Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 636 from Kawi?!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

2013 636 from Kawi?!

This was just brought to my attention. Has anyone else heard about this or have any more info?! please i must know!!!!!!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ating-the-600/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Re: 2013 636 from Kawi?!

Isn't that the same online rag that publishes photoshopped nonsense, claiming them to be the unreleased photos of a bike that isn't unveiled yet?

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

dunno... Kenn just pointed this out to me

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

I just went to look it up to make sure, and I was right. They often release photos of what they call the "next gen XXX" when it's pure photoshop horseshit that they made up. I won't believe a thing that rag says til I hear it from a reliable source. As an example, they did it with the 2007 R1 http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=229539). Of course, when the real thing hits the stage, their web page about it disappears.

As someone I know said, they are the National Enquirer of sportbikes.

Last edited by Evadd; 08-08-12 at 09:31 AM.

wow, the new zx636r is gonna be awesome! Does this mean I have to buy the magazine to get more details?

yeah I highly doubt there's any truth to it. financially it makes no sense for them to make another 600 class bike that can't compete because its over the size limit.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    yeah I highly doubt there's any truth to it. financially it makes no sense for them to make another 600 class bike that can't compete because its over the size limit.
    The only market worth competing in is the consumer market, which has no size limit.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The only market worth competing in is the consumer market, which has no size limit.
    I guess you don't know about racing. they stopped building the original 636 because financially it made no sense to make 2 similar bikes with one that is already barred from racing. remember the old addage Win on Sunday Sell on Monday. bike won't win on Sunday if it ain't on the grid.

I guess you don't know about racing. they stopped building the original 636 because financially it made no sense to make 2 similar bikes with one that is already barred from racing. remember the old addage Win on Sunday Sell on Monday. bike won't win on Sunday if it ain't on the grid.
    That's only because there were already two models in production. If what you said is true the Daytona 675 would have died off years ago. It's still highly successful, though.

I have a feeling the actual market for racers is much more of a niche than the market for regular consumers.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Triumph 675 is legal in most "600" racing series worldwide. Triples are allowed more displacement, lending more credence to the "win on Sunday sell on Monday" claims........

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I thought 640 was the club level racing limit?

An interesting article from HFL about this very subject. I know this is going to cause a lot of controversy on a forum that is at least 50% track oriented, so don't shoot the messenger:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-money-wasted/

It’s time for the motorcycle industry to have a serious think about its priorities, because they’re looking bizarrely skewed right now. The classic mantra tells us that winning on Sunday sells on Monday, but is this really true, or indeed relevant?

If ever there was the perfect time to drive up the decimated sales figures of bikes and scooters, this is the time. Fuel is gaspingly expensive and while the price fluctuates it always goes up more than it comes down again, it rises rapidly but falls slowly, traffic congestion is choking our motorways and cities and it’s summer time (no really, it is…), the best time to promote two-wheelers anyway.

In addition, some new research from Belgium has shown that if 10 per cent of car users took to two wheels, overall journey times for all road users would be down by 40 per cent and overall economy and emissions would be significantly improved too. Everyone benefits from an increase in motorcycle usage, even those in cars, a message which could not be more positive.

So what is the industry doing. Spending money on marketing all these advantages? Putting right the misconception that two wheels are a dangerous way to travel? My daughter had a knife pulled on her on a daytime train journey near London last week, that wouldn’t have happened if she’d been on a bike. Hers is hardly a rare incident, yet we’re told trains are safe… Door to door, taking all dangers into account, you can often be much safer returning home late at night on a bike or scooter than taking public transport.

All this is tailor-made for a powerful marketing campaign, yet the motorcycle industry remains resolutely silent about its many powerful advantages.

The reason? We’re told it’s money, that the industry simply isn’t big enough to market itself in the national press, on TV or on major websites. This is of course a self-fulfilling prophesy: if you’re not selling many bikes, you don’t generate the income for strong marketing to boost those numbers.

The industry does have the money though, the problem is that it’s spending it – lots of it – in an astonishingly unproductive manner: racing. The classic mantra tells us that winning on Sunday sells on Monday, but is this really true, or indeed relevant?

Who do we need to be selling two wheelers to? Commuters, utility users, people after secondary transport for their families… many people who have no idea World Superbikes or MotoGP even exists, and certainly a potential customer base with very little interest in motorcycle racing, who will be influenced not a jot by who’s winning at Silverstone, Mugello or Assen.

Among those of us who know bikes and are enthusiastic about them, readers of Motor Cycle News for example, what kinds of machines are selling well? Adventure bikes, naked machines, all-rounders… none of these are being raced. And the categories in the biggest decline? Superbikes, which are doing very badly, while the supersport 600 class has imploded. Most manufacturers have dramatically slowed or ceased altogether development of 600cc sports bikes, yet while the left hand is doing that, the right hand is still busy pouring money into racing them, or racing to promote them.

Does winning races even sell bikes in the relevant road bike categories? Maybe it has some influence, but factors which are clearly more important include performance in magazine group tests, value for money, dealer reputation, reliability, comfort… There’s a clear and undisputed correlation between bikes that do well in magazine group tests, especially MCN’s in the UK, and subsequent sales performance, yet there’s none at all between race winning bikes and sales of their related production road versions.

Racing won’t go away if the major players stop spending, it won’t even get any less exciting. Motorcycling generally though will benefit enormously from a redirection of those very substantial funds into marketing two wheelers properly and effectively. Right now, it looks like nothing more than a very expensive self-indulgence, a luxury at a time when the industry can afford no such thing. There is no alignment between what the industry is trying to sell and where it’s spending its promotional budgets.

In simple terms, it’s stupid.
    I can see where the author is coming from, although I imagine this applies slightly less to the American market than it does the European market. Our market is definitely made up of 600cc sport bikes and Harleys, but I have a feeling that his quip about how little the average consumer knows about motorcycle racing applies pretty much the same here in America.

The short version: I don't think the average consumer cares whether their bike is 600cc or 636cc's, or whether Kawasaki is winning or losing in any given racing event. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday doesn't apply in the motorcycle world like it does in the car world (and its continually disappearing in the car world too).

Last edited by SRTie4k; 08-08-12 at 03:53 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I thought 640 was the club level racing limit?
    I believe that's the limit for LRRS for middleweight supersport. but I think for AMA SuperSport and maybe Daytona Sportbike and for World Supersport its 600.

in general the thought process of racing to sell bikes is that you wanna buy the bike that the guy you just saw win on tv is riding.

I believe that's the limit for LRRS for middleweight supersport. but I think for AMA SuperSport and maybe Daytona Sportbike and for World Supersport its 600.

in general the thought process of racing to sell bikes is that you wanna buy the bike that the guy you just saw win on tv is riding.
    I agree with you to some extent, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of sportbike riders (in the US) have never been on a track and don't follow motorcycle racing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Evadd View Post
    I agree with you to some extent, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of sportbike riders (in the US) have never been on a track and don't follow motorcycle racing at all.
    that's an end user issue not a manufacturer marketing/manufacturing issue.

But wouldn't you want to use a technique that works? I think that people buy bikes because it's what their friends say is good or cool. People buy a GSXR because they know it has rep. Buy and R6 because their buddies respect it. Buy a cbr because..well...it's cheap I guess? :

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    But wouldn't you want to use a technique that works? I think that people buy bikes because it's what their friends say is good or cool. People buy a GSXR because they know it has rep. Buy and R6 because their buddies respect it. Buy a cbr because..well...it's cheap I guess? :
    well of course there are many reasons people buy bikes.
    the CBR600RR costs more than the R6....wait is that a good thing...

well of course there are many reasons people buy bikes.
    the CBR600RR costs more than the R6....wait is that a good thing...
    I think the kawi is the cheapest out of everyone...yet you barely seen any of them.

I always thought Suzuki's were the cheapest.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I always thought Suzuki's were the cheapest.
    I think the kawi is the cheapest followed up by the gsxr, then the r6, then the honda. I think....

Lifer

Kawasaki models are cheaper than Suzuki in a number of different segments.

In a related note, I sat on a ZX-6R at a dealership while picking up a filter last night. Nice bike...

Last edited by nhbubba; 08-09-12 at 09:43 AM.

An end user issue IS a marketing/manufacturing issue. If the masses won't buy it, nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I think the kawi is the cheapest out of everyone...yet you barely seen any of them.
    EASY guy you might hurt my feelings

I know as of last year, the zx6r was going for 9,999. The gsxr was 13k.
    Now, I don't follow racing, but wouldn't mind getting to know it a bit more.
    Now if Kawi can keep up the rep that they have had for the past 3 years, then IMO if they came out with another 636 just for sales, I'm sure it would do just fine.
    Now, I only know what's printed, and for the most part kawi's had the best 600 for 3 years running.

Jumper mod, kleen air mod,
    Gold ZXR Bar ends, Akra slipon
    Zero G. DB windscreen, Skidmarx tire hugger
    Integrated Tail light, Driven Axle Blocks, Speedo Healer
    K&N Air & Oil Filter, -1/+2 SuperLite Sprockets
    PC3, Galfer SS Front & Rear lines, Shorty levers
    Powder Coating done by, Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Linteau View Post
    I know as of last year, the zx6r was going for 9,999. The gsxr was 13k.
    Now, I don't follow racing, but wouldn't mind getting to know it a bit more.
    Now if Kawi can keep up the rep that they have had for the past 3 years, then IMO if they came out with another 636 just for sales, I'm sure it would do just fine.
    Now, I only know what's printed, and for the most part kawi's had the best 600 for 3 years running.
    "Best" in terms of what? Value? Price? Power? Handing?

It might be the "best" streetbike (which is what the Honda is generally referred to as). You rarely see someone racing one at Loudon though. Heck, I rarely saw one in Jersey either. Some of that might have to do with contingency though. Yamaha, Suzuki, and Ducati are the only ones who offer it as far as I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast