Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2008 Honda CBR600RR Dual Headlight Mod

2008 Honda CBR600RR Dual Headlight Mod

One thing that really bugs me is that only one headlight turns on when set to low beam and once you turn it to high beam, one light is clearly way brighter than the other. I've read on forums (dated back to 2004) of people mod'ing their bikes to get both headlights to turn on when on low beam:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=63693
    http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58476
    http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=11555

What I want is a solution where I can get both lights to have low beam and high beam settings. Is it possible to do that? Where can I find instructions to do it myself, or a place that mods bikes so that I can pay someone else to do it? I've never done any mechanical/electrical work myself, so the latter may be of more help, unless the former includes VERY DETAILED instructions.

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 2008 Honda CBR600RR Dual Headlight Mod

On my old bike (04 cbr600rr) I was going to get 2 bi-xenon (hi and low beam on one bulb) HID kits, and drop em into the headlight housing.

Was just going to wire them myself so both lows were on at the same time, and then so both hi beams would turn on at the same time as well...should be a pretty simple process to do so and it could all be down after the wiring harness connection so the headlights would still be plug and play

...Then I got a new bike, but it should be completely do-able.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-06-10 at 12:15 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

+1 on getting a bike without retarded headlights...except for the 1000RR

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Fixed for ya. No... I'm not bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    On my old bike (04 cbr600rr) I was going to get 2 bi-xenon HID kits, and drop em into the headlight housing.

Was just going to wire them myself...should be a pretty simple process to do so...

But then I got a bike that wasn't an unreliable POS.

CCS/LRRS #83

Its easy....I did the same mod on my Zuma

Just a jump wire from the constant power lead....done

Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

+1 on getting a bike without retarded headlights...except for the 1000RR
    Actually, the D675 has the same headlight set up, one for low, one for high....but they're both projectors and unreasonably bright

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Fixed for ya. No... I'm not bitter.
    Haha, I actually had no problems with my Honda, besides the free play in the throttle getting out of wack which was a free fix, and it just turned 20k miles (sold it to a friend)

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-06-10 at 12:20 PM.

Don't use the resistor method. Adapt the wiring harness and convert to H4 bulbs, as in this writeup:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=107894

H4 bulbs have 2 filaments, 1 for low beam and 1 for high beam. You stock H7bulbs have just 1 filament each, left lens for low beam and right lens for high beam (same power, but special reflector in the housing).

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote Originally Posted by qqac
    Don't use the resistor method. Adapt the wiring harness and convert to H4 bulbs, as in this writeup:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=107894

H4 bulbs have 2 filaments, 1 for low beam and 1 for high beam. You stock H7bulbs have just 1 filament each, left lens for low beam and right lens for high beam (same power, but special reflector in the housing).
    Yup, what he said. Do it the right way

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Cool, thanks. Where can I buy all this stuff?

Is this something I need to buy?
    http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_hilo.html

I thought the bulbs were the same exact bulbs but just pointed up for the high beam.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Do I need to modify the headlight housing? I've read that each reflects light differently.

Quote Originally Posted by davidianstyle View Post
    Do I need to modify the headlight housing? I've read that each reflects light differently.
    The reflectors in each are different and point differently.

|

Your left and right reflectors are different, but if you use kphybrid's method, you will notice that he recommends positioning the bulb a certain way (rotated to around 2 o'clock) so that the shielding in the bulb works with the high beam specific reflector in the right housing to produce high and low beams that are generally pointed in the right direction.

the BEST way to do it and not cheaply is to get a bi-xenon HID kit with projectors.

you can ship your headlights out to sickhids.com. i'm on 600rr.net as well and i'm pretty sure i'll be doing this. the only thing is i think everything costs 400 dollars. he then ships it back, plug and play.

to do it all yourself, cheaper, get the china bi-xenon projectors for like 100 bucks. get the ddm slim ballasts. use it with the d2s bulbs that come with the china kit. then wire everything up. (all a PITA i hear). i actually bought the projectors but after looking at everything, i decided i'm just gonna save up and have him do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by scr1be View Post
    the BEST way to do it and not cheaply is to get a bi-xenon HID kit with projectors.

you can ship your headlights out to sickhids.com. i'm on 600rr.net as well and i'm pretty sure i'll be doing this. the only thing is i think everything costs 400 dollars. he then ships it back, plug and play.

to do it all yourself, cheaper, get the china bi-xenon projectors for like 100 bucks. get the ddm slim ballasts. use it with the d2s bulbs that come with the china kit. then wire everything up. (all a PITA i hear). i actually bought the projectors but after looking at everything, i decided i'm just gonna save up and have him do it right.
    So, what's the difference between what you're talking about and the kit I posted earlier:

Amazon.com: 03-06 Honda CBR1000RR HID / White CCFL Projector Headlight Kit: Automotive

|

are you planning on selling the projectors?

I did a custom bi-xenon retrofit on my jetta back in the day....its a whole lot of stuff to fit, a mess of wiring, a lot of custom work, and it takes a TON of time to get them aimed correctly. It looks really nice, and the light out put is phenominal, but it cost me about 500 bucks in parts to do so. I eventually parted out the headlights and just ran stock ones because I didn't want to ruin them in a small fender bender. I don't suggest undertaking the project unless you're willing to take a lot of time, money, and risk ruining a set of headlights.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-13-10 at 03:46 PM.

Yeah, I actually got a PM today on 600rr.net recommending sickhids.com. I think I'm gonna go the safe route as well and have them do the bi-xenon HID projectors and the LEDs as well with the slim ballast upgrade. Costs $524.95 + shipping. A bit on the expensive side, but I agree with you, I'd rather have it done right than mess it up myself.