California fuel pump company I think. Same exact pump as above.

Last edited by jimmycapp; 03-17-21 at 07:29 AM.

Pull the pump out of the tank and see if you can hear it running by connecting a positive and negative wire off the battery.

LRRS/CCS #66

They're pretty loud in the tank. You should be able to tell just cycling the kill switch.

The entire pump assembly needs to come out regardless. The fuel level sensor is reporting empty and that's not truly the case. I'll see about putting some voltage to the pump directly once the pump assy is removed.

Just replace it. I was able to get my r1 pump to turn after a couple hits from the battery. Doesn’t mean it’s not going to get stuck after a week or two of sitting.

I wouldn't keep the failed pump. I'm wanting to see if I can get the engine to fire up as the bike sits now, without throwing money at it.

There might also be a major issue inside the tank as I saw a small chunk of rusty metal flake when I started sloshing some fuel around. I'm very concerned that the tank flange at the fuel pump might not be in the best condition

Worked on removing the fuel pump tonight and it's not looking good for the entire assembly. The plastic seems fine, it's the bits that fit inside that are toast.

Both sets of wires inside the housing broke off in some way due to metal fatigue and the fuel level gauge is in rough shape..... actually the whole assembly is in rough shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210318_224726023-jpg   2005 Yamaha FZ6-img_20210318_222254807-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Worked on removing the fuel pump tonight and it's not looking good for the entire assembly. The plastic seems fine, it's the bits that fit inside that are toast.

Both sets of wires inside the housing broke off in some way due to metal fatigue and the fuel level gauge is in rough shape..... actually the whole assembly is in rough shape.
    That happened with a 636 that I brought back to life. Replaced the pump and rewired it. Worked great after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post

That happened with a 636 that I brought back to life. Replaced the pump and rewired it. Worked great after that.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Nasty

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quite a selection of used tanks on eBay ... if you need to go that route ...

And don't believe everything you think.

Miraculously, the tank is in great shape still. Once I pulled the pump assy out, I was unable to see where that rusty metal chunk might have come from. I'm going to use my borescope to have a closer look but right now it seems there's no issue with the condition of the tank.

As far as the pump assy, once it's all cleaned up, I may go the same route smutty did and just rewire the connectors.
    Hopefully I can get the fuel level sensor freed up enough to be useful then it's just a matter of ordering a new pump.

Disassembled the pump and had everything soaking in Simple Green. The remaining fuel sludge is easily brushed off now.

The pump is definitely toast and I believe the "rust flake" that I mentioned was a piece of the pump filter that broke off. The material is completely compromised and chunks are missing.

I will likely have an FPF pump on order by Monday and, rather than deal with crimping new pins, I'm considering soldering the broken wires directly to their respective connection points inside the pump housing for the pump and fuel level sensor...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast