Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

2006 Daytona Track-day Build

rrrright down by da beach island boyeee's Avatar

Re: 2006 Daytona Track-day Build

welp, I was doing some daydreaming on my ride to work today... and I think it's time I order me some new triples. No sense holding off on the final piece to complete the puzzle.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    08 Triumph Daytona 675, Jet Black w/ Gold
    dirty bike: 2015 KTM 250 XC-F

Quote Originally Posted by island boyeee View Post
    welp, I was doing some daydreaming on my ride to work today... and I think it's time I order me some new triples. No sense holding off on the final piece to complete the puzzle.
    I mean, I've owned the bike a month and only ridden it once...yet every single sign (except triumph675.net) has immediately directed me to purchasing the triples. I without a doubt say do it, not even having them in my possession yet.

Sadly, I think Triumph675 is full of people that bought the bike thinking it was a super amazing race bike because it sat tall and had low bars...I'll admit I was in that boat when I first got my daytona street bike many moons ago. They don't want to admit to its faults and toss up the coin to fix them. I know I am completely over generalizing, and that there are tons of fast guys on that website (most of which who own the attack triples), but the info from the known fast guys and suspension gurus trumps that of the street riders on that board.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I mean, I've owned the bike a month and only ridden it once...yet every single sign (except triumph675.net) has immediately directed me to purchasing the triples. I without a doubt say do it, not even having them in my possession yet.
    The problem with most forums is that most people are idiots. Here is a gem of a post from PK (whom I've never met) bringing the tech to help Sav:

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    Sav, this guy is wrong with every statement.

Getting right down to business......... Lets keep the issue clear: No Pre Load is adjustable with the K-tecks. Yes they are, 12 mm socket.

The wonderful folks at K-tek, found a market niche for SV's and Ninjas. We all love buying these new and second hand. But remember, our suspensions are 1970's design. Actually the 40's.

So.......... Could you drop the ktecks in? Yes. No, some machining is required.

Could you figure out your spring rate within 5 kg/mm? Probably. 5 KG???? How about 0.05. And they have rates from .70 through 1.20 in .05 Kg/mm increments. That makes for 11 rates in 0.05 kg/mm increments and over 22 if you split rate (use a .95/1.0 to get a .975) in 0.025 Kg/mm increments.

If you think you can work with the 5 different spring rates offered by K-teck: Go For It! I strongly suggest you figure out what Sag your looking to achieve, prior to purchase as the spring rates in this setup will determine your sag. Their is no pre-load adjustment. This is NEVER the way to select a spring rate.

Also, Food For thought: Our tubes are narrow as compared to any USD fork, Really? EX 650 and SV's have 41 mm stantion tubes. Same as: R6 06+, GSXR 600 06+, GSXR 750 06+, ZX 6R 03+, CBR 600RR 05+, Triumph 675 06+, and dozens of others from 1991 through 2015. The inverted fork front ends get their rigidity from two areas. First is the increased clamping area of the triple clamps. Conventional forks have the same diameter top and bottom and is the same as the fork stantion diameter (41/41) inverted clamp diameters are more like 50-52 top and 52-56 bottom. Also the tube wall thickness has a tremendous impact as well. I can tell you (with out naming names) that in the heyday of the Supersport wars, certain factory teams had several wall thicknesses to choose from at the track.

and having a compression damper in one side and a rebound damper in the other side may contribute to Fork Twist..... I'll be brief about this one, pure unadulterated bullshit. Well unless you are using a wooden stick for an axle, then yes, it will.

Since I have not personally tested, installed, raced or even experienced this product, many of us would be interested in your success and write up. Pictures Please! Woot Woot This is typical of the internet experts. No experience with a product or service, no expertise in the field, and not even a test ride, but "here is everything wrong with xxxx." And this is where I get my cynicism from.
    That came from this thread here on NESR. The last paragraph is the most important, and frustrating, one.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The last paragraph is the most important, and frustrating, one.
    I am actually doing exactly that, ha!

Haha, you kind of are! I actually never turned a wheel on track before getting the triples. I did ride it on the street and could tell it was just too nimble to be stable while pushing it on track. I had decided to get the triples before I bought the bike based on my research. Filtering through the BS is not easy. Having set up a few different bikes in the past helped a lot though.

Now I bought a Hyperstrada and all the punters online say the suspension sucks cause it's non adjustable. It has impressed me with it's versatility. And everyone else who has ridden it has been surprised how well it works. I'm not touching it.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

Now I bought a Hyperstrada
    You did?

I thought you were track/dirt only.

I was...

Paul_E_D

Well, at least I have my tense right.

Hahaa, I've had it about a month. Coming up on 1k miles. I love this thing. Soooo comfy, quick, nimble, and downright practical!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Hahaa, I've had it about a month. Coming up on 1k miles. I love this thing. Soooo comfy, quick, nimble, and downright practical!
    That's what a bicycle is for! Well, maybe cross out comfy.

Granted, I only have a 4.5 mile commute.

My commute is less than a mile. I don't even crack out the bicycle.

So far I use this bike for getting groceries, going to town for dinner, going to visit family in the berkshires, and backroad touring. I have done a little highway and city riding as well. It seems to straddle these lines quite well and is fun in all settings. I haven't taken it offroad yet, but I hear it's pretty capable on dirt roads.

It's not truly a highway bike, but it is the most long distance friendly bike I have owned to date. Fits me like a glove.

Paul_E_D

Damn, TJ quoted me $800 for the GP clamps... How do I get that extra $50??

Quote Originally Posted by island boyeee View Post
    Damn, TJ quoted me $800 for the GP clamps... How do I get that extra $50??
    I probably bought the last set of the mis-matched colors

Just dropped the bike and the new triples off with Kates.

Getting the bike measured, geometry optimized, front clickers fixed, and a spring for the rear shock. Can't wait to see the improvements.

In the mean time I'm going to do some work on the bodywork. The factory silver paint on the tank is still good and the tail is matched, so I think I'm just going to match the sides and lower. DIY job. Probably add some simple black accents to it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In the mean time I'm going to do some work on the bodywork. The factory silver paint on the tank is still good and the tail is matched, so I think I'm just going to match the sides and lower. DIY job. Probably add some simple black accents to it.
    Paint it to match the Venge. That thing looks sweet.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Paint it to match the Venge. That thing looks sweet.
    Ha, I mean. It really does. It would be easier to match the color scheme of your bike though.

Or I could match our Zipcar colors...maybe I can talk them into sponsoring my track day habit as well. Shit, that would be awesome.

Couple more questions:

When I dropped my bike off, Kates told me my next modification should be clip-ons so I don't crash and ruin all his expensive front end work. Are clip-ons bike specific or can I just find the length I want and order them? Looking to go used here, which is why I ask. Also looking to stick with Woodcraft.

One of the pinch bolts on my front axle was seized and we destroyed it getting it out. I've replaced it with automotive hardware for the time being, but it is a 12 point bolt head which I would like to replace with something more standard. I have an OEM one on order, but Triumph likes to make all their bolts with a conical head, meaning drilling them for wire makes me want to strangle puppies. I would say strangle babies, but If you know anything about me it is that I'm a dog person. Who makes pre-wired bolts that I can trust?

Couple more questions:

When I dropped my bike off, Kates told me my next modification should be clip-ons so I don't crash and ruin all his expensive front end work. Are clip-ons bike specific or can I just find the length I want and order them? Looking to go used here, which is why I ask. Also looking to stick with Woodcraft.

One of the pinch bolts on my front axle was seized and we destroyed it getting it out. I've replaced it with automotive hardware for the time being, but it is a 12 point bolt head which I would like to replace with something more standard. I have an OEM one on order, but Triumph likes to make all their bolts with a conical head, meaning drilling them for wire makes me want to strangle puppies. I would say strangle babies, but If you know anything about me it is that I'm a dog person. Who makes pre-wired bolts that I can trust?
    Woodcraft sizes their clipons from the fork tube diameter. So what ever the triumph forks are is the size of the clipon you order. So if its a 46mm you order 46mm clipons. I believe they sell two different length bars. Standard and Long. The longer ones are so you have enough meat on the bar to put lever protectors on. Can always buy the bars separate from the clamps.

For bolts. I had good luck with probolt. They make stainless and ti bolts that come drilled. Just figure out what sizes you need and order them up.

James

Thanks James.

It appears woodcraft no longer lists clip-ons specifically for the daytona on their website...weird. Google tells me the fork tube diameter where the clip-ons attach is 50mm. So any clip-on in this diameter would work, or are there clearance issues? I'd guess the product link below in 50mm would be the ticket.

www.woodcraft-cfm.com - 3PieceSplitCliponAssembly2955mm

Pro-bolt, it appears they are not a US company? Any reputable US company so I don't need to deal with VAT or shipping? Or are these guys really the best?

I don't have the split ones. Just 50mm woodcrafts. I did get risers though, and I'm glad I did. the stock bars create a ridiculously aggressive riding position. I have shorter arms though.

Paul_E_D

I just ran into that same problem with one of the pinch bolts... I've removed them several times before, so no idea what was different this time. Tried a number of things to get it out, but ended up drilling the head of it off. Then, oddly enough, it just spun out by hand. So annoying.

And then the other one ended up needing to be helicoiled.

actually, now that I think about it, this was probably from the new set of forks which I hadn't use before. So I had only installed the bolts, never removed them.

and the clip on diameter you need for our forks is 50mm.

Probolt-USA.com

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Probolt-USA.com
    Hilarious. Thanks Jim.