Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - breakdirt916

Re: 2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - breakdirt916

Maybe you should just say fuck it and buy a crash motor for $600. Money you can always make more of, time you never get back.
    Guaranteed you’ve spent $600 on dumber shit before.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hmmm...it is true crash DL motor is $750ish at safari cycle and less guess work for compatibility

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

ugh...supposed to be almost done with home renovation very soon, but another kink and need another $8,500...suddently not feeling tear down/diagnosis/break/maybe fix...wanna ditch this and just focus on finishing the home renovation and focus on one bike project (YZ250)

Vstrom also made me "adapted"...I care less about pretty bikes with soul...

Aren't there any late model unpopular/ugly bike that are inexpensive to buy outright ($1,000-$2,000) and ride 20-40,000 miles, keep the top case from the vstrom to add on the back, then just sell before the motor grenades? suzuki bandit? any naked 600? any naked 250/300? sv650 naked?

by the end of this summer I will be moving to a room rental situation again with no garage/driveway/patio area to work on this thing. I can slip the YZ into my shed at my rental. Seriously re-thinking just junking this thing for $100 at safari cycle in long beach so I don't have to deal with it. I threw up a craigslist ad for $1,000/bo...givi top/side cases are worth $950+ brand new

Edit: I put an ad up to sell it for $1,000/bo and got 2 emails in 2 hours!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-22-18 at 02:00 AM.

I get that you feel exasperated right now, but the motor swap is the fastest, easiest, cheapest solution right now. Selling it only leaves you buying another clap trap or more expensive bike later.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Junk it buy a running one when you can.

I bet you can find many running dl650 with less than 20,000 for less than 2000

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Sold...8 hundo

Cash buyer in under 24 hours LOL

So the funny part is I now added the depreciation value and even selling for $800, it only added $0.06/mile

By comparison a vehicle that deprecated $6,000 over 22,000 miles (like let’s say a brand new car within one year of ownership) adds $0.27/mile

Time and time again...depreciation tends to be they biggest expense. I am never financing a new vehicle let alone purchase one. Buy something close to the bottom of depreciation, ride/drive it whatever left on its usable life and sell it

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-23-18 at 03:35 AM.

Win Win, hopefully the buyer has access to a used motor so he's riding in a couple of days

The Wee strom has ruined you for other bikes, just focus on comfortable ergonomics

Its been a slice and good luck on your future endeavors

The calculus of hate

I think it was a good call to let it go.

You don't seem to have the time to do a rebuild proper. Or even maintain a higher mileage bike proper.

Keep lookin for that cinderella deal on a low mileage, or well maintained, universal bike. Snag it, ride it, then let it go. Until you have the time, interest and space/tools to keep a bike for a long time, then play the buy/sell game to keep on two wheels.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    The Wee strom has ruined you for other bikes, just focus on comfortable ergonomics
    Ain’t that the truth! Not sure I want a 600ss anymore

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Keep lookin for that cinderella deal on a low mileage, or well maintained, universal bike. Snag it, ride it, then let it go.
    Agreed, to me this is the soul of my Moto experience. Balance of price, the maintenance/riding ratio, and getting those riding experiences that you’ll never forget

I remember reading the Reddit thread about that motorcycle thief and he said that if he found a basic 600 bike that was down on both sides, used, but had a perfectly clean and lubricate a chain he would walk away and think “no that Bike is his world.” - this explains it

I always see at gas stations, a used 250/500/600 rider with boots/jacket/jeans. He can’t afford a car and doesn’t do many track days. He rides rain or shine. He works a lot, and when he gets a day off he is riding the snot out of that thing out to the canyons with his buddies. It’s not about the technology, it’s not about having 10 bikes that you brag about at Starbucks or on the internet. It’s just a guy and his bike and the life they have together.

Not to say the other #bikelives are not good to each their own...ride on

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-24-18 at 10:39 AM.

Before you rule out a 600, jump on a 2003-2005 R6 or any year R6S, I'm quite enjoying mine.

Sort of like the FZR! I dig em...very comfortable, fast, light and reliable. Tons of soul, eats miles for breakfast and shreds the canyons, track, or even your morning commute.

I will wait a bit like Iglu says until the right priced, low mileage, bike comes along. Not limiting myself to a bike style or model, but rather try something new and ride it a year or two. Worst case scenario off season Vstrom 650 Rental’s are $65/day...that is more than enough to blast away in a weekend to the beach, canyons, Joshua tree and back

Have CASH in your sock draw

Look at Craigslist every day , hopefully with some search tools

Be ready to JUMP when I guy is selling out, drive there and buy while the rest are sleeping

If you are commuting my Burgman 650 was the best....

The calculus of hate

And my truck has a winch in the back that makes it easier to pull big bikes into the bed

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Man, I like the PR3 that is on there, but HOLY CRAP the Pilot Road 3, 4 or 5 is expensive as shit. Lowest I found was $175. For just one 160 tire. Jeeeeeezus.
    PR's have always tested the bank account. But man, do I love those tires. Great tire wear. Great handling. Great grip. Great in the wet. Even okay-ish in the off-roads, 'cept the mud. Every time I came 'round to replace I always managed to find the $ for the PRs. I'm a cheap fuck, but somehow always found them easy to justify.

Kid at work scrounges take-offs and random junk tires for a couple k at a time. He's young and has way more time than money. Me, I just wanna ride. I'm in for the long-wearing, great performing tire. Costs be damned.

I tried the Bridgestone ST tires on other bikes-admittedly not on the 'strom-and was less impressed from the moment I spooned them on. ~30% less money and half the tire. I found the edge of the contact patch on the rear a few times and missed the tall profile of the PRs quite a bit.
    The Bridgestone sport/hypersport tires are better though. Great value and not as flat a profile.

Ultimately for me it's a $ for peace of mind thing. I was utterly comfortable with the PRs and therefore quite willing to pay for that comfort.

Although I was ready to try something more off-road biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Congratulations I think you are the first to actually kill one
    Saw somewhere on the interwebs where someone had killed one with like 6k on the clock, something like that. Was probably a lemon from the day it left the factory. But something happened where the guy was without factory warranty support for some reason. As I recall he wound up with a gen-2 SV motor. Before he put the motor in he did all the usual SV tirckery swapping cams from a gen-1, etc, etc. Made a pretty stout, pretty sporty SV motor and then bolted it into the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Brakes are decent with galfer lines. I don’t feel the need for a fancy master too, just the lines are enough when paired with a quality pad.
    ... And now I miss my beloved DL650. What a fantastic motorbike. Ride the piss out of her!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    PR's have always tested the bank account. But man, do I love those tires. Great tire wear. Great handling. Great grip. Great in the wet. Even okay-ish in the off-roads, 'cept the mud. Every time I came 'round to replace I always managed to find the $ for the PRs. I'm a cheap fuck, but somehow always found them easy to justify.

Kid at work scrounges take-offs and random junk tires for a couple k at a time. He's young and has way more time than money. Me, I just wanna ride. I'm in for the long-wearing, great performing tire. Costs be damned.

I tried the Bridgestone ST tires on other bikes-admittedly not on the 'strom-and was less impressed from the moment I spooned them on. ~30% less money and half the tire. I found the edge of the contact patch on the rear a few times and missed the tall profile of the PRs quite a bit.
    The Bridgestone sport/hypersport tires are better though. Great value and not as flat a profile.

Ultimately for me it's a $ for peace of mind thing. I was utterly comfortable with the PRs and therefore quite willing to pay for that comfort.

Although I was ready to try something more off-road biased.

Saw somewhere on the interwebs where someone had killed one with like 6k on the clock, something like that. Was probably a lemon from the day it left the factory. But something happened where the guy was without factory warranty support for some reason. As I recall he wound up with a gen-2 SV motor. Before he put the motor in he did all the usual SV tirckery swapping cams from a gen-1, etc, etc. Made a pretty stout, pretty sporty SV motor and then bolted it into the DL.

... And now I miss my beloved DL650. What a fantastic motorbike. Ride the piss out of her!
    Certain arrangements can be made. 790A is getting closer and closer to being a real thing.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

No sir. Forward we must move. At all costs.

What do you hear re: the KTM?

I’ve been keeping a close eye on the Adv discussion, but it’s definitely happening. Ktm is essentially using some rally contest to give one away, though I believe the closest one is in Utah.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Agreed, forward...just rent a strom for the memories

Huh...looks like I forgot to update this

New guy disassembled the cylinder - his words “I am surprised it was running.”

He has it up for sale for $2,500 but he said the rebuild took him a long time...not something I wanted to do at all. Kudos to him!

But I am itchy for a street bike. My parking situation sucks. Traffic blows. Both will be solved in a few months.

How about an 04 Vulcan 500?

Google/YouTube describes it like a Vstrom...easy to ride, low maintenance, 50mpg, can do 85 comfortably, unpopular at $1,300 with 17,000 miles. Can probably offer a grand and come with a truck.

Goals: inexpensive commuter, can store jacket/helmet, ugly/low theft, and I can do 2-300 mile days. The desert is finally cooling off, but not too cold for night rides...I want to street ride to Vegas and day trip up the coast. I can rent 15 days and spend a grand (albeit a more powerful bike) or buy a bike for a grand and ride it 6 months and sell for $800

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-18 at 02:21 PM.

Buy it back.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Haha, I thought about it...Naah...it never really excited me enough to re-light the flame

More excited to try something new

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-26-18 at 03:35 PM.

I'm sure this doesn't meet your criteria but I have a 08 FZ1 with 60k miles I'd let go cheap. Runs well and I'm not far from you.

So you're saying the v Strom didn't excite you.... But you think a Vulcan 500 will...?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lol, no... something *new* excites me

Variety is the spice of life

If I wanted an exciting bike, I would spend more

I'm so far enjoying the Savage, what little I've gotten to ride it. It does exactly NOTHING with authority, but my wife is happy as a passenger on it so that works for me.