Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - breakdirt916

2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - breakdirt916

Putting all my stuff here as to not clog the other thread...

After my 1994 Yamaha FZR got stolen/recovered (again), I saw a sweet '07 with 27k miles, bags, rack, skid plate

I googled it, and found that garandman has a poll on strom troopers about theft - the DL *hardly* gets stolen.

I also read what NHBubba/TheIglu/Garandman say. Whatever ish they write about the bike, I'm like - yup, they get me.

Goals: ugly bike, won't get stolen, comfortable for commuting (=95% of my riding...last track day was in NHMS 2010), locking bags for storage, light fire road stuff, and check the box for more touring/adv riding for 2017. LED lights all up front. Reflective strips on the cases. Cell phone charger with bar mounted X-grip. Wake up, ride to Joshua Tree/Vegas/Santa Barbara for lunch, and come home for dinner. Minimal valve adjusting. Cut back on the fire breathing '94 YZ250, which as I understand, is trying to murder me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-04-17 at 12:38 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Re: 2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - breakdirt916

At first, another forum member wanted to buy it. So when first listed, I backed off...blah blah blah later, he backed out...so yeah

eww

gross

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

pulled onto the freeway that's normally part of my commute...WOT, redlining each gear hunting for acceleration somewhere in the RPM range, and it was unimpressive as expected. Compared to the lively pull of the FZR 4-cylinder above 7,000rpm, I was quick to mark it as inadequate, but then I looked down at the needle and found it was actually 95mph indicated. Alright! So she doesn't moan and scream while tossing her head back and wrapping her legs around you while she's twitching in extreme orgasm. She lies there, missionary style, and gets off without much show ant tell, the way a good wife is expected to.

Not quite what I expected for "torque off the line". The XR650L felt like it had hella torque...or at least feels like it wanted to loft the front wheel in 2nd and 3rd gear with a little tug on the bars and it's canon ball sounding exhaust. The DL didn't even like sub 2,500rpm...you actually gotta keep those rpm's a bit wound up. But not that wound up...more around the middle of the rpm range. Around there it was fun to be lazy on it. Leave the bike in top gear and just vary the throttle when on the freeway. Fun to just torque your way around stop/go neighborhood riding. Silky smooth, easy shifting, soft pull clutch for the transmission. Kind of reminded me of putt-putting around on an XR200.

Brakes aren't confidence inspiring. More suspension travel with pogo stick forks = more dive than I'm used to. Definitely better to use front and rear when stopping vs. sportbike front (mostly).

Riding position felt worse than a sportbike. At least on the sportier style, you can put more weight on your hands and the rest on your lower back. The DL felt like I was sitting on a stool with all the wind blowing at your upper body. I'm also too tall to use the wind protection. May try adjusting that later.

great headlights

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-04-17 at 12:41 AM.

Ride #2: took it for a 70 mile night rain ride...still not sure about the traction/tires. The rear did not break loose under heavy acceleration, but very easily under braking. Definitely brakes more like a sport bike vs. a dirt bike and heavy front brake biased. Straight line in any rain conditions were fine up to the 90-100 indicated. Around the city I was the victim of "try to hit the bike". A Mercedes just merged into me with no warning while I was in my own lane, then drove with high beams on behind me since I accelerated forward to avoid get smashed. Regular cali driving...but the bike was nimble enough to get me out harms way. Good around the city...on the freeway though,, I found myself hitting the limiter here and there. I also can't figure out how the windscreen is supposed to direct airflow. I still get smashed in the head with wind and I definitely need earplugs. If I hunch down it's quiet, but I'm holding the controls with my wrists at a 90 degree angle. Maybe I need the aftermarket screen, but will try raising the one I have. Going on a dirt ride tomorrow with the YZ, but VERY tempted to take the DL!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-12-17 at 11:31 PM.

Love the utility of that top case!!

Fits gym clothes, lunch, jacket, rain suit, reflective vest, gloves, knee guards, and boots in a pinch! But not *with* the helmet...But easily remedied with the saddle bags. Just a lot more keys than I want to carry...(one key per case)

Bike didn't want to lean on the rear... Handlebars wanted to turn instead. Tires were at 22psi hot... Brought them up, and WHEEEE...She falls right into turns!

Had the 20's - ish psi on hardpack dirt road again...It was okay over a straight sportbike, but I didn't like it much. Next set of tires would be dedicated sport touring. Leave the dirty duty to the right tool

However, bird did take a dookie on it. Meh.

- - - Updated - - -

did some dirt after work...bike would do it, but not with a smile...definitely bottomed the rear suspension pretty hard leaning back and getting on the gas over hardpack/washboard stuff.

Seems like something expensive is going to break (today just a turn signal), and it'll be a PITA to pickup after a fall.

softer stuff, bike on the verge of tipping over randomly

had another emergency swerve today...dude merged illegally over the double yellow right into me...I definitely need more lights and the exhaust mods per stromtroopers!

although it was sweet not having to load a truck to get home...35 mins, back home!

been reading strom troopers - maybe also a bead seat...and the stock windscreen turbulence is fo' realz...

- - - Updated - - -

FACT: with the DL650 (or any adv/touring bike) you think twice about stuff that will get you hurt

Yz250 would be trying to clear farther than the BMX kids LOL

DL...Nope. Fzr wouldn't even be seen around these parts. So the DL gets me here, but keeps me from going too far with it.

FACT: Handguards definitely help with chilly night rides. Heat the grips for perfection. No thick gloves necessary.

Still waiting on calsci website to go up... ordered cell phone mount, bead rider for stock seat, and still looking for a replacement turn signal

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-04-17 at 12:50 AM.

If CalSci isn't a go, grab a Givi screen. Mind is brilliant WITH the MadStad.

If you don't get a MadStad, don't bother getting a screen. You'll just be gambling on if the screen will be perfect for you or not. Madstad makes it adjustable.

- - - Updated - - -

And for the last time. Look at the shape/slope of the 650 seat vs the 1k seat. Like sitting on a ramp vs sitting on a nice flat wide seat. Try that first before you start fitting the stereotype.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

MRA X-Creen Touring Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension

MRA X-creen Touring Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension | TwistedThrottle.com

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    MRA X-Creen Touring Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension

MRA X-creen Touring Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension | TwistedThrottle.com
    My Dad bought that very one (from TT during their open house) couple years back. While it helps, it's no replacement for a decent shield and Madstad. And man, the price.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

like you said Clayton, adjustments are key. i have this on the Targa fairing or the Hawk and what you think should be the right position was a complete head/ear pounding. tweaks here and there for the speeds you will be traveling is important.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Madstad also makes a windscreen and you can buy it with the bracket.

It's pretty easy to fit the Stebel Nautilus air horn inside the cowling. I probably used mine 3X every time I went through the Big Dig Tunnel. If I think they don't see me and are going to change lanes, I hit the horn button. The beep from an air horn doesn't seem to piss people off like a disc horn does.

I went to nearly completely street tires as it's a big girl to wrestle off road. Because the size was the same as the original BMW GS there are quite a few tire options.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-13-17 at 02:40 PM.

well, well, well...the CalSci website is back up!

And so is the price...now it's $185

I opted for the madstad bracket + windshield for $233 shipped...buying the bracket separately would be $110 anyways. Ordered. Got my beadrider seat thingie...gonna go for a longer ride/eat possibly Friday morning.

Back on the road...

Saw a challenger zig-zagging up the freeway, followed by a 328i coupe and a C series. In the carpool lane by myself, I thought a simple roll on the throttle would match their pace, or exceed it.

Nope.

DL650: keeping you from doing dumb sh!t like racing cars down the freeway. (or wheelies...my rear tire just spins). Honestly this thing may increase my chances at keeping me alive.

EDIT: uh, 5 mins after I placed the order I got a shipping confirmation. Wow madstad!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-15-17 at 03:17 PM.

Got it...Tried it... Didn't even know it was there, but only tried a 30 min ride. Seemed to work, but let's see for realz on a 300 mile ride.

Also went to a bike night...Did not feel so proud riding up to a bunch of sportbikes and Harleys

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-04-17 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

Also went to a bike night...Did not feel so proud riding up to a bunch of sportbikes and Harleys
    I rode the VStrom to Boston Harley to pick up a new oil tank cover for my Roadster.

Two guys walked by, one of them pointed at the VStrom and said, "The world's best all-around motorcycle."

My standard retort to the sport bike kids was, "You think your bike is fast? I'll race you from here to Montreal." No takers.

Horses for courses....Stop torturing yourself, it's just a motorcycle.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-16-17 at 06:13 AM.

yeah, I know, I know...just takes a little bit of getting used to...and I don't go to many bike nights anyways

got stuck in the rain today

a REAL rain ride...like 6 mins into it your rain suit has been soaked through by water in many different areas, gloves are water logged, socks and boots are water logged, and everything sucks.

Felt like an east-coast rain...socal isn't setup for this, as drivers get way worse and the drainage can't handle the volume

Getting a little more confident with rain traction...only lost it a little off the line over painted lines

but having handle bars and ground clearance made me confident I could cut through deep puddles that cars could not

at one point I was standing up riding the puddles like whoops

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-04-17 at 12:58 AM.

I've been storing a G650x for a guy from the UK...and when he arrives in March, he wants to go to death valley!

so...any tips with the DL?

I know @NHBubba has done it

gonna be 600 mile days

My butt got a little sore thinking about it...so I panicked and bought a used Sargeant seat for a DL1000 for $95 shipped (= not a bad price)

madstad stuff will be here Thursday

I figure bring water, sandwiches/snacks, a tent, rain suit, sleeping bag/pillow, twin air mattress/pump, toilet wipes, toolkit, fresh socks/boxers, and tire patch kit??

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-20-17 at 10:52 PM.

Let me check the specs. I have a throttle lock that may fit your bike.

Lifer

I bought the seat concepts kit for my DL. Mostly like it. Shape is 100005958484 times better than stock. Not much of an achievement. I am somewhat disappointed at the .. I don't know, build quality I guess. Last summer I was out on a class VI and had a slow tipover. Landed such that the saddle was against the inside of my thigh at which point the under-wire coat hanger shape holder thing at the back of the riders portion of the saddle poked through, went through the back of the stretchy part of my leathers and into my leg. Hurt. Now have a nice 1" hole in the corner of the seat with this wire sticking out of it.

So that kind of sucks.

Seat is still pretty comfortable though. Just don't slide just so on it or you'll get a rusty coat hanger up the ass.

Lol

i will be beating the bike and the seat quite a bit so hopefully there aren't any ass snake coat hanger bits in there

4.6 gallons

Yeah shows my actual speeds to change a 50mpg bike into a 37mpg bike

I've torn highway up with mine and never got mileage that bad.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I averaged 32 mpg at a track day so that is some might aggressive streetin'.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-23-17 at 09:03 AM.

I ride way too much like an a**hole...I just need to slow way the F down and stop maxing it out for acceleration

tried some 2 up

"It will do it."

kinda

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-24-17 at 07:50 PM.

Super comfy pillion accommodation, leisurely pace....

Probably better with this!

Comfier. Less sore. Flatter. Better for tall guys to scoot back. And omg riding position finally makes it feel like a "touring bike"

Madstad next!!

Finally mounted it... Definitely awesome and a lot better than stock!

Did not line up perfectly, buy I kept everything loose and cinched it together

So what is the "right" position for this thing?

All the way up offers the best wind protection but the top of the windscreen obstructs my view

I figure a cinch down for daily, then all the way up of I ever want to hunch behind it

Took her a bit of light off road infrastructure again, and really not more than a 1st/2nd gear sort of bike when it starts to get bumpy.

If it's a question of *will* it do rougher stuff, the answer is yes...But 1st gear, feathering the clutch with your legs out...And you need knobby tires. If it's a matter of *want* to do, the answer is no. For now, paved gravel roads are all I want our of her.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-07-17 at 04:07 PM.

WTF is a "paved gravel road"?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast