Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thoughts on 2014 Ninja 1000

Lifer

Re: Thoughts on 2014 Ninja 1000

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I wish suzuki would get in on this and build something like this with with a big bore twin and hard luggage.
    http://www.suzuki-vstrom.com/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

needs more power, and i could give a rats ass about teh adv pretentions. if i wanted a bike to ride of road i'd buy a ktm.

although it would be cool if suzuki started to do what honda is doing with the 500cc line, all share a frame and engine but there are 3 or 4 diffrent bikes.

I've had a test ride on a 2012 Ninja 1000 and it's a fun bike and pretty comfy. I liked the z1000 better, its a bit lighter and easier to turn in, but other than that the two are pretty similar. As long as your looking at other semi touring bikes consider the gsx1250a as its around the same weight comes from a longer history of sport sport touring bikes(bandit 1200) and is around the same price.

The fz09 looks like an awesome bike... For the money. I'm sure with the 1000s in savings over other bikes you could upgrade the suspension and put a nice exhaust on it.

I really never noticed much difference in wind protection with a naked vs a small windshield sport style bike when riding normally upright. You don't get into real wind protection until the more touring styled bikes like the Connie.

Last edited by Tunertype; 12-24-13 at 11:12 AM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    As long as your looking at other semi touring bikes consider the gsx1250a as its around the same weight comes from a longer history of sport sport touring bikes(bandit 1200) and is around the same price.
    I'd like HP closer to what my 9R makes. That 1250 is pretty weak for a 1250, it's on par with my old 86 Concours.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I'd like HP closer to what my 9R makes. That 1250 is pretty weak for a 1250, it's on par with my old 86 Concours.
    Yeah guess it depends on riding style. The 1250 has nearly 75ftlbs from 2500-7500rpm vs the ninja 1000 is around 50 or 60 in that range. Then the hp on the 1000 starts to run away from the 1250 and the 9r has even more. So low rpm off the line and cruising the 1250 engine will have more power, but full throttle to redline the other bikes will start to pull away as the 1250 starts to fall on its face.

Wirelessly posted

And the bandit is an outdated turd. That looks like a gsxr that put on 100 lbs after it's boyfriend dumped it.
    No she's put on some lipstick, but she's still a fat pig.

I'd rather spend my money on a last gen vfr800 that despite having roots that date back to 2003 is still better than that bandit.

Lifer

The 1250 is an outdated turd? I thought it was a respectable offering.

I agree on being turned off to I4's. Loving my both of my twins. But them I'm also okay with having <100 HP these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The 1250 is an outdated turd? I thought it was a respectable offering.

I agree on being turned off to I4's. Loving my both of my twins. But them I'm also okay with having <100 HP these days.

That's funny, I have yet to ride a V-twin that excited me, engine-wise. I love the I4 rush and all my bikes have been I4s. I think it's great that we have so many options though.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Call me old (at 39) but that thing does not look fun to ride long distance to me. Like nhbubba said, I'm now used to the super comfy riding position of the adventure bikes. I can ride my Tiger on plenty spirited rides to suit me. I know there are guys out there that can ride full on sportbikes very long distance. Whether they're in misery and just too proud to show it I'll never know.
    I checked out the '12 model. They did not have a tall seat and the riding position was a lot tighter than the Tiger 1050 I purchased. No good option to lower pegs either. Initially Kawasaki did not offer ABS which limited appeal as well for this class of bike.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    That's funny, I have yet to ride a V-twin that excited me, engine-wise. I love the I4 rush and all my bikes have been I4s. I think it's great that we have so many options though.
    Yup. The I4 'rush' does little for me these days. I wouldn't throw one out of my garage. But the flat, wide torque range and narrow layout of the twins really has me these days.

Based on our conversations I thought you were starting to feel that way too. If the I4 thing is your bag, then this Ninja should scratch that itch.

I still need some decent seat time on a triple. I hear they split the difference.

Wirelessly posted

I digress. I like the power of i4s but I have no self control. With twins they make their power down low and usually sign off somewhere around 8-9k. Prefect for the street. I rode a busa, like my twin. When I decided to see what was past 9k pretty sure I shat my pants.

I think Kawasaki did a good job with this bike especially the 14. An aftermarket seat & bars but the basic concept is there. Getting up there in age & I have to say this bike has peaked my interest more than once. I wish other manufacturers would offer something similar. It's a market segment I'd like to see grow.

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
    2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC

Yup. The I4 'rush' does little for me these days. I wouldn't throw one out of my garage. But the flat, wide torque range and narrow layout of the twins really has me these days.

Based on our conversations I thought you were starting to feel that way too. If the I4 thing is your bag, then this Ninja should scratch that itch.

I still need some decent seat time on a triple. I hear they split the difference.
    The Ninja 1000 is a nice compromise between the typical V-twin and a typical I4. It's quite torquey and still has plenty of top end rush, based on what I've read. I imagine it's a lot like a triple.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 12-25-13 at 04:19 PM.

They really do. The engine in my Triumph 955 was my favorite of any bike I've owned. It had a nearly perfectly flat torque curve from 3k to 11k. So wherever you are in the rev range you can always just hit the throttle and scoot without having to down shift. Twins I've ridden have always seemed like they didn't have enough revs if you wanted to really go. So they seem to need to be shifted often when rapidly increasing speed(only bikes I've ever bounced off the rev limiter on were twins). I4's on the other hand don't have the torque down low so you need to down shift if your cruising and have a need for some quick acceleration. I don't have experience with the smaller triples like the 675.

::::::::::::::::::

Piggie, tell us what you really think ;>

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

I looked at the Ninja 1k before I bought the FJR. The only reason I went to the Fudger over the Ninja was the rear seat and two up abilities. One thing I didn't like about the Ninja was the seat, always felt like it was pushing you forward, needs a re-shape imo. Maybe the '14 has fixed this issue.
    the tuned down engine of that Ninja should be a bit torquier than other current I4's. I think it is a great offering for a sporty ride that doesn't want to be a dirt bike. Maybe something else to consider is the Triumph Sprint GT. A little heavier, but more power, more $$ but used are a decent deal.

I find that the power delivery from my 2012 is very similar to the SV's, actually. It's just that there's a bit more everywhere in the rev range, with the difference increasing somewhat toward redline.

Last edited by dontpanic; 12-27-13 at 07:38 PM.
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I'm probably the only asshole whom brought the new gen Honda VFR1200.

On paper I really want to like the ninja1K but for some reason I have a hatred for Inline 4 bikes.
    The V12 i have a a BIG bike, about .2 inches and 5 lbs from being a 'busa. but its extremly on the sport end of sport touring. it rides like a big sport bike, but im loving the idea of having factory hards locking luggage. I know i could have put a top case on my old sv1000 but i cant deal with the looks. my ego is too big. so since i was going to get luggage i went all out with the vfr.

The vfr is an amazing bike, but to get one with luggage new your looking at $15,999 for the bike plus another $1,400 for the bags. 17 and half grand is a lot of coin to spend on a bike.

but because the vfr was unloved there are new 2010s still out there. i paid 9 grand for a 2010 vfr with side cases, center stand and a winsh screen extesnion installed. it had 184 miles on it. it was the WIN of the year.
    The vfr has a 170 hp, shaft drive, radial six piston linked brakes with abs. its an beautiful expensive beast. Kawi is going to kill the honda based on the price point alone.

I wish suzuki would get in on this and build something like this with with a big bore twin and hard luggage.
    Great deal. That's a whole bunch of motorcycle for the money. And the build quality looks very good.

Nice review in CW. Many improvements in the '14.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Nice review in CW. Many improvements in the '14.
    Just read it. Nice to hear the seat is comfy.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    Great deal. That's a whole bunch of motorcycle for the money. And the build quality looks very good.
    I don't think the build quality is on par with the VFR, at least from what I saw at the IMS show. The power is plenty and in the usable range - even if 20+hp down on the VFR. The Sprint GT is less sporty and has about the same power with a torque curve that is a little flatter. It would be nice to see their Dyno charts superimposed on each other. The Sprint GT is much more of a touring bike, closer to the FJR than the Ninja I would say.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12