Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2007 Honda CR85RB Build

Re: 2007 Honda CR85RB Build

have you clear coated the frame or done anything to help the painted parts hold up?

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: 2007 Honda CR85RB Build

Good question. Short answer: no... but a calculated "no" lol

The factory paint was still pretty solid, just rubbed off in a few areas with some exposed metal starting to look crappy. I didn't want to spend the time/money stripping it and powder coating - kind of a waste of money for this job IMO. But I also didn't want to strip all the good factory paint just to do a rattle can job. So in the end I opted to keep the factory paint, clean/lightly sand/prep it and throw a few light top coats on. This way, the frame is still well protected with the factory paint, and dings/scratches will be easy to touch up.

I did a few test sprays on some sheet metal with and without the clear coat, and the clear coat looked like ass. I liked the matte silver so much I just left as is.

Only other thing painted were the footpegs and kickstand, which I'm not concerned about. Easy stuff to touch up if keeping it pretty is important.

After spraying my DR frame and beating the hell out of it for two years, I think spray jobs get a bit of a bad rap. It'll never be powder, but with a clean surface/prep/proper application and high quality paint (Rustoleum high performance enamel) it holds up surprisingly well.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12